Rear pinion flange nut part number 90179-22011 has been superceded to 90179-22016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just documenting this for future searches.

IME the original rear pinion flange nut (at least on 95+ FZJ80's) uses a ~4mm thick plate washer as the original nut itself is not flanged.

That original part number 90179-22011 (at some point in the past) has been superceded to 90179-22016 but the new part is a flanged nut with a thick flange to replace the thick washer.

The photos tell the story:

On the left is the original rear differential pinion nut and 4mm plate washer stacked. On the right is the new nut (90179-22016) with a flange (integral)

FZJ80 rear pinion flange nut original compared to superceded part.png

There is a very small height difference between the old nut/washer combo of~18.8mm compared to ~20.2mm for the superceded part. The depth of the threads appear similar however as the flanged section of the new part is not threaded.

FWIW if you were to use the new part number you would not (obviously) reuse the washer which was meant to be used with the old nut that did not have the flange, if that makes sense:

FZJ80 rear pinion flange nut original compared to superceded part 2.png

This last photo may help illustrate how the flanged nut replaces the old nut and washer. IDK which is the "better" set up or if it was just done to eliminate a part (the washer)?? If you look very closely, difficult to see in the photo, the wear/pressure line in the surface of the used/original washer is not equally deep.

So the flange of the new nut will be pressing directly on the pinion flange without a washer.

FZJ80 rear pinion flange nut original compared to superceded part 3.png

Last edited:
My guess at looking at it is the washer nut combo will yield slightly greater clamping forces vs the new design. This is based solely on surface area being exposed to the face of both surfaces as the nut is torqued to spec. As the newer design has more surface area, it will bear on a larger area creating more friction. I don't think it will be much but, there should be a slight difference.

Will it matter? I sincerely doubt it. I think the calibration of the torque wrench, or lack thereof, will present much different results from tool to too. Add to that disparities due to surface irregularities, cleanliness or fluids/oils on the surface and threads, that minor difference in friction seems to disappear rapidly. I am sure there are other considerations to account for besides cost and I am not a mechanical engineer.

This is just a guess, so take it for what it is worth....

What is the nut size for this? not sure i have a socket big enough. Or after getting past the staking, is it only hand tight?

What is the nut size for this? not sure i have a socket big enough. Or after getting past the staking, is it only hand tight?
If I recall correctly, it is 30 MM. No, it is NOT hand tight.

There is a torque spec in the FSM.

Six ugga-duggas on a 20V DeWalt 1/2" impact wrench rated for 300 LB-FT.

There is a torque spec in the FSM.

This subject came up just the other day in another post, and in that post it was said that the FSM lists the torque for that nut​

at 181 foot pounds​

Below is a link to that post​

This subject came up just the other day in another post, and in that post it was said that the FSM lists the torque for that nut​

at 181 foot pounds​

Below is a link to that post​

Thank you!

I just found that one myself.

I know the torque spec, but I also know torching the nut to 181 will crush the crush sleeve, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom