What's On The Grill Tonight? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried my hand at smoking last week. First brisket turned out pretty good. It’s going to be hard to justify a dedicated smoker…

7AEB62AF-C21B-48BD-94FD-FF5B33703F4E.jpeg

8DC1E2C7-0E37-4D0A-802D-5D6EB1896F8C.jpeg

I tried my hand at smoking last week. First brisket turned out pretty good. It’s going to be hard to justify a dedicated smoker…

View attachment 3142416

View attachment 3142417

Looks pretty good to me.

I built up a ghetto big green egg / Kamado Joe smoker.
Have slowly been improving it and slowly mastering smoking meats
It's quite a learning process. I've had lots of very tasty screw ups :lol:

Try slow smoking a block of cheese. Fun recipe, I did with a friend.

Any favorite brands of charcoal? I picked up a bag of some stuff that needed constant bellows to stay ignited. I think that briquets are made to burn too slow at altitude, and everyone here just eats tv dinners to the company of cellular phones and drinks expensive looking cheap wine.

It reminds me of that chunk of butter that gets stored in the fridge with fresh coffee ground for a day, flavor magnet!

Try slow smoking a block of cheese. Fun recipe, I did with a friend.

Any favorite brands of charcoal? I picked up a bag of some stuff that needed constant bellows to stay ignited. I think that briquets are made to burn too slow at altitude, and everyone here just eats tv dinners to the company of cellular phones and drinks expensive looking cheap wine.

It reminds me of that chunk of butter that gets stored in the fridge with fresh coffee ground for a day, flavor magnet!
I always bought cowboy lump charcoal. It always had of small pieces that seemed to fall through the grate before they get burned, but it was always one of the cheaper ones and I thought that was part of it. I went to get a new bag last weekend and all they had left was “Jealous Devil”. More expensive than what I was used to but oh well. It burned 50 degrees hotter and lit twice as fast. Very little ash as well.

Hijack here. I was trying to heat steel 1/4"-steel rivets. I heard that wood could do it, kinda bulky, needs major oxidizer to get hot enough. They make oxy weld/cut stuff that uses compressed oxygen and gasoline? I'm pretty sure that oxygen is the limiting fuel source in most cases.

Any favorite brands of charcoal?
I use B&B, Royal Oak, and the Cowboy brand lump charcoal, B&B Competition is probably my favorite. Each brand has different hardwood mixes, oak, hickory, mesquite.

I haven't used briquettes in ages, lump coal is where it's at.

Chicken breasts and asparagus hit the grill tonight.
20221021_175842.jpg
20221021_190737.jpg
20221021_183532.jpg

Tomorrow is 2 petite pork tenderloins, wrapped in bacon.

Well, the wife is baking a triple batch of bannama bread and asked me to make potato soup.
So. potatoes ready, leeks and onions ready for sautee, bacon cooked n rendered for sautee.
Blender is out with chicken broth, and just pulled 3 little rib eyes off the grill to be cut up and go in.
mushrooms and onions into sautee of leeks.
We are having our first real drop in temps, but nothing like you guys up north.

A couple tenderloin cuts hitting the smoker.

One is just brown sugar and syrup, and a little Meat Church Holy Gospel rub

The other has jalapeños stuffed with jalapeno cream cheese, sprinkles with some Holy Voodoo from Meat Church.

Obviously wrapped up in bacon.

20221024_115434.jpg
20221024_115437.jpg
20221024_120814.jpg

Last edited:
Smoked at 250 indirect for a couple of hours. Pulled at 150 internal temp. Ramped the temp up to about 350ish direct to crisp the bacon a tad more.

Wrapped in foil and tossed in the oven for later. (The oven is off)
20221024_143226.jpg
20221024_143233.jpg

Do you ever cook at lower than 250?
Does 225F count?

I don’t cold smoke anything, if I try to burn any lower than 225 it puts off the pungent, nasty smoke that’s unhealthy and puts a bitter taste to the food. Just the nature of my smoker. Hopefully I can get the offset smoker built this winter, I don’t think it will help with smoking anything at a lower temperature but at least I will be able to smoke a helluva lot more food at once.

Does 225F count?

I don’t cold smoke anything, if I try to burn any lower than 225 it puts off the pungent, nasty smoke that’s unhealthy and puts a bitter taste to the food. Just the nature of my smoker. Hopefully I can get the offset smoker built this winter, I don’t think it will help with smoking anything at a lower temperature but at least I will be able to smoke a helluva lot more food at once.

Cool. I have the same experience with my ghetto-Q

Some chili, soaking up some smoke now.
20221105_142633.jpg
20221105_142636.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom