What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (90 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We don't have a lot of salt on our roads here, as it is mostly sanding. That comes with the other drawback of rock chips and cracked windshields by summer. Take the good with bad, I guess. Nothing left to do except move to Arizona or Texas.
no thanks, other than the salt I enjoy it here

Finished replacing the door handles on my 07, switching from chrome to black. Up for grabs, 2 functional front door handles (DS/PS). The rears are not available as they were broken and the reason for replacement.

Broken anchor:

20221109_133749.jpg

I thought I might get away with never going back into the doors, but the driver door vapor barrier was torn up, and so I'll go back in and replace that when it warms up. For now, tape will do.

20221119_133845 (2).jpg

Thanks to @highkick05 for a great video on this. 1 :banana: job, even on the street in the cold.

Good handles:

20221120_213445.jpg

Stayed at my mom's Saturday night to go pick up its new little sister in the Denver area Sunday morning. 04 GX, 187,--- miles, it'll be the wife's daily. She'd been driving the LX in the winter and her 06 grand marquis that was a hand me down from her late grandfather the rest of the year. She's happy as a clam, we debated another 100 and a v8 4runner but she recently fell in love with the GXs. Which is hilarious as up until recently she refused to consider them as she couldn't get over of the soccer mom look of a stock one. Anyway, cool to have another platform to get acquainted with.

As for the LX, put on my rad rubbers which are nice but in my opinion pointless if you have all your stocks in place(I was missing the driver rear cover) and a new idler pulley today. Also did another bedding of my brakes. I've been getting a squeal from the front after the dba x3/610 combo. Followed their procedure after install but IDK wtf even after a healthy bedding today I'm still getting the squeal, mainly at light low speed braking. They feel amazing but s*** is getting annoying. Wondering if I need to pull the pads and do a regrease although I feel like I was very thorough the first time.

IMG-5634 copy 2.jpg

We're you having issues with power steering fluid boiling?
@ownerwent through some issues with overheating PS fluid recently
I was not having any issues with power steering fluid boiling… But on this forum, I have read many a story about the need to replace power steering racks and power steering pumps… and Toyota did begin providing a cooler for power steering fluid beginning in 2003… Although it was a cheap heat sink paper clip type.

The root cause of power steering rack and pump failure is heat… Super heated fluid swells spinning shafts, and causes premature failure of seals that create an expensive end result. I figured if I could cool the fluid, these parts should last much longer if not indefinitely… Especially if you use full synthetic high quality fluids.

I completed this power steering cooler installation today… And I found that after driving for as little as five minutes, the power steering cooler becomes quite warm borderline hot. I also found that the hotline into the cooler is much warmer than the cold line out of the cooler. So despite the diminutive size of the cooler that I installed, it is quite efficient at shedding the unneeded heat that could potentially cause failure of expensive parts.

In summary, that little cooler is doing its job, and I am quite happy with the installation. The fluid in the reservoir is much cooler now than it was prior to the cooler installed.

I was striving for an OEM appearance… all metric bolts and M8 riv-nuts… OEM constant tension hose clamps.

Finished replacing the door handles on my 07, switching from chrome to black. Up for grabs, 2 functional front door handles (DS/PS). The rears are not available as they were broken and the reason for replacement.

Broken anchor:

View attachment 3175843

I thought I might get away with never going back into the doors, but the driver door vapor barrier was torn up, and so I'll go back in and replace that when it warms up. For now, tape will do.

View attachment 3175849
Thanks to @highkick05 for a great video on this. 1 :banana: job, even on the street in the cold.

Good handles:

View attachment 3175845
Been wanting to know how to go about removing the door handle. I just hear it's a pita to unlatch the plastic from the rod

L

Looks great! Is that the Loncky kit?
Yep, it is! Like I mentioned, it was a huge PITA to install but so worth it when done. It's not a perfect match to the airbag color but it feels great when done and looks the part. Definitely a worth it upgrade considering this is a part of the vehicle that you have to 99.9% of the time touch.

My only recommendation is to not order directly from Loncky and get it from Amazon instead. I ordered through their website originally and 3 weeks later I never even got a shipment notification after numerous e-mails so I canceled and ordered from Amazon and got it next day.

So started replacing the tail lights with leds but realized that the lower tail light on passenger side was not working. Replaced the bulb with led and then with a new halogen one and still not working. All of the other tail lights work properly. Any ideas?? Thanks!

41BCD667-57EC-425D-90EB-721FFA2D18C7.jpeg

So started replacing the tail lights with leds but realized that the lower tail light on passenger side was not working. Replaced the bulb with led and then with a new halogen one and still not working. All of the other tail lights work properly. Any ideas?? Thanks!

View attachment 3177289
If you have a multimeter, check to see if you have power at the socket. Keep following the wiring back until you find power. Chances are, you have corrosion on the electrical contacts in the plug or a damaged wire at or near the socket. Should be an easy fix.

Edit: Most LED bulbs are directional. If your bulbs can fit both ways, try swapping it around before assuming it is a wiring issue.

If you have a multimeter, check to see if you have power at the socket. Keep following the wiring back until you find power. Chances are, you have corrosion on the electrical contacts in the plug or a damaged wire at or near the socket. Should be an easy fix.

Edit: Most LED bulbs are directional. If your bulbs can fit both ways, try swapping it around before assuming it is a wiring issue.
Did some testing today and it lights up when pressing the brake so I assume it's the bulb. I swapped the led around and it didn't work so probably it's the wrong type. Odd because I used three different type of bulbs and none worked. Thanks for the help!!

This was a big week for my rig. Got to install some toys and go for a good camper towing trip...followed by the annual Christmas tree haul.

Rented a Taxa Cricket for Thanksgiving
Installed a Kammok Crosswing quick-deploy canopy from the kickstarter
replaced my ML subwoofer foam surround (shoutout to Simply Speakers)
Installed Owl Expedition seat MOLLE/Extinguisher mount
NOT PICTURED: some new Bosch wiper blades
69075379035__DBE267A0-F169-4259-9093-2B656DC0BAE2.jpeg
69059540851__8CBE01E5-72BF-43B0-A4BB-B94D84EEDEEE.jpeg
68998385700__A75B0338-D033-4A07-A8C8-F766C8688113.jpeg
IMG_8877.JPG
69068140252__7DD37849-20F8-4C10-BC04-43E62C00DC57.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom