Metallic sound after rotors/pads replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I need some help, so I recently replaces my rotors and pads on my 2009 Land Cruiser and I was pretty careful with the insulation but I hear metallic sound from nearly all corners. The fitment was tight but something is just not right. Any help on remedying this would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Elaborate on the sound……is it scraping, or clicking, etc.

And what do you mean by tight fitment? Were the pads tight in the calipers or were the pads tight to the rotors.

Did you use all OEM parts and replace the pad hardware too?

Or does it sound like you’re driving over a thin sheet of metal? I’ve heard that sound in particular can be caused by a pebble trapped in your brakes. You hear it when accelerating and braking?

Make sure you installed the spreader clips correctly. This got me once, and it took me a while to notice they had come loose and were scraping the outside edge of the rotor. The clips had become mangled in the caliper. They kind of look like a half straightened paper clip.

Front or rear brakes? Where is the noise coming from? One wheel, all 4?

Did you use OEM or aftermarket parts?

This…

IMG_1344.jpeg

Elaborate on the sound……is it scraping, or clicking, etc.

And what do you mean by tight fitment? Were the pads tight in the calipers or were the pads tight to the rotors.

Did you use all OEM parts and replace the pad hardware too?
It just sounds like metal to metal scraping. I’m hoping to lift it later and see if it’s the dust guard. Yea all oem parts were used.

Make sure you installed the spreader clips correctly. This got me once, and it took me a while to notice they had come loose and were scraping the outside edge of the rotor. The clips had become mangled in the caliper. They kind of look like a half straightened paper clip.
Ok I’ll have to check the clips as well hopefully they are sitting correctly….

If it's metal to metal scraping, it might be the backing plates in the rear. Rust pushes them out and they start making contact with the rotors. The easiest solution is to grind down the lip of the rotors. This is all hard to see without removing the rotors. The red arrow in the picture is the area where it usually scrapes. Right around the parking brake pads

Screenshot_20220629-122252_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-122819_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’m having a similar issue except dealership installed.
Monitoring.

I’m having a similar issue except dealership installed.
Monitoring.

Jack up the wheel making the noise and spin it to verify the wheel is making the noise.

99% chance the brake dust cover plate is touching the rotor. Just take your hand and pull the dust cover plate away from the rotor. Spin the wheel again to verify it corrected the issue. Common issue when doing brakes.

If it's metal to metal scraping, it might be the backing plates in the rear. Rust pushes them out and they start making contact with the rotors. The easiest solution is to grind down the lip of the rotors. This is all hard to see without removing the rotors. The red arrow in the picture is the area where it usually scrapes. Right around the parking brake pads

View attachment 3464510

View attachment 3464514
appreciate that, i'll have to bring her back up and check it out, thanks!

Jack up the wheel making the noise and spin it to verify the wheel is making the noise.

99% chance the brake dust cover plate is touching the rotor. Just take your hand and pull the dust cover plate away from the rotor. Spin the wheel again to verify it corrected the issue. Common issue when doing brakes.
great, thanks for the tip! i'll have to check right this right away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom