4 door Fj45 on 80 series chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few more. We had to use the torch to get rid of the old fenders. The previous owner had them welded ..... danm ! I hate when they do that🤬🤬🤬🤬

20211231_121740.jpg

20211231_121824.jpg

20211231_123658.jpg

20211231_123611.jpg

I have not given up on this one..... Work came between me and the cruiser and barely gave me time to look at it.
In the meantime, Christmas came early :
THE LONG AWAITED BLACK BOX FINALLY SHOWED UP !!!
This will finish with the drivetrain part of this project and allow me to get a better perspective on so much more.
I'm back ! Hopefully nothing will stop me now.
Here are some pics of the unboxing.

20220404_112341.jpg

20220404_112346.jpg

20220404_112334.jpg

We pulled everything out of the box. The unit seems well built .
For whatever reason, Northwest fab did not provide any instructions other than a hand written note on a yellow sticky....
Better be smart to install this one.
Nothing impossible but since I had never taken a transfer case apart, it's being a bit of a challenge to put back together.
I did figure out that I needed to swap the OE input shaft .I got that done fairly easily but I can't seem to get the transfer case to close up. If left it alone and will try to figure out what's wrong today . If any of you pros have an idea or a secret to get it done, feel free to tell me before I get too frustrated.....

20220405_141332.jpg

20220405_141346.jpg

Nice job on the splitter in front of the split case. Curious, isn't the fender skirt you made too long ? It looks great and it reminds me of Eshan's builds in Pakistan, keep it up, the ls is a fun motor.

It is. That's why I said that it needed some adjustments. We'll do it right.
I have a clean set I would give you.
The shipping could be a deal breaker though.

Seems like you already got it ordered, which is great. I have one BB with a split case and one that is attached to an HF2AV, but not run yet. They seem to work fine with either transfer case so it just comes down to wanting AWD or not. I would DEFINITELY add a reservoir and external vent! They get hot and try and blow oil out the seals, so give it more oil and a place up higher to vent so it's happy. Don't be like me and leave it completely sealed!
Hey Raptor,
Quick question..... How did you plumb the cooling system on your Black box ? As I said further up Northwest fab sent 0 instructions for installation of this thing. What pump, filter , reservoir and cooler did you use ? Some pics of it installed in your rig would be great , if it's not asking too much . Thanks in advance.

Curious if the NWF box will pump/move fluid just by the gears turning, I bet if you plumb it right it will move fluid, might not be enough to cool it. What fluid does it call for ?

Hey Raptor,
Quick question..... How did you plumb the cooling system on your Black box ? As I said further up Northwest fab sent 0 instructions for installation of this thing. What pump, filter , reservoir and cooler did you use ? Some pics of it installed in your rig would be great , if it's not asking too much . Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately the BB with the 2AV case was in a truck that got stolen before it was finished. On the other, original version, I ran a hose from the top fill port to a reservoir/breather up on the firewall. There is a thread on mud somewhere detailing the electric pump setup with reservoir. I'll try my reservoir first and if its still getting too hot ill add an electric pump setup.

I was wondering what kind of a tank I could use to supply the black box with oil and I ran across an oil bag from an old Harley build I did years ago. I just lovecool old parts . It holds exactly 4 quarts too.
I'll have to modify it some to mount it but it definitely will work. It even has a gauge. I'm happy to have found that .

20220414_123044.jpg

20220414_123054.jpg

20220414_123108.jpg

20220414_123122.jpg

Hey guys,
Still hoping to finish this up but again , life and circumstances kind of stopped me. A war broke out here, riots.... gangs took over most of the country and no fuel around.
Clearly we had to close the shop . Took almost 3 months for things to get better. They did.
So , tomorrow we're opening back up.
I'll be posting updates as we move along with this monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom