First startup of rebuilt F engine question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting close to starting my rebuilt F 145 for the first time. The head was resurfaced with new valves and the cam was reground by Delta in Tacoma, WA, plus reground crank new bearing, rings, etc. I'm wondering what I should set my valves at cold before starting so that when I break in the cam at startup and the engine warms up the valves will be approximately at 0.008" and 0.014" intake and exhaust clearances, respectively? What do you all think?

Cheers,

Mike

Whenever I set my valves cold, they remain the same when hot. Or at least very close to it. Even with my recent head rebuild with new valves and new cam, the valves were the same from cold to hot after initial run up - break in.

Did you get a stock re-grind. When I got a 250-S regrind from Delta years ago, they recommended setting them at 14 for both intake & exhaust.

Don't forget to spin the oil pump with a drill to prime and get oil up to the rockers.
Also, when mounting your valve train, you may want to check for rotational slop in the rocker shaft before torquing down the pedestals. Have a look at "THIS" thread. It's something I never heard of but just happened to discover it.

When we stared my rebuilt F, set the valves at a ‘loose’ 8 and 14. I used strait 30 weight as break-in oil. Then primed the oil system with the distributor out and an old distributor shaft and drill….cranking the oil pump until we saw oil at the rockers…it will take a while to fill the hollow rocker shaft….but it will fill eventually. Then we got the distributor back in…. Make sure it’s seated correctly….set the timing statically against the flywheel BeBe and started her up. Once up to temperature, went back and set the valves. I did mine with the engine off, the attached summary has you adjust at 500 RPM. I also dumped the oil after about 20 minutes and pulled the lid off of the oil filter. If you have a spin on, I’d get an extra and cut the break-in filter open…see if the any big hunks.

Attachment is a PDF of some basic F engine tolerances and data. Kinda’ gives you a hint as far as tuning and adjustments.

Attachments

• V2I735485.pdf
    649.9 KB · Views: 46
The shop that did my 2F told me to use Joe Gibbs break in oil, run it to temperature then dump it out. I forget what rpm I was told to run at.

Make sure you seat the distributor properly.

IMG_20220920_123147.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom