What did you work on tonight? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All the cars need some kind of maintenance (oil changes, shocks, CV boot grease/clamps) and I'm stuck pulling and diagnosing a dishwasher failure! My 4-years-old overpriced Kitchenaid has pooped the bed. Little bits of food were being left on the food and inside the walls of the DW after a wash cycle. Those same little bits were clogging up all the jets inside the sprayer arms too. I'd inspected and cleaned everything accessible from the front door so I decided to remove it from the cabinet, inspect the drain hose and take apart the pump. I discovered a micro-mesh filter that's imbedded inside the circulation pump had failed and come apart. This thing is what holds onto the small food particles during washing and then dumps them out when the draining happens. Not only did the filter come apart but it also damaged the impeller. Cheapest fix I could find was $170 just for two parts. A whole new sump/pump assembly is $240. But the heating coil is also warped and the lower washer arm is dragging on it. Add $70 for that. So over $300 in parts and that notorious pump filter is likely to fail in another 2-4 years according to countless online blog/forum posts. So I went and ordered a Bosch with a fine mesh filter that you physically remove once a month from the base of the inside of the washer and clean yourself. Anybody want a free Kitchenaid dishwasher that needs some parts to be working right again. It just doesn't sit right with me to take it to the dump.

thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnail7.jpg
thumbnail12.jpg

And finally down to the original shredded part.
thumbnail6.jpg
thumbnail13.jpg
thumbnail11.jpg
thumbnail15.jpg
thumbnail16.jpg

Last edited:
My plumbing issues stem from the former owner's over use of the kitchen sink disposal 😥
But the 1990 Whirlpool dishwasher is still chugging along :)
I blame the decline of western civilization on Jack Welch 😡

My plumbing issues stem from the former owner's over use of the kitchen sink disposal 😥
But the 1990 Whirlpool dishwasher is still chugging along :)
I blame the decline of western civilization on Jack Welch 😡
I'm on a septic system and know better than to send anything down the disposal. A little gets through the strainers but most get filtered and dumped in the trash. I don't know if I would blame everything on Neutron Jack but maybe his focus on profits has turned all consumer products into throw away junk that doesn't last more than a few years. I have a Kenmore freezer in the garage that is 25 years old so that's something. I wanted to buy a Speed Queen washing machine but only the top loaders are built to strongest design and my wife can't use a top loader with her spinal injury leftovers. I wish Toyota made appliances with a 25-year design life.

Finally replaced the rear liftgate struts on my '08 T4R the other day. It was underwhelmingly easy to do and I felt stupid for postponing it for so long. It'll be cool to not smack my forehead on the liftgate anymore.

Finally replaced the rear liftgate struts on my '08 T4R the other day. It was underwhelmingly easy to do and I felt stupid for postponing it for so long. It'll be cool to not smack my forehead on the liftgate anymore.
Which ones did you use?

Jack decided to have a look under his 4runner by putting it on its side. Not too much damage. Didn't get a picture until we got it home. Only his pride was hurt.
PXL_20240212_030420491.NIGHT.jpg

Glad he is alright!

Jack decided to have a look under his 4runner by putting it on its side. Not too much damage. Didn't get a picture until we got it home. Only his pride was hurt. View attachment 3556415
I’ve been that kid. If you survive you learn your limits
Or don’t, as in my case 🤨

shoot dang, where did this happen?

If you don't have a kinetic pull rope I would recommend getting one. After spinning the 4runner on its side to get it perpindicular to the road I hooked the rope to the frame and gave it a good jerk with the LX and it came right back over on its wheels. I could barely feel when I hit the end of the rope. I'll bet I would have screwed something up if I used a chain.

If you don't have a kinetic pull rope I would recommend getting one. After spinning the 4runner on its side to get it perpindicular to the road I hooked the rope to the frame and gave it a good jerk with the LX and it came right back over on its wheels. I could barely feel when I hit the end of the rope. I'll bet I would have screwed something up if I used a chain.
Oh man, you didn't setup a camera on tripod for us? Come on now :rofl: :flipoff2:

Yes, A Kinetic rope is good to have. Smooth pull with much power.
Also recommend soft shackles for those times when you need to connect to sliders, roll bars and frames. Where you cannot attach a D ring. saw those used just a couple of weeks ago, when doing a Snatch block recovery. Hope the repairs go okay. Glad no one was hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom