Rain Gutter and Top Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine are 75, 75, 75, 69, 72, etc. The one I recently installed glass on was a 78. Interesting to know on the differences in thickness. Having an open end instead of a closed loop of rubber would make it more challenging. Can you use CA glue for the ends to make it one piece? Also, make sure you're not mixing up the LH and RH pieces of glass, they go in but don't sit right, ask me how I know.

Fortunately, the driver's side glass has a big scratch on it. I labeled it and took a photo just to make sure I didnt mix them up.

Good call on the glue! What brand should I use?

Maybe I can get the lock strip in place, and then use the rope technique? W

Fortunately, the driver's side glass has a big scratch on it. I labeled it and took a photo just to make sure I didnt mix them up.

Good call on the glue! What brand should I use?

Maybe I can get the lock strip in place, and then use the rope technique? W
I used the rope technique. I sat the bottom of the glass in place on the truck and applied a lot of downforce while my helper pulled the bottom in with the rope. Once the bottom was in I shifted force towards one side and pulled it in, then the other side, and lastly the top. We didn't use lube because the lube helps the window pop back out as easy as it helps you pop it in. There was a small amount of seal manipulation and pushing on the glass to get it set in right, even after we pulled all the rope. I ended up using the back end of an ear piece of some ray ban wayfarers as a seal tool to help pull the lip of the seal up into position. For glue I would look at the bob smith indusctries rubberized CA. IC-2000 | Rubber-toughened CA - https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html

I used the rope technique. I sat the bottom of the glass in place on the truck and applied a lot of downforce while my helper pulled the bottom in with the rope. Once the bottom was in I shifted force towards one side and pulled it in, then the other side, and lastly the top. We didn't use lube because the lube helps the window pop back out as easy as it helps you pop it in. There was a small amount of seal manipulation and pushing on the glass to get it set in right, even after we pulled all the rope. I ended up using the back end of an ear piece of some ray ban wayfarers as a seal tool to help pull the lip of the seal up into position. For glue I would look at the bob smith indusctries rubberized CA. IC-2000 | Rubber-toughened CA - https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html
Perfect . Thank you! I am going to give this a try.

Made some good progress tonight. Got the sidewalls of the hardtop on. Before I installed it, I used all @Racer65 weatherstripping. '67 did not have any sort of rubber where the top meets the bed. However, it does in later models so I decided to add it. I also decided to use weatherstripping glue to hold down the bottom strip.

The next project is fiberglass. Wish me luck.
IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

Last edited:
Made some good progress tonight. Got the sidewalls of the hardtop on. Before I installed it, I used all @Racer65 weatherstripping. '67 did not have any sort of rubber where the top meets the bed. However, it does in later models so I decided to add it. I also decided to use weatherstripping glue to hold down the bottom strip.

The next project is fiberglass. Wish me luck.
View attachment 3075587
View attachment 3075588
View attachment 3075589
View attachment 3075591
Nice progress. Been installing these kinds of windows for 30 years and was taught the joints go at the top. Water collects at the bottom and will seep through the joint, as it has more time to do so than at the top. Classic Restorer's Handbook also says top. I know many people put it on the bottom and don't have any problems. Just a rule of thumb, probably, and won't matter that much. I wouldn't change what you did, but just throwing it out there. FYI, mine was at the bottom of my 40 windshield when I got it, with a shrunken gasket and an 1/8" gap.

Looks great! I think it's a good call to add the weatherstrip, even if it's not "period correct". It's what Toyota did after thinking about it; that says something.

Nice progress. Been installing these kinds of windows for 30 years and was taught the joints go at the top. Water collects at the bottom and will seep through the joint, as it has more time to do so than at the top. Classic Restorer's Handbook also says top. I know many people put it on the bottom and don't have any problems. Just a rule of thumb, probably, and won't matter that much. I wouldn't change what you did, but just throwing it out there. FYI, mine was at the bottom of my 40 windshield when I got it, with a shrunken gasket and an 1/8" gap.
Question for you. Should I remove and redo the weatherstripping so the seam is at the top? Could I reuse the seal?

I also picked some of this glue up and can put it in the seam as the seam isn’t perfect.

9D120398-223E-4822-BAE9-3EEC3E4D0059.jpeg

9F219F97-8607-4F8A-992E-B309647BE94C.jpeg

Question for you. Should I remove and redo the weatherstripping so the seam is at the top? Could I reuse the seal?

I also picked some of this glue up and can put it in the seam as the seam isn’t perfect.

View attachment 3076675
View attachment 3076674
I wouldn't change anything. Apologies to give you concerns, it most likely doesn't matter. Just how the restoration guys taught it in the 80s. I read that glue works well. The other thing, when installing, is to cut the rubber a little long so there is pressure, pushing the ends together. That way, even with shrinkage over the years, it won't pull apart.

Anyway, it probably doesn't matter because the edge of the glass is sitting outside the flange of the window frame. Any water that gets past should run outside the vehicle.

Finished the rear hatch. I didn't go crazy on restoring it because it's a little warped and has a bunch of fiberglass patchwork the PO did. I am keeping an eye out for a nice one without rust. This will work for now, though.

I almost forgot I modified my struts years ago. I replaced the worthless springs for gas struts. They are inside the original housing. Pretty slick mod if you ask me.

More rubber is on the way and should finish the glass soon. Well, I should say I am going to pay a guy to finish it.

IMG_1808.JPG

Thanks. Now I have another project to add to my list! But, seriously, awesome job! That's the kind of stuff I do, but I didn't think of it.

If you haven’t done your headliner yet, choose your adhesive carefully. I used Permatex brand and it’s already failed in 4 months. ☹️
I like the strut mod. I’m tired of getting hit in the head!

If you haven’t done your headliner yet, choose your adhesive carefully. I used Permatex brand and it’s already failed in 4 months. ☹️
I like the strut mod. I’m tired of getting hit in the head!

I am not there yet but will be in a few weeks. I will definitely look for the right adhesive.

I am not there yet but will be in a few weeks. I will definitely look for the right adhesive.
I used Lokweld high temp contact adhesive for adhering vinyl to door cards. It is for automotive upholstery.

I've also used 3M Super 90 for my M3 headliner. Been hanging on for 3 years now.

There is also Weldwood Landau Top Adhesive professional contact cement but only comes in gallons, I think.

67 did not have any sort of rubber where the top meets the bed. However, it does in later models so I decided to add it. I

Find that interesting. My 9/64 FJ45 had weatherstripping between the cab and the top. Bought replacement from Toyota but original weatherstripping was still there. My 9/67 68 model had both pieces. Had it since 74.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom