What's On The Grill Tonight? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn it, Looks like I will have to drive up there and deliver your map in person.
My daughter crashed the party with a bunch of teenagers that acted like they haven't had a solid meal in 66 days.

2lbs sirloin
2lbs ground beef
1lb sausage
2 onions
Half a head of garlic
2 jalapeños
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of green chilis

Homemade cornbread.

A bag of big scoop Fritos.

And no leftovers. All gone. I was planning to have half of it leftover for a meal on Tuesday night.

Made a tri tip w homemade mac & cheese over the weekend. Good stuff! Just a simple dry rub of salt, pepper, & garlic on the tri tip and the wife made the mac & cheese with a recipe she found online. All in all , pretty good eats that was fairly easy to make all the way around. This thread definitely got me thinking about broadening the horizons. I like having good foot at the ready when company comes over.

To really get good results on a tri tip, you need to grill it Santa Maria style.
Over a flame and no cover/grill lid.
If I am up on my game, then it will take about 3 hrs.

I dug a decent sized brisket out of the freezer last weekend,.
20221112_184300.jpg
20221112_184315.jpg
20221112_184706.jpg

Does it cook up the same after being frozen?
I would assume that it does, it's safe to say that probably all the brisket that I can get has been frozen at one time. Even given the fact that I buy them from the local butcher.

I would assume that it does, it's safe to say that probably all the brisket that I can get has been frozen at one time. Even given the fact that I buy them from the local butcher.
Really? Why is that?
Isn't Montana a major producer of beef? I would have thought fresh beef was readily available?

I prefer to cook with meat that's never been frozen. It's not always practical though.

I find previously frozen meats loose a lot of liquid in the thawing process.
Was curious if that impacted your low and slow cooked BBQ results

Really? Why is that?
Isn't Montana a major producer of beef? I would have thought fresh beef was readily available?

I prefer to cook with meat that's never been frozen. It's not always practical though.

I find previously frozen meats loose a lot of liquid in the thawing process.
Was curious if that impacted your low and slow cooked BBQ results
I can get more common cuts that haven't been frozen, pork, beef, and some yard birds. The larger cuts that don't sell as fast usually find their place in the walk-in freezer. Usually any prime cuts I can get fresh, some cut to order, my guess there is some supply and demand. Prime cuts of beef, NY strip, prime rib, ribeyes, and such sell faster than a 12-15lb slab of brisket. s***, realistically most people probably don't really know how to smoke a brisket.

I can get more common cuts that haven't been frozen, pork, beef, and some yard birds. The larger cuts that don't sell as fast usually find their place in the walk-in freezer. Usually any prime cuts I can get fresh, some cut to order, my guess there is some supply and demand. Prime cuts of beef, NY strip, prime rib, ribeyes, and such sell faster than a 12-15lb slab of brisket. s***, realistically most people probably don't really know how to smoke a brisket.
That makes sense.

A lot of larger or less in demand cuts will be vacuum sealed over here for longer storage

That makes sense.

A lot of larger or less in demand cuts will be vacuum sealed over here for longer storage
Also given today's beef prices I buy stuff that's on sale, sometimes a lot of that stuff, which winds up in my freezer, with all the other stuff I bought on sale.

I hear you there! Doing a brisket or a pork shoulder is kind of an extravagant treat
Brisket is normally $3.99lb, I buy 2 when it goes on sale, @ $2.49-2.99lb

Pork butts I only buy at $1.49lb, they usually run $2.99-3.99lb.

Brisket is normally $3.99lb, I buy 2 when it goes on sale, @ $2.49-2.99lb

Pork butts I only buy at $1.49lb, they usually run $2.99-3.99lb.

Beef here is upwards of $20 kg for cheap cuts at supermarket.
Premium quality beef from a butchery can be $40kg
( We don't use the same grading system as USA does)

AUD$40kg = AUD$18lb, or about USD $12/lb

Beef here is upwards of $20 kg for cheap cuts at supermarket.
Premium quality beef from a butchery can be $40kg
( We don't use the same grading system as USA does)

AUD$40kg = AUD$18lb, or about USD $12/lb
Holy crap that’s expensive!!! I bitch when I pay over $3/pound for prime which sadly is the norm these days. Good 12-13 pounder is a fortune and then you trim a pound or two off getting it ready. I’m gonna start saving the good trimming and start making some sausage with it now that I’m getting settled.

Holy crap that’s expensive!!! I bitch when I pay over $3/pound for prime which sadly is the norm these days. Good 12-13 pounder is a fortune and then you trim a pound or two off getting it ready. I’m gonna start saving the good trimming and start making some sausage with it now that I’m getting settled.
They probably only pay .29c lb for prime Roo meat!

They probably only pay .29c lb for prime Roo meat!
For the dog!!

Can't eat roo. My ex once completely stunk out the house thawing cheap, borderline rank roo meat in the microwave for the dog.
Pet grade roo meat is all the old nasty stuff. It can be hella gamey.
It's a smell that'll never leave my mind 🤢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom