So, when did the 1995 FZJ80s become OBDII? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know elsewhere on this board it's been stated that the "later" 1995 FZJ80s were OBDII compliant but I always wondered how later was later.

Just for the heck of it, I hooked my April 1995 build date 80 up to an OBDII scanner here at work to see what I could get. Protocol is VPW, and was monitoring the following:

Fuel System 1
Calculated Load
ECT
STFT
LTFT
RPM
Vehicle Speed
Ignition Timing Advance
IAT
MAF (at idle was reading 0.7 lbs/min)
ATP
O2 Sensor Output Volts B1/S1
STFT B1/S1
O2 Sensor Output Volts B1/S2

Based on this, I'm thinking my April '95 80 is OBDII. Cool.

Thoughts?

My build date is 04/95 and i think IIRC it says OBDII. This is what threw me off when i went to get my truck inspected in NC. THey passed a new law that all OBDII vehicles have to get the diagnostics read to pass inspection. THey guy didn't hook mine up and i questioned him. his response was that according to his computer, this year cruiser was not OBDII. I said cool and went on my way.

That port just says "Diagnosis" on mine and it's not a standardized OBDII Data link connector. Appears to be Toyota-specific. The OBDII DLC is behind the fuse panel cover to the left of the steering wheel on mine.

My build date is 04/95 and i think IIRC it says OBDII. This is what threw me off when i went to get my truck inspected in NC. THey passed a new law that all OBDII vehicles have to get the diagnostics read to pass inspection. THey guy didn't hook mine up and i questioned him. his response was that according to his computer, this year cruiser was not OBDII. I said cool and went on my way.

I have the explanation for that one--OBDII was not mandatory on all vehicles until 1996 per the EPA. So, any state emissions inspection program has to kick 1995 and older vehicles out of the OBD test because there's no guarantee they are OBDII. So, in a way, owning a 1995 truck with OBDII is the best of both worlds!

IIRC it says on the cover of the port on the PS of the engine bay OBD 1 or 2.
What and where is the "cover of the port on the PS of the engine bay?" I think I understood some of those words...

Should be on the firewall on the PS of the engine bay. Black plastic box-looking thing that has a flip-top on it and says "Diagnosis" across the top. That's the Toyota-specific diagnostic connector.

HTH!

My April 95 FJZ is fully OBDII compliant. There is a sentence saying so (in tiny letters) on the label on the underside of the hood.

Comprendo. Fala Portugues?

Thanks for the help Lugboot and Cory! I will check it out.

My April 95 FJZ is fully OBDII compliant. There is a sentence saying so (in tiny letters) on the label on the underside of the hood.

Dang, you read your hood? Oh wait, I was just reading a label under there the other day, too. I'll have to look at the labels I skipped. :idea:

I have a 3/95 build date and I also have the OBD II compliant statement on the label under the hood.

Didn't look for a sticker, but my 12/94 works with my ElmScan 5 OBD-II reader just fine. It is VPW protocol, you can tell by the pin-out in the connector

Revise the FAQ for 1995 OBDII compatibility?

In the FAQ right now it states that 1996 and newer trucks are OBDII:

"Using the Vehicle Computer Codes to help Diagnose problems
If you have a 96 or newer vehicle you have an OBDII diagnostic port. You can eitehr buy a code reader or got to one of the many autoparts stores that will pull the code for you. The code will then tell you what the computer has logged as a fault. The nice thing about OBDII, is the code reader will work on ALL vehicles made 1996 and up.

If you have a 91-95 Land Cruiser, you can still pull the code with the paperclip method:"

Hey, Mods, based on the responses to this thread, could it make sense to revise the FAQ to include 1995 trucks as OBDII compatible? Should more info be gathered? What are the thoughts?

It's the production date through to the end of 12 of 94. So the early 95s made in 94 were OBD1.
20220624_190815.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom