Window Gasket Care? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
So, I drive the best 80 series color released. White. Debate and be wrong all you want. I think its actually in the FAQs. But when I go to wax it, the black window gaskets of the windshield and rear hatch widow get black gunk all over the pad and it gets distributed all over the paint.

What are you guys doing to mitigate this / care for your window gaskets?

I've tried (and had some success) with scrubbing the heck out of the rubber first with Simplegreen to remove the oxidation, but want to find away to seal / preserve the rubber so that it does not need scrubbing every time I wash the car. The 27 year old singe stage white paint looks good when cleaned up, but mucked up with the black window gasket gunk.

303 Aerospace Protectant to protect rubber and plastic.

Maybe Gummi Pflege? I've seen it recommended and have used it on door seals, but I haven't tried it on window gaskets.

I don't have a solution for the black splatters you get from the window seals when polishing. I just ignore them and focus on cleaning off any polishing compound before it hardens.

Honestly, if you're concerned about the condition of the window gaskets, just pay a windshield place to replace them. They're still in production and around $75 front and $100 back. Might as well get them while they're in production.

^ that's what I do. I have two white '95s.

The rubber compound they used sucks. After a few years, there's nothing you can do but "paint" over it with some kind of "protector" like 303 & GummiFlege (I use both, the stick goes on the sunroof seal). The 303's great on the dash, too. Looks shiny and isn't sticky like Armor All.

303 Aerospace Protectant to protect rubber and plastic.

Honestly, if you're concerned about the condition of the window gaskets, just pay a windshield place to replace them. They're still in production and around $75 front and $100 back. Might as well get them while they're in production.
The windshield gasket is only a few years old - still sheds black crap and polisher bonnet. Will try the 303 stuff, I think. I've had good luck with some of their other products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom