Bruce: the Great White 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not gonna lie, beadlocks are sexy...

20220909_171347.jpg

They also spendy, so I just got one for the spare to start. I need a full size spare and I ordered a tire, so got a wheel. I plan to get the other 4 the first of next year, at least that's the budget timeline currently. I plan to get it mounted tomorrow and then see about a spot to store it.

We picked up the 80 this afternoon. R134 converted and charged. It blows cold, but Albert said it may have a leak. It'll get us thru for now.

Never got the cats redone, so I'll bolt the slider back in tomorrow and then a good bath.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, beadlocks are sexy...

View attachment 3110575

They also spendy, so I just got one for the spare to start. I need a full size spare and I ordered a tire, so got a wheel. I plan to get the other 4 the first of next year, at least that's the budget timeline currently. I plan to get it mounted tomorrow and then see about a spot to store it.

We picked up the 80 this afternoon. R134 converted and charged. It blows cold, but Albert said it may have a leak. It'll get us thru for now.

Never got the cats redone, so I'll bolt the slider back in tomorrow and then a good bath.

nice looking wheels, are those true bead locks ? how many banana job to mount tires ?

nice looking wheels, are those true bead locks ? how many banana job to mount tires ?
True bead lock. I needed a spare wheel for my 5th tire. Plan is to order the other 4 to complete the set around the end of the year.
20220910_171619.jpg

Soap up the bead and the face of the wheel and just a little persuasion. The fun part the 32 bolts that must be tightened down in a pattern in multiple stages.... overall it's a one banana job, but block out some time. A set of 4 will probably take an hour or 2. Probably get faster as you get the pattern down.

After I mounted the tire, I got to looking into the fan. It was still contacting a little, so I went thru the tedious task of pulling all the things out so I could pull the fan. Turns out 2 of the blades are a little cattywhampus and were contacting. I trimmed all the blades a little and sanded them back smooth. Put everything back together, so hopefully between this and the new, not broken, motor mount, I have the fan issue whipped. If not, I'll tear it apart again and see what I need to do to sort it.

If it keeps on, I will have to look I to my alternatives.

So Cove run this weekend. Cove is always a solid shake down. It really is amazing what 37s do for the performance of an 80 on the trails. Between the additional track from the spacers and the height, man, there wasn't much that we did that we didn't just ease over and thru. Very happy with the Yokohama's. They did splendidly.

But as with every trip, particularly in the cove, we got home a little worse for wear. I've jammed on the brakes pretty regular before trips because I've been waiting for another section of line to take a dump. We about half way thru the trip in on Saturday the pedal started getting soft. Not gone, but soft. While there was some winching going on, I got under the truck and discovered the culprit. The rear line had started letting go just above the frame mount for the LCAs.

20220918_164028.jpg

The trucks past caught up to it. The main frame lines look good except in a few spots. This is one of those spots.

So after vice grips, channel locks, lineman pliers, all trying to pinch it off without having to cut them off, @BMThiker handed me his 3lb sledge and I proceeded to use the frame section as an anvil and just smashed the 2 lines into oblivion. They are flat and I was able to run the rest of the weekend and make it back home on the fronts only.

20220918_164206.jpg

20220918_164155.jpg

So, home, unloaded, pressure washed and in the shop for a once over and to start planning the replumb of the hard lines. After all this, I'm just going to go ahead and plan to replumb the whole circuit. Got to do some research on eliminating the lspv.

So number 1 on the list is getting the brakes sorted out. Then I have a few other things rattling around that I'll have to prioritize and budget for.

Overall, Ole Bruce held his own and I think I'm really close to getting him dialed in just right. But the real mvp of the weekend was the AC. It wasn't hot, but being able to just hit that button and knock the edge off was amazing.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Got tools and hard lines ordered today. 4lifetimelines.com is the place. So that is top priority to get him back on the road. The bruise just above my tailbone tells me I need new foams, or new seats. I leaning toward the latter, but I'll have to do some research to figure out what'll fit.

Once the woah is back, then we'll see what the next move is.

Last edited:
So I took stock on a few facets this weekend. Got a plan for the warpig, got some parts to order foe the 40 and decided to crawl around and take a look under the 80...

Basically need to replumb everything. Non-abs master to match the 97 front and rear brakes. Should have done that a long time ago. New lines and, on good advice, replacing the lspv with a oem unit.

So now the fun starts... how do it get this monstrosity off without breaking every single bolt off...
20221016_200854.jpg

Here is a better shot of where they failed.
20221016_200820.jpg

And then getting lines out of this "Y"
20221016_201158.jpg

From the looks of the routing, likely will have to drop the tank to get access to everything, so that's awesome.

So now I may as well plan on a new pump and sending unit while it's out, and lord only knows what I'll find above the tank.

Also, all the rubber hoses and clamps on the rear heat need to be replaced.

20221016_201003.jpg

20221016_201016.jpg

Heck one of them doesn't even have a clamp anymore. I didn't know rust could form a bond with rubber...

But I did look at the rear spare tire area. With the spare out and the exhaust re-routed, I have tons of room for activities. Always wanted to put an air tank and compressor under there, so guess I'll ponder that over the winter too.
20221016_200938.jpg

And lastly try to get the t-case swap done so I will be able to actually use those fancy hubs on the front.

The rebuild list seems to be growing, all I wanted was to fix the brakes...

LSPV bracket. 47931-60070
LSPV 47910-60070
Boot and Bush kit 04477-60010
Bolt plate 47937-60010

I didnt want to, but had to pull the tank to be able to get to the lspv bracket and get to the hard lines behind the tank.
20230819_164033.jpg

Fawk a bunch of that. Pulling the driveshaft would have made me hate life less, but one of the diff bolts would not come out and I couldn't break any of the t-case flange bolts loose, so I jsut had to wrestle it out. Thankfully the trans jack was there to help, but I was swearing alot before it finally hit the concrete.

Now I can get to the lspv bracket and also see all the brake lines that need to come out.
20230819_165826.jpg

Bright side is the bottom of the cab is is really good shape. Wasn't sure how it was going to look. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the brake lines out and new ones made and get all the lspv bits out. And maybe drain the tank and inspect it while I've got it out.

Fuel pump gasket 77169-60010
Tank to fill hose 1 77213-60090
Tank to fill hose 2 95311-13022
Clamps 1 90460-55003
Clamps 2 90467-20134
Sending unit 83320-69055
Banjo bolt 90430-12026
Banjo gasket 90430-T0003

Last edited:
Bruce and I are having a bit of a disagreement regarding the removal of the rear driveshaft. I think it should come out, he does not... I will win

20230923_143924.jpg

20230923_143952.jpg

Had to stop mid grind, but I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Just one bolt holding on. There's always one hold out, and you usually have to kill him to convince him otherwise...

Well, after I finished cutting the nut off, I was able to persuade the rest out of the flange. Then a combination of heat, impact, BFH, pry bar and whatever else I had within arms reach, I got the 4 nuts off the t-case flange. And it's out.
20230924_171743.jpg

I've got some u-joints hiding out somewhere I'm gonna throw in there. And since I've got this much out, I think I'll pull the spooled and geared t-case out of the barn and see if I can't wedge that up in there too.

Well, after I finished cutting the nut off, I was able to persuade the rest out of the flange. Then a combination of heat, impact, BFH, pry bar and whatever else I had within arms reach, I got the 4 nuts off the t-case flange. And it's out.
View attachment 3439517

I've got some u-joints hiding out somewhere I'm gonna throw in there. And since I've got this much out, I think I'll pull the spooled and geared t-case out of the barn and see if I can't wedge that up in there too.
What's up with the math book and broken wheel spacer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom