Builds First LC, HZJ77 Build "Kengo" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have not really looked into the whole 3D print world, but it seems pretty neat, and I have heard there are some really neat advances in this world, where they are beginning to 3D print with metals even.

I am guessing the one on the right is the printer and the one on the left is curing it?
I took a lot of machining and CNC courses in college, so manufacturing has always been an interest to me. I got really into 3d printing at home and for work in 2015 before I had my first child and it was a blast. I took a little break with moving to different places wit work and more kids, but I bought this DLP style resin printer when I wanted to tinker in it again. You are right, the curing machine is on the left, this style of printer is really good at fine detail in small objects, but they are less robust and smaller objects than the normal FDM style (the kind that made your cup holder). Id like to get another FDM style printer like I used to have, but one thing at a time!

What I really am excited for is to get my welding area set back up, I really really enjoy metal work. Maybe one day I can combine the two and do some metal printing like you said! Such cool manufacturing opportunities out there!

Eh front coils are for wusses. And dentists. 🤣🫣 (And jealous buddies)

Did yours fail???

I tried to unbolt the harness from the top, yes the 8mm nut, and the whole thing made a crunching sound as it tried to rotate. I can see a crack in the resin now and suddenly I'm belching smoke for 30 seconds on bumpy startup so I suspect air ingress?

I'll keep the old one for a backup once it comes out. Smoky is better than nothing if you have a failure?

Eh front coils are for wusses. And dentists. 🤣🫣 (And jealous buddies)

I tried to unbolt the harness from the top, yes the 8mm nut, and the whole thing made a crunching sound as it tried to rotate. I can see a crack in the resin now and suddenly I'm belching smoke for 30 seconds on bumpy startup so I suspect air ingress?

I'll keep the old one for a backup once it comes out. Smoky is better than nothing if you have a failure?
Ouch! I hate that sound/feeling with old plastics.... Definitely better to not have that fail while out and about. I was actually thinking of adding another ring terminal to the solenoid as back up if I have an issue in the future, I could clip it to the battery and get home lol. But I need to have more confidence in my machine hahah.

I tried to unbolt the harness from the top, yes the 8mm nut, and the whole thing made a crunching sound as it tried to rotate.

Mine crunched today too when I took it out. Thankfully, I had a spare on hand. Make sure to grab a new mesh filter to install below it (22602-56350)

1674705235785.png

Mine crunched today too when I took it out. Thankfully, I had a spare on hand. Make sure to grab a new mesh filter to install below it (22602-56350)

View attachment 3229898
Oh man! That's exactly why I was pulling it... To check the filter for sediment. Now I have filter and solenoid coming. Does it look like there's a potential path for air via the resin, down into the pump? Or am I barking up wrong tree I wonder? Probably more of an electrical insulator?

Sorry @Blomdala for diluting your thread. 🥹

Oh man! That's exactly why I was pulling it... To check the filter for sediment. Now I have filter and solenoid coming. Does it look like there's a potential path for air via the resin, down into the pump? Or am I barking up wrong tree I wonder? Probably more of an electrical insulator?

Sorry @Blomdala for diluting your thread. 🥹
You’re all good, people were losing interest in my lack of vehicle related updates 🤣

Does it look like there's a potential path for air via the resin, down into the pump? Or am I barking up wrong tree I wonder? Probably more of an electrical insulator?
Good question. I just took it out and blew on it from both sides (my mouth now tastes like diesel). Nothing. Then, I put it in the vise and filled it with water for 30min. Nothing.

I don't think your air leak is coming from that guy, sorry....

1674739185717.png

Were you installing your aneroid?

No, I installed that ages ago. I was installing a tach pickup in hopes of fixing my tachometer. It sticks on cold mornings until I hit 1200rpm, and then it works normally for the rest of the day. I'm having a tough timing nailing it down.

1674739140123.png

Good question. I just took it out and blew on it from both sides (my mouth now tastes like diesel). Nothing. Then, I put it in the vise and filled it with water for 30min. Nothing.

View attachment 3229997

No, I installed that ages ago. I was installing a tach pickup in hopes of fixing my tachometer. It sticks on cold mornings until I hit 1200rpm, and then it works normally for the rest of the day. I'm having a tough timing nailing it down.

View attachment 3229996
Damn. Thanks for checking though! Sorry about the mouth wash.

My tach also sits on COLD mornings, but I haven't given it much thought, figuring I don't really wanna move yet either. Seems to begin "tach-ing" once I get moving.

View attachment 3229997

View attachment 3229996
Well I’m anxious to hear about this, mine is like @JDM Journeys and is dead until the vehicle is warm for awhile. However, I think my pump is due for a rebuild so I figured I’d replace things then.

Started putting together a cardboard version of the skid plate, hoping it comes in fairly close to what I need. That trans pan looks to vulnerable with no cover ha!

I also was able to get the cruiser into its new colder home in the shop lol. Last weekend me and my designated paint flake tosser painted the floor, the cold weather delayed the cure time but it finally finished this week. It’s not going to be happy about leaving the insulated garage, but there is so much space to work on it now! The picture looks funny, I think it’s the flicker of the LED lights.

I I have a knuckle rebuild kit and parts for the rear hubs as well arriving this week, planning ti get it on jackstands shortly and start refreshing all four corners. Not necessarily my favorite work, but very comforting to know your wheel bearings and seals are back to new on each corner. Long over due.

DC1ABB07-C108-4D32-93CB-09425D73452F.jpeg
E95359C4-D7E6-43D3-884C-7ED67888BD31.jpeg
404160F3-5B3B-4B61-8B81-C3E4F65BCDD4.jpeg
25428B56-BE0B-4B23-9883-611E3918FEA6.jpeg

Parts are trickling in, my goal is getting all four corners rebuilt and at minimum new leaf springs before cruise Moab this April.

@cruiseroutfit hooked it up already with a nice front knuckle kit! It’s nice to just be one I-70 drive away from them lol. Need to get a few more things like grease before I crack things open. I did order a roller stool as well so I’m pretty excited to be able to sit while working on a knuckle haha.
CDB76837-FBED-4A17-AB7E-2ACF88312F8E.jpeg
8DBA8967-B2F9-434D-9BEB-2C8FBB3D7767.jpeg

I also layed my hoopty skid plate template over the factory plastic cover and it looks like I’m atleast in the hunt! I am a little worried about rigidity vs weight, so I’m contemplating a plan to make a simple tube skelteton and just add a thinner plate “skin” to the bottom instead. Both from a cost and weight stand point. But I need to spend a few more hours laying underneath it staring blankly 🤔

7A6C66C6-039C-4BBA-A1EA-F3BC84B0F949.jpeg

As I was cleaning up boxes of tools and such, I found the packet that was in the glovebox when I bought the truck that has a couple previous vehicle inspections and owners booklet. The last owner of the vehicles name was “Kengo” which is a really good friends name from work in Japan. He let me borrow his 30th anniversary GRJ76 for a Land Cruiser camping event and it was the first 70 series I got to drive. So I decided that Kengo must be the right name for a 70 series. I’m going to have to fire up the cricut and get some fun sticker made ha. Kengo also means “strong”, and the kanji of the previous owner comes out to something like inconspicuous. Seems fitting for this work horse of a vehicle.

BB81FDEE-E0A8-44DF-8AE0-5D04741DD1D0.jpeg

Two big things occurred today:
1. I passed my final inspection and now the city will never come back and see what kind of hillbilly things are going on in my building(woo!). I will say however, looking at dodge forums, it makes the worst ideas on a Toyota page look like and event at a country club. It is actually concerning what people do with old dodge trucks lol. But I digress. This photo is just after the inspector left. I felt like I was ready for an 80s Toyota commercial my son and I don’t have good jumping timing lol.
4C2D4953-B099-4519-8D66-2DADA62CD602.jpeg

And 2. I christened the shop by finally working on the cruiser again (still woo!). I’ve made a short list of the things I want to get done before cruise Moab, and I’m starting with wheel bearings and related seals. I don’t know the history of them and while I don’t have any issues, I’d like to start with a clean slate.

I got my older two to come out and help me, but jacking up the rig, pulling a wheel, and removing the axle, they were done ha. They continued to hang out with me and play “school” with various objects around the shop. It’s also a little nippy in there so they probably liked moving around rather than sitting.

66D2C1A8-436D-4D70-AA75-5060DA6B1BD0.jpeg
4729878B-6E6E-4654-967A-3A5398BDF0B0.jpeg

The studs are a little crusty, it was starting to show its life in ***uoka a little bit getting those cones out. I’m sure to the east coast guys I’m just sounding soft over here 🙄. But I am toying with the idea of new studs, then I’d have some spares too.

6B21219C-DCD5-4DC6-BDBF-A3FCE2251B7D.jpeg
881BDFAA-E210-4B6D-9C3C-EBB0EE596DB0.jpeg

This is my first time working on a full Toyota full float rear. Replacing a shaft is so much easier than a mini truck. But the bearings are a lot more messy and such.

Happy to see the replacement callers and pads looking nice, considering I replaced them a year or so ago lol.
7BC6D6FB-6BDA-4FE4-A4FF-DF6F0DD8AB1A.jpeg

I’m sure some people are question my capacity to care for children letting a disc like that still be in service. Well guess what, it’s staying in service this time lol. One day it will get to retire, maybe.

FFBBB8E6-6072-4A39-AA98-94E8EDA9BFFB.jpeg
24ED8365-DAF5-464E-B8FD-D5739F83D3DF.jpeg

I was happy to see grease in there that wasn’t super gnarly, but it was interesting to see the crack lol. I also was wondering if i was wasting time and materials doing this work, but after scooping that grease out I feel better. The old stuff was quite stiff and my replacement grease feels much better even in the 34deg shop.

5F703015-8F2B-47DD-89C7-E4D95E29ADE1.jpeg
99D60528-BF52-4E79-AE49-41D4EBD3FCFA.jpeg

Races looked ok, but some wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom