Builds First LC, HZJ77 Build "Kengo" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think he is more active on the North America FB 70 series group than here these days. I tried out FB (just to join a couple land cruiser groups - the North America 70 series and the local San Antonio one) for a bit but closed out the account after a couple months, just wasn't for me. Mud is easier to navigate and research information. Hopefully @Blomdala posts here more often in the future! :)
You got me! It’s nice to see some pictures from people for ideas, but I don’t want to put useful write ups on there… not good for searching and documenting! Don’t worry I’ll get it going again soon!!!

I appreciate the kindness! If it helps one person then it’s all the more worth it!

I’m excited to keep this thread going in the next little bit. Lots of home projects taking all my time, but almost finished with my shop so it will be much easier to restart the thread! Hope you Have a great new year and stay warm! Our cold snap last week wasn’t as bad as yours was I’m sure ha!
View attachment 3201697
Yeah it was brutal. My dash pad actually cracked in half in the cold! 😱

Shop looks great: great reason to get projects going again in the new year!

Yeah it was brutal. My dash pad actually cracked in half in the cold! 😱

Shop looks great: great reason to get projects going again in the new year!
Oh my gosh! That’s bad! We only hit -16F here, I let the 77 stay in the insulated garage so it was just around freezing there.

Thank you! It’s been a labor of love, I’m sore but excited. Fingers crossed I can get the slab poured this week with the warm weather!

Getting closer to resuming projects here. Slab was poured and is now in the curing phase before I can coat it. I started moving tools and stuff over to the shop, but I need to finish the work bench done for the main piece of furniture!

My goal is to do floor coatings beginning of Feb, but that depends on temps since I’m a cheap skate with an uninsulated building ha!

9C20F900-650A-4122-AA21-85EF9B82A031.jpeg
65CB7220-9EC9-4AAF-BF6B-92C46ED85C98.jpeg
5C27DC9A-6B3D-41C7-A9BB-1BD26674A90A.jpeg

Looks like there is room in there for another LC. Can I come hang out? 🤣 Your shop looks sweet as, and it looks like you are enjoying CO, or at least being very busy.

Looks like there is room in there for another LC. Can I come hang out? 🤣 Your shop looks sweet as, and it looks like you are enjoying CO, or at least being very busy.
My opinion is I need to get more vehicles to fill it up 🤣 my wife has another opinion. But always open for a visit! I do love CO, even if I’m busy with other work!

Looks like the cruiser is upset about its photo shoots being canceled the last year 🤣. This is a first for it, vehicle is cold soaked to 40F, when I turn ignition to on (not start) the days will light up and then immediately do dark. The other acc circuits work and it will crank, but it instantly blows the 15a fuse for engine. I need to go grab some more fuses and I tried it a 2nd time with my spare and it did the same thing lol.

Anyone run into this? Need to break out the EWD and start looking around, dang it all.

I also find it interesting that I don’t have pins for the “glow” fuse. Maybe that’s on other engine models? I do have a glow plug system, but it runs without that fuse.
590905E3-BB78-436C-94DC-B8E2CC4F6AF4.jpeg
282AAB46-2A6E-42EA-8147-83B6B3B07F24.jpeg

Hey, I cannot speak much to what might be blowing your engine fuse, other than maybe check the wiring around the starter and your grounds. Since everything else seems to work fine and the fuse only blows when you engage the starter. Does the engine actually fire up? Does it get to the point the starter engages, or does the fuse blow immediately? If the starter does not even engage, then I would check the solenoid as it sounds like its shorted. What changed around the time this started happening? Or did it just start out of the blue?

I CAN speak to the glow fuse being non existent - My 2002 HZJ76 is the same. I think you are correct in assuming it is there for other engine types. I suspect for any non--mechanical (ECU controlled) engine it is required.

I am torn between being happy for you with your new shop, and jealous at the same time! 😃 I want to do the same at my place, but need to save up first, so I am struggling in my little single shop. At least I have that, so I will not complain. All the best in the troubleshooting, at least you have an awesome space to work on it now!

Hey, I cannot speak much to what might be blowing your engine fuse, other than maybe check the wiring around the starter and your grounds. Since everything else seems to work fine and the fuse only blows when you engage the starter. Does the engine actually fire up? Does it get to the point the starter engages, or does the fuse blow immediately? If the starter does not even engage, then I would check the solenoid as it sounds like its shorted. What changed around the time this started happening? Or did it just start out of the blue?

I CAN speak to the glow fuse being non existent - My 2002 HZJ76 is the same. I think you are correct in assuming it is there for other engine types. I suspect for any non--mechanical (ECU controlled) engine it is required.

I am torn between being happy for you with your new shop, and jealous at the same time! 😃 I want to do the same at my place, but need to save up first, so I am struggling in my little single shop. At least I have that, so I will not complain. All the best in the troubleshooting, at least you have an awesome space to work on it now!
I appreciate the kind words! I've been saving for about 8 years to make this dream happen, and having to do all the work was the only way to make it happen for me by now haha. My back hurts but I'm happy lol.

As far as my issue, It will crank just fine, but no power is getting to the dash lights, fuel cut solenoid, or my transmission ECU. So it not starting makes sense to me. To day I'm going to try and do some more testing on harness to the fuel cut solenoid. I'm praying that My solenoid is bad and drawing extra current (its easiest to get to lol.

I've already unplugged the glow plug ECU and the alternator with no change. Slowly eliminating system components connected to that fuse! After that it will be wire trace time....

I'm only upset that its dead in the small garage where I have no space to work! Dang it all, just a couple weeks she of having plenty of space to get it taken care of.

I have the f/c solenoid on order. Lol I think so does @Rigster ?

There must be a pandemic! Lol. Okay. Maybe too soon for those jokes. Maybe 2024?

That's what I have coming. Keep testing methodically and you'll get it!

There must be a pandemic! Lol. Okay. Maybe too soon for those jokes. Maybe 2024?

Did yours fail???

I do have an update…. But I’m not proud of it.

I disconnected my solenoid, still blew a fuse. At this point I’ve disconnected every major component that is related to that fuse (including the gauge cluster).

I inspect the junction, all the plugs and wires, nothing. Everything looks fine. I go back and look at a post from 2014 of an hzj77 with the SAME ISSUE, only his died while driving 😢. In the end he put a 30a fuse in there, it didn’t pop, and eventually he put a 15 back in and it worked. The suggestion was to use and amp clamp to find what wire is pulling more.

So I figure, ok I’m not going to damage one of my precious 24v components, let’s just put a 20a fuse in so I can keep the circuit alive long enough to check some wires.

Key on, hear a small fizzle from the RH kick panel then it stops. Smell a little cooked smell. Turn the key off, put a 15a in, no fiz, no pop of fuse, everything is on. Wtf. I’m thinking great, it just “self cleared” it’s contact with ground.

So I remove the fuse panel and pull out all the wires and connectors I can in that kick panel to inspect and look for SOME sign of short to ground.

Nothing.

I can’t find anything, it all looks fine, nothing rubbing through, no exposed wire, burn marks, anything. Went for a drive and tried every electrical function in the truck (didn’t take long lol) and everything is working fine? Even all the items on that fuse circuit.

So I have a bunch more fuses in my Doug’s tub now, and I may make a little stub connector to add to my solenoid as a back up for the future. The guy from 2014 hasn’t had any issues since, but I’m not stoked to have and NTF upon inspection when I know there was som short happening.

I know….shade tree mechanic status achieved.

In this case, I was referring to his starter solenoid, where we ordered fuel pump solenoids.

@Blomdala, while I am ecstatic for you to have your treasure back on the road, I am with you on wanting to understand and know what the issue is/was so you can avoid that, or fix it outright, once and for all. I am like a dog with a bone, and will worry at it until I figure it out. I hope you DO figure it out eventually, otherwise it is a concern in the back of your mind.

@JDM Journeys, I just got my package from megazip that I ordered black friday YESTERDAY, so hopefully that means you will receive your solenoid SOON. I will get mine from UAE tomorrow...

I forgot to share this picture yesterday, I was able to get my 3-D printer out of storage finally and on some counter space to use. So I made my favorite engine block print for a coworker.
View attachment 3228192View attachment 3228193
So I have not really looked into the whole 3D print world, but it seems pretty neat, and I have heard there are some really neat advances in this world, where they are beginning to 3D print with metals even.

I am guessing the one on the right is the printer and the one on the left is curing it?

In this case, I was referring to his starter solenoid, where we ordered fuel pump solenoids.

@Blomdala, while I am ecstatic for you to have your treasure back on the road, I am with you on wanting to understand and know what the issue is/was so you can avoid that, or fix it outright, once and for all. I am like a dog with a bone, and will worry at it until I figure it out. I hope you DO figure it out eventually, otherwise it is a concern in the back of your mind.

@JDM Journeys, I just got my package from megazip that I ordered black friday YESTERDAY, so hopefully that means you will receive your solenoid SOON. I will get mine from UAE tomorrow...
@Rigster Its so nice to have it drivable again... Always puts a smile on my face! More importantly I would like to take it to cruise moab this april so I have other things to focus on to get it ready, not wondering if it will start! I hope your solenoid arrives soon! I just went through your tread, love your rig, I never plan on getting rid of this truck, but I do envy your front coils! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom