Brake pads: Ceramic vs Metallic on lifted LC with Heavy 33s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pads have come a long way. I was looking at the brake setup a few Nurburgring rental cars are using and some of the pads are $800 an axle, for stock calipers/rotors. But they work like a BBK, last forever, don’t destroy rotors.. it’s inconceivable to me, but that’s also why they are so expensive.

Point is, brakes aren’t necessarily what they used to be with specific compromises if you push the envelope in one direction.

Yeah, but I can buy about 10 sets of akebanos for 800 bucks! :rofl:

Yeah, but I can buy about 10 sets of akebanos for 800 bucks! :rofl:
Can’t make akenonos work like a big brake kit on the ‘ring though. And my understanding is they’ll last like multiple sets of inferior pads under hard use.. the rental places wouldn’t pay that if the economics didn’t make sense.

MA45B on this page if you want to nerd out.

Can’t make akenonos work like a big brake kit on the ‘ring though. And my understanding is they’ll last like multiple sets of inferior pads under hard use.. the rental places wouldn’t pay that if the economics didn’t make sense.

MA45B on this page if you want to nerd out.

Oh no doubt, I just don't know if it economically makes sense in a 200 series.

I wouldn't go so far as to say great pads for track use are desirable for street use. Just that the LTS pads really expands the envelope of friction and high temp capacity/performance while keeping still great street qualities.

Here's how Hawk characterizes the LTS. For comparison, the HPS pads I used previously showed a ~.38 friction coefficient, which were already stronger than stock. These LTS are closer to ~.52. I thought that would be overstating it. But the difference in friction is that remarkable. Dust is indeed that much better too.
1658850664780.png

Oh no doubt, I just don't know if it economically makes sense in a 200 series.
Not at all, and that's not really what I meant. Just making the point that our old concepts of what pads can do, and maybe even how much they are worth in certain applications, are becoming outdated.

I wouldn't go so far as to say great pads for track use are desirable for street use. Just that the LTS pads really expands the envelope of friction and high temp capacity/performance while keeping still great street qualities.

Here's how Hawk characterizes the LTS. For comparison, the HPS pads I used previously showed a ~.38 friction coefficient, which were already stronger than stock. These LTS are closer to ~.52. I thought that would be overstating it. But the difference in friction is that remarkable. Dust is indeed that much better too.
View attachment 3069529
Im surprised they rank stopping power medium not high.

Im surprised they rank stopping power medium not high.

It's relative to their other race products. That have even higher rotor wearing levels of friction up through race level temps.

1658863689510.png

For a street pad, the stopping power provided by the LTS is up there. I would say 20-40% over stock (feels like it could possibly do 35s without BBKs). To the degree that I though it would be too much from specs. Because for street, too much bite and too little modulation can be a bad thing where it's harder to come to a smooth stop, or modulate braking in off-road. Fortunately, the LTSs modulate very nicely.

Im feeling bad I didn't find these 7 years ago. I have changed brakes way too many times on my LC. Many sets of TRD pads, many sets of akebanos, OEM pads, I hope this solves it.

Im feeling bad I didn't find these 7 years ago. I have changed brakes way too many times on my LC. Many sets of TRD pads, many sets of akebanos, OEM pads, I hope this solves it.

Any update brother?

As it's cooling down a bit. The LTS can squeak a bit in very light pressure use. It's not the old school annoying sports car level of squeaking, but they can squeak.

As it's cooling down a bit. The LTS can squeak a bit in very light pressure use. It's not the old school annoying sports car level of squeaking, but they can squeak.

Thanks Teck.
From reading the latest threads and yalls comments on this topic, the Hawk LTS may be too grabby for me. What do you think?
Im def going to go aftermarket on this one, I just cant decide how aggressive to go.

Stoptech Truck & SUV seems like a good choice but lots of things showing backorder...

Thanks Teck.
From reading the latest threads and yalls comments on this topic, the Hawk LTS may be too grabby for me. What do you think?
Im def going to go aftermarket on this one, I just cant decide how aggressive to go.

Stoptech Truck & SUV seems like a good choice but lots of things showing backorder...

Remind me how large your tires are and how much installed weight?

The LTS are pretty high friction pads. I probably wouldn't use them in a more mild (weight) build, or with 32" or less tires.

Remind me how large your tires are and how much installed weight?

The LTS are pretty high friction pads. I probably wouldn't use them in a more mild (weight) build, or with 32" or less tires.

"33"s for now. But I will increase lift and tire size as soon as they are worn in a year or two. Or maybe less if feel like burning money.
Im around 7K lbs now but I load up my family often with hundreds of pounds of s*** in the trunk (several international overfilled suitcases).
Don't tow anything outside of furniture. Roundtop season lol.

I dont have any issue breaking traction with stock brakes but i do feel mid pedal mushiness sometimes.
Probably when its 110 degrees outside in heavy traffic.

Posted pics of my good front passenger side in the other thread. The driver side inner pad is half the size of the outer.
And its been my problem side due to multiple botched things by multiple places.
I can see the finish line though.

I really wanted to go with Hawk LTS pads and thought I ordered them but I guess I neglected to submit my order b/c they never showed up! Day of install came and I was in a crunch and really didn't want to put OE pads back. The only thing I could get my hands on immediately were Akebono Performance Pads (ASP1303 & ASP1304A) so I went with those. My local NAPA had a 20% off coupon which helped sway me.

So far, I've been pleased with performance. Way better than my previous setup with OE rotors and pads. I stayed with OE rotors after reading much of the feedback from this thread. New pads/rotors coupled with a brake fluid exchange made a world of difference in pedal feel. Initial bite isn't crazy but certainly improved.

Anyway, may be a good option for anyone looking for a "mild" performance pad.

Any update brother?

My problem ended up being a bad caliper (ebay junk didnt last few months). The Hawk LTS did not show up in time so still running akebanos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom