Anyone know what this popping noise is from the drivers front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all!

when I put the truck in gear (drive or reverse) and turn while braking, I get a popping noise from the drivers front. Any ideas?

Hmmm not sure but sounds like ball joint? And good god you texans and your clean undercarriage, hate you.

Hmmm not sure but sounds like ball joint? And good god you texans and your clean undercarriage, hate you.
Here is the upper joint. Little split in it but plan on just replacing all upper and lower and possibly tie rod ends as well.

EA822DAC-530D-4325-94D0-FFC5D0CAEE87.jpeg

Had the same thing happen with mine. It's the lower ball joint and you should get it replaced soon

It sounds exactly like when my lower ball joint started going bad. I'd try to get it diagnosed and replaced as soon as possible since they fall out super easily in these things.
For me to have this happen I have to have it in drive or reverse and hold the brake down while I turn. Same with you?

@txaggie76 thanks for posting this video, I am battling the same pop on my LX that developed after replacing upper and lower front control arms. Figured it was one of the two, but hadn't isolated it. Happens when I turn left, slowly in parking lots.

@txaggie76 thanks for posting this video, I am battling the same pop on my LX that developed after replacing upper and lower front control arms. Figured it was one of the two, but hadn't isolated it. Happens when I turn left, slowly in parking lots.

interesting! I have minor boot tear on the upper but both joints seem to be tight. Could this a hub bearing or cv issue?

I have this or something very similar I notice sometimes. I haven't narrowed it down to what causes it just yet so I haven't posted about it. Seems to happen when turning left up into my slightly raised driveway and comes from the driver side.

When I brought it in to get my alignment done, they were convinced it was something I messed up on my recent front end job and said they fixed it. But when they gave it back to me, it still made the noise. I didn't replace the driver side control arms, so maybe those ball joints are shot but the sound I hear seems too "heavy" to be a ball joint. The shop I brought it to seemed somewhat confident it was a front diff bushing when I told them it was still making the sound after I got it back.

I haven't cared enough to really look into it just yet. Maybe this anecdote can help.

I have the same issue, and during a ride along a tech told me they would never be able to find it because it was so faint. I guess at least they didn't just guess and have me throw parts at it. I haven't been able to isolate it either.

One thing that I don’t think anyone has mentioned are the steering stoppers. If these things don’t have grease on them or the plastic cover, they will make a popping noise at full lock when going over bumps.

I could have sworn this subject came up in the last three weeks and was solved, but I can't remember the solution or find the thread. I think it was something to do with a loose upper control arm component after a mechanic fitted new parts for the owner (who usually did things himself)

Perhaps someone else can find the thread?

Gosh I'm pleased to have a simple 105! :)

EDIT: I found it: Popping sound from forward and rearward momentum - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/popping-sound-from-forward-and-rearward-momentum.1254811/#post-13980835

Last edited:
One thing that I don’t think anyone has mentioned are the steering stoppers. If these things don’t have grease on them or the plastic cover, they will make a popping noise at full lock when going over bumps.
Didn't realize these needed grease! Exact popping noise i've been getting, and you can see where the stopper has been rubbing on the knuckle. Lower ball joints were replaced like 2 years ago and uppers a year ago. Just use same NGLI2 as drive shafts?

Didn't realize these needed grease! Exact popping noise i've been getting, and you can see where the stopper has been rubbing on the knuckle. Lower ball joints were replaced like 2 years ago and uppers a year ago. Just use same NGLI2 as drive shafts?
Yep. Marine grade grease lasts longer but anything will work.

I will never turn the wheel while holding the brakes. this puts TON of pressure on the steering rack, ball joints and bushings. Do you hear the same popping sound when your foot is off the brake?

To add to this noise, here is my cruiser making a very similar noise on the driver side that I took last night.

A little history in my situation: I recently replaced the steering rack, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, lower steering shaft, and CVs in June 2021. The noise was present before and after. :confused:. I only replaced the passenger side control arms because they looked really old.

So the driver side Control Arms haven't been replaced since I got it, but they looked pretty new. It seemed like the PO had some unlisted service in the history that redid the whole driver side suspension area that looked somewhat recent: torsion bar, upper control arm, and lower control arm (all toyota parts). The stickers were still on them. I recently had the undercarriage redone, so all of that are covered up and sprayed with Fluid film as well.

Judging by what I'm hearing, even though my control arms pretty looked new, they may need to be replaced. :bang: I was thinking it was a sway bar issue? But in these videos, granted they're taken at night, nothing moves when that pop noise is heard. It's not like a part is loose and hitting into another part.

And if you're looking closely, looks like my new CV is already leaking. :cool:

Facing back under Lower Control Arm 1:

Facing back under Lower Control Arm 2:

Facing the back under the front:

Facing forwards under Lower Control Arm (looks like a decent amount of movement in my brand new rack, too! :eek:)

Directly looking at the Torsion Bar:

It’s looking like the upper control arm. I took the wheel off today and I managed to capture a video that shows the UPC moving slightly at the exact moment of that sound. I have to upload still but I figure I’d share that. So I’m tightening that piece as much as I can but I’m assuming that bushing is shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom