Bruce: the Great White 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, the great white has made appearances in a number of threads over the years, but has never really had a place to call his own, which is kind of odd given my many vehicle threads.

Anyway, we are getting settled into things at the farm and as one of our resolutions, we are planning to get out and wheel more this year. And one major part of that is getting together something that we can actual wheel. Soo, Bruce is getting some needed TLC and I am planning to tie up some of his loose ends and get him ready for some trail time in 2018. Current target is to be up and going for MardiKrawl and if we survive that, GSMTR is a few weeks behind.

I will probably try to pull some of the other misc. pics into this thread, or link some of my other threads for references, but here are a couple.

This is what he looked like when we brought him home in April of 2010.

Cruiser 3.jpg

And this is one from fall 2017

Bruce 1.jpg

Bruce is a 1991 FJ80, 3FE truck with grey cloth interior. When we got him in 2010 he was running a OME heavy/med lift, 35" Procomp muds on black steel wheels, ARB bumper, no winch and a Garvin full length rack.

The wheels were one of the first things to go, sold them and picked up a set of Tundra 17s and put on a set of Cooper STTs. Summer/ Fall of 2010 I did a FF swap and bolted on FZJ front rotors and Calipers and we hit Golden Mountain for the inaugural ACC fall ride. That was where I got my first taste, followed @4xsteve up 21 (I think) got stuck in a rut and got backed down by by Michael from ACC and that was it, I was in. The dent that can be seen under the passenger door was from the run up the same trail the following year to see the Cherokee that had literally removed it's front axle at the top of the hill. That was the year I installed the Spartan in the rear just hours before pulling out of the driveway to head for Sparta... Thinking 2011

Sliders from White Knuckle followed soon after. At the time it was because he was the only one selling 1991 - 1992 sliders, but today, I would put his stuff on anything I buy. Good guy, actually have a set for the GX on order from him currently, Erin's Christmas present.

I get kinda fuzzy on timing after the sliders, but since we bought the farm, I have replaced the ARB with a Cruisin' Offroad 8274 front bumper, have added an IPOR rear that I got from @pandathrust when he did his Labs swap, and then this summer I finally got the SLEE setup that I got from @beno bolted on. #theraisinliveson

And that brings us close to where I am today. I have also finally removed the Garvin Rack (For sale if anyone wants to make me an offer). I also installed a Chassis Unlimited Battery box to keep the yellow top secure and there have been a number of other things like 90A alternator upgrade, full aluminum radiator, etc. that have gone in over the years.

So as he currently sits he is spec'd as follows:

1991 FJ80
3FE/ A440F/ HF2A
FF Rear from a 1997
FZJ80 front brakes
5.29 gears
Spartan Locker in rear
IPOR Rear bumper
Cruisin Front
WKO sliders
SLEE full suspension with SLEE arms for castor
35x12.50R17 Cooper STTs
Tundra 17" Alloys

And here are a couple of random pics.

GSMTR '13
the rock.jpg

This ledge was what bought the new battery box. I dropped off and hit hard on the passenger side bumper wing and it moved the battery enough to pull the fusible link apart that fed the fuel system. Died not too much farther up. Winched off the trail and a nice man from Virginia gave me a jumper to get us back to camp and on home.

And couple of before and after shots of the rear axle swap I found.

Before
Old Axle.JPG

After

New Axle.JPG

Did I mention this truck came from Colorado, in case you noticed the rust collection that I have amassed.

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to start this was to have a place for my to-Do list, which is as follows:

• Install Slee front trac-bar
  • Install the raisin's part-time, Mark's Low geared T-case
  • Install Slee DC front D-shaft
  • Rebuild the front axle and install proper scalloped 80 series lock-outs (Raisin)
  • Swap front spring side-to-side
  • Clean and paint front axle
  • Install Ironman drop front sway bar mounts (yep, I still run the front bar)
  • Install Ironman extended brake lines
  • Oil change

It isn't a terrible list, so maybe I can get it knocked out in pretty short order.

I will probably throw other misc pictures that I find up here as well as any new progress that happens moving forward.

Hope to see you guys in the dirt more in 2018. :cheers:

Last edited:
Glad to see your priorities are in order for the 80 to be back on the road Matthew! Holler if you need any help with the to-do list, happy to lend a hand.

@4xsteve trying to help me not smoosh the door. Lesson that day, "DO NOT STICK YOUR ARM OUT THE WINDOW" said very sternly to me by either Steve or Michael.

2011-11-129510.31.43.jpg

And the day Bruce got a little brother
20150516_080815.jpg

I forgot that between new tires and axle swap, we did cruise on some old 265s. It fit in the old garage with the rear end ratchet strapped down.

IMG_20110604_143936.jpg

Here is the completely rebuilt rear that went under it. Just prior to install

IMG_20110828_205220.jpg

And the FZJ brake upgrade on the fresh axle rebuild.
IMG_20111105_203543.jpg

And I had forgotten the original dash had a crack in it, so I drove to Tuscaloosa and picked this one up from a fellow mudder who's name has left me at the moment and did a dash swap. That would have been in 2012 I believe.

IMG_20120128_140820.jpg

2012-06-20_18-31-30_463.jpg

Man, lots of hours on random stuff on this thing over the last few years.

The reason I remeber when we got it, we drove to west TN and bought it thru the week and left it at my mom and dads. They brought it up the Sunday before Erin went into labor with Hannah on Tuesday morning. The 80 has been in the family for officially 2 days longer than Hannah. I ordered the FSM for it from the hospital room that week. :)

Well I got confirmation this afternoon that the SLEE coils are side specific and they do come with tags when new, but mine are used and so I have no way to know for sure if I have the proper spring on the correct side, but it does make me feel better about my drivers side lean. Guess when the brake lines are ready to go on, then I will mark them and make sure to swap them side to side and hope it levels out.

I am thinking when I am ready to do the front axle rebuild that I may just pull the diff out and take the entire front housing out to get it cleaned up and painted. A buddy gave me some epoxy primer and satin black paint that should take care of the paint duties for a while.

Last edited:
Got my new brake lines and front sway bar brackets from Metaltech.

0118182048.jpg

Weather is supposed to be pretty nice this weekend, so I am thinking I am going to try and get the drop brackets and front brake line on and swap the front coils from side to side. Need to get it road worthy and get it back tagged and legal. It would have been great to have it on the road this week with the weather we've had, so going to try to take advantage of the sunshine.

Got my new brake lines and front sway bar brackets from Metaltech.

View attachment 1614850

Weather is supposed to be pretty nice this weekend, so I am thinking I am going to try and get the drop brackets and front brake line on and swap the front coils from side to side. Need to get it road worthy and get it back tagged and legal. It would have been great to have it on the road this week with the weather we've had, so going to try to take advantage of the sunshine.
Nice start Matthew...those sway bar drop brackets only take 10-20 mintues to install, but haven't messed with the extended brake line kits yet.

On your to do list, I noticed you mentioned the part-time kit and Mark's low range T-case gears. Do you already have all of those parts on hand?

On your to do list, I noticed you mentioned the part-time kit and Mark's low range T-case gears. Do you already have all of those parts on hand?

Yeah, I got a complete transfer case from Beno when he was parting out the raisin (his old 80). He had already installed the spool and low range gear set, so for me it should be basically a bolt in swap.

Yeah, I got a complete transfer case from Beno when he was parting out the raisin (his old 80). He had already installed the spool and low range gear set, so for me it should be basically a bolt in swap.
That's awesome, should be an easy install. If you need any help this weekend give me a shout, happy to help out.

Well I am 0 for 2 on my 80 projects today. The extended front brake line appears to be exactly the same length as the one that is on it now and the Ironman sway bar extensions don't appear to be drilled to fit the bolt spread on the factory mounts. I can get one bolt started, but the the slots aren't cut close enough to each other to let the second bolt go in.... So that sucks a fat one. @ukaviator didn't you have some custom lines made? What was that place you used? I think I just need to see if they can make me a custom line to fit what I need.

And on the extensions, I'm just going to do what I should have to start with and get some rectangular tube and make my own.

Yep sure did. Check out Nashville Rubber and Gasket. I think it was $23 for the custom line. Just had to take in the old one so they could match it

Here you can see what it lacks. Looks like about a quarter to a third of the bolt hole is covered.

0120181528-1.jpg

I did get it in the garage, too bad I didnt get anything really accomplished. I may swap the coils tomorrow to get that out of the way, just to make sure it works. After spending some time under it today, I am going to need to get the whole housing out and clean it up to put it back under there. It is pretty crusty.

0120181244.jpg

I really do enjoy this old clunker.

0120181218_HDR-1.jpg

0120181630.jpg

Well I couldn't stand having the truck in the garage and getting nothing done, so I went out thinking I would just get it up on some stands so I could swap the coils tomorrow, well, then I thought I'd go ahead and pull the tires and well before I knew it I had the lower shock mounts off and it was just a matter of doing the swap.

0120181859.jpg

So got coils swapped and got it back on all 4s. And even though I measured before I started, I didn't write it down so... But by comparing it to some old measurements from right after I got the front done last time, I believe I gained about a half inch on the DS and brought the PS down about the same. I am still 3/4" low on the DS.

(Measured from bottom of rim to fender)
33.75" DS; 34.375" PS

Prior measurements were (from same point)
33.25" DS; 34.75" PS

So I think I got the coils on the correct sides. The rear is right at 34.75" on both sides, unloaded, so I think I got them right, so now I just gotta get the sway bar and brake lines sorted and ride around a little to see if things settle in a little more.

0120181958a.jpg

Done for the night. Time for step 6

Last edited:
And a bath before going back under the shed.

0121181639_HDR-1.jpg

@jynx hows the 80 coming along? Any chance you’ll bring it to Mardi Krawl?

Well, the 80 making it to MK is less about the 80 and more about the tow rig. Made some progress on that front this weekend, so we will see. Not sure though since I am less than 30 days out at this point.

On a side note, the GX may be making its appearance with the very 1st Terrain Tamer suspension setup in the states...

Trying to figure out what my next project needs to be and thinking this thing needs to be back up to snuff. Just a few misc things to get it ready for summer cruising.

Found a few random pics

Naked front while waiting for the Cruisin' front to arrive.
0618161803_HDR-1.jpg

And a couple from when I was doing the front suspension swap.

1009161802b_HDR-1.jpg

1009161802_HDR-1.jpg

A front end rebuild would be a pretty easy Saturday project, so I think that might be where I aim.

Got a bath today.
0729181557.jpg

Gonna be batchin' it next weekend, so I think I may do a knuckle job and swap on my hubs while I'm at it.

And just cause I got bored....

30423.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom