2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe they are going to drop the 4Runner nameplate and roll with Prado here like everywhere else in the world?

Perhaps this was already discussed and I missed it, but it looks like the off-road edition has captain's chairs in the 2nd row. Hopefully they offer the OR with bench seating for those of us with 3 kids...

The TRD Pro, Platinum, and Capstone trims are only available with 2nd row captains chairs. SR5 and Limited trims get the 2nd row bench with or without the TRD Off Road package.

The TRD Pro, Platinum, and Capstone trims are only available with 2nd row captains chairs. SR5 and Limited trims get the 2nd row bench with or without the TRD Off Road package.

Aah, I missed that. I built up a Limited and got to $70k to add the OR package, towing, etc. I can't see a way to add the TRD OR package to the SR5 - it just gets the sport mode. Will be interesting to see the street price when it's released.

Maybe they are going to drop the 4Runner nameplate and roll with Prado here like everywhere else in the world?

My assumption based on historic pattern is that Toyota will continue the 5th gen 4runner forever with annual special appearance packages each year while eventually gaining weight and offering only a 150hp 4cyl and 3 speed automatic. Sales will continue to climb.

You could also be right… hell the crown is coming here as a Toyota… who knows what’ll happen
I think you've got a great point here. The crown (that's now a highlander with a different front clip in other markets now) is coming as some sort of SUV sportback that somehow fits in a market where the Highlander and venza and rx350 all already exist. So maybe trying to find reason in the madness is a lost cause. If that fits, sure a Prado and 4runner and Fortuner and FJ cruiser and Land Cruiser and GX can all share some niche of basically one segment.

There is so much cache built up around 4Runner it would be a major mistake to dump it for an unknown brand in the US [except for nerds like us knowing what Prado is]

There is so much cache built up around 4Runner it would be a major mistake to dump it for an unknown brand in the US [except for nerds like us knowing what Prado is]

Well anyone who has ever been anywhere outside of the US will know what the Prado is. But I agree, they likely won't drop the nameplate here as it is a household name after 40 years.

Bronco order banks have been pushed back until years end if not later so that's out for us as I am not waiting until next fall or later when it would finally be built in order to add one. Crickets on the Sequoia lately, I hope we hear or see something soon. We are picking up a new 2022 GX460 to hold us over for another year. By then we will hopefully see the new GX550 and the Sequoias should be on the streets with good feedback from owners.

Last edited:
Bronco order banks have been pushed back until years end if not later so that's out for us as I am not waiting until next fall or later when it would finally be built in order to add one. Crickets on the Sequoia lately, I hope we hear or see something soon. We are picking up a new 2022 GX460 to hold us over for another year. By then we will hopefully see the new GX550 and the Sequoias should be on the streets with good feedback from owners.

The GX460 is still the best value in the BOF SUV and off-road/overlanding world IMO. Yes their prices have gone up a bit since covid (what hasn't?) but I don't think their prices on the used market have risen as high as the 4R, Tacoma, Tundra or LC. You can still get a decently priced lightly used or off-lease GX460 for not that much in today's world. I think the 2022 GX460 is a great vehicle now that they redid the interior a bit and updated the infotainment. I'm keeping my eye out for one but will be waiting for the GX550 (or whatever it will be called). If the new GX is not like what the rumors say, i.e. boxy, Defender-like, triple locked off-road variant then I'd be inclined to pick up a lightly used 2022 GX460 at that point.

The GX460 is still the best value in the BOF SUV and off-road/overlanding world IMO. Yes their prices have gone up a bit since covid (what hasn't?) but I don't think their prices on the used market have risen as high as the 4R, Tacoma, Tundra or LC. You can still get a decently priced lightly used or off-lease GX460 for not that much in today's world. I think the 2022 GX460 is a great vehicle now that they redid the interior a bit and updated the infotainment. I'm keeping my eye out for one but will be waiting for the GX550 (or whatever it will be called). If the new GX is not like what the rumors say, i.e. boxy, Defender-like, triple locked off-road variant then I'd be inclined to pick up a lightly used 2022 GX460 at that point.
Aren’t we still looking at 2024 before a new gx/4runner is released?

I agree, it's a lot of vehicle for $60K new. The updates they made to the platform in 2021 made it a lot better and more appealing. Auto hi-beams, auto wipers, adaptive cruise, better LED headlights, new infotainment screen, color gauge cluster screen, Apple Car Play, LX570 steering wheel, etc. are all now standard.

We have no plans to build this one, but I am considering keeping it around for the long haul alongside of the 200. Having the last of the V8's is a nice thing IMHO. Should I get bored with it in the future I just might do a mild build with it with a low-profile front bumper this time around. I loved how the build turned out on our last one, but I don't think I'd get as carried away with it this time around.

UZjniLv.jpg

I agree, it's a lot of vehicle for $60K new. The updates they made to the platform in 2021 made it a lot better and more appealing. Auto hi-beams, auto wipers, adaptive cruise, better LED headlights, new infotainment screen, color gauge cluster screen, Apple Car Play, LX570 steering wheel, etc. are all now standard.

We have no plans to build this one, but I am considering keeping it around for the long haul alongside of the 200. Having the last of the V8's is a nice thing IMHO. Should I get bored with it in the future I just might do a mild build with it with a low-profile front bumper this time around. I loved how the build turned out on our last one, but I don't think I'd get as carried away with it this time around.

UZjniLv.jpg
My wife had a gx460 and we traded it for a 200 series. Loved them both but in hindsight the gx is the best value. I think it is more comfortable than the 200. I like the drive ability of the 4.6 better than the 5.7. It tows really well. Good on mileage. It's just not as capable offroad in stock form due to the massive front bumper.

UZjniLv.jpg

We've heard that one before!!! I think the latest refinements bring it up to current market and still give you a very rugged and refined off-road vehicle at its heart. Good thing is that we know there are a plethora of parts out on the market for it already. ARB is announcing some new GX460 stuff which is nice to see support in what is the last few years of the J150.

Aren’t we still looking at 2024 before a new gx/4runner is released?

That's what I've heard, 2024. If it blows my socks off and is "reasonably" priced then I'll consider it. If it's just so-so then I think I'll get a used 2022 at that point which I hope they start coming off lease and sold as a CPO. Preferably a soccer mom GX460 from Dallas LOL

My wife had a gx460 and we traded it for a 200 series. Loved them both but in hindsight the gx is the best value. I think it is more comfortable than the 200. I like the drive ability of the 4.6 better than the 5.7. It tows really well. Good on mileage. It's just not as capable offroad in stock form due to the massive front bumper.

Around town I prefer the GX as well, it just makes for an easier vehicle to park and maneuver in city traffic on surface streets. We won't be selling the 200, likely ever. The GX will sit alongside of the 200 and might become a third vehicle once we pick up the new GX550 in 1.5 years.

We've heard that one before!!! I think the latest refinements bring it up to current market and still give you a very rugged and refined off-road vehicle at its heart. Good thing is that we know there are a plethora of parts out on the market for it already. ARB is announcing some new GX460 stuff which is nice to see support in what is the last few years of the J150.

Agreed, it is a much better version of itself than it was in 2019 when we had our last one. Beyond adding some AT's to the stock wheels, it won't be getting any mods until it's retired to a third vehicle and that's only if we should decide to keep it at that point. Having the more modern refinements and the last of the V8's does make the prospect of keeping it around a lot more tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom