Weird clunk when turning right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Around 1 week after replacing the sway bar bushing and end links I started experiencing a weird noise when turning right (yes, only right) on the driver side. I've captured some clips to try to see any weird movement and to capture the noise. I'm not sure if that noise is too loud to be the steering rack (if the internal seals would have failed) there are no leaks either. Other idea are my control arms, ball joints are due...

I also pointed at the GoPro at sway bar itself in a different video but there is no movement there. Same thing for the differential mounts, no movement.

I do have a TJM bumper that might be squeezing with the front quarter panel (above the wheel well). If I come to a complete stop and turn, no noise. If I take the turn around 5-10mph, noise.

Give me ideas on what to look at!

That was my next place to put the gopro but it got dark. Also, wouldn't the bushing cause the noise to happened when I turn on either side ?

Tough to tell but I’d put my money on loose control arm bolt, bad control arm bushings, or ball joint.

I just did those. New shocks, uca, lca, sway bar bushings and links front and rear, steering rack bushings

Failed ball joints are easy to identify by a front end shop. Don’t skimp on the replacement if one is bad.

Just finished replacing the front lower and upper ball joints, I'm using adjustable SPC upper control arm and now need an alignment. The noise is still there. I did see some weird loose bushing for the front lower control arm rear bushing, the one in line with the torsion bar. I'm gonna do some more investigation and see what I find.

I have the same sound, I posted in another thread about it here with a ton of video examples: Anyone know what this popping noise is from the drivers front? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anyone-know-what-this-popping-noise-is-from-the-drivers-front.1262279/#post-14236036

I haven’t had time to fix it yet. My mechanic wasn’t concerned with the noise when I brought it in a month ago.

However, it might just be a body mount as seen in these two threads: Help with Front end Pop- Solved sorta - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-with-front-end-pop-solved-sorta.1283509/post-14445293

Here is what I've done today:

Lube all body mounts listed below with silicon spray lubricant.(no change to noise) some are really hard to reach the top part, however the noise is from the front of the truck and i was able to lube those easily.

I then reached in deeper to inspect the front lower control arm "Bushing No.2" which is the rear ones mounted inside the frame. You guys can judge from the picture... The passenger side is harder to capture a decent angle due to mount in the way.

I also included a video on how i reached to that angle to just give some perspective. I've read other post saying those bushings are really though, but those look shot.

Give me your opinions.

1666048555356.png
IMG_20221017_170059.jpg
IMG_20221017_170206.jpg

Speaking of clunk in the front end, this is where mine is coming from.
9F2981EB-1B45-4E14-9D09-4BDBD9A53EE9.gif

This is in the driver side. Same thing on the passenger side. 260k miles. Never been replaced.

To get to see that play, you have the truck lifted off the ground ? And turning the steering wheel ? Or by hand ?
Yes the truck is lifted up, engine running and my 14yo daughter was turning the wheel to simulate the movement. I think this is also the reason why my steering wanders even if the road is flat w/o a crest.

I replaced the sway bar bushings (the ones mounted above the torsion bars) and the noise went away.

The ones I had installed were about 4 months old 26mm poly and bought 27mm poly and pre lube them with regular grease during the install and noise went away. I guess the olders ones were too tight and not letting the sway bar move freely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom