265/70/18 tire size? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Madtiger

Mini-Doug
Threads
I would imagine this size would work fine. I actually run the P rated tire on my wife's GX460 and have considered running the same tire on the LC. I may opt for the LT size. slightly taller and more Tread. I run Falken Wildpeak At3 . P rated has 13/32nds and LT version is 17/32nds but is a E Load.

Skinnier tire more contact pressure, good for snowy roads, wider tire more surface contact good for wet/dry roads. I might run that tire size in the winter but not the rest of the year. More common is to run a 275/65/R18. But that is not (yet?) on the list.

Of note, the new LC300 also uses 265-width tire as stock.

@gaijin any info/commentary on this size? IF i were to go down this route, then what is tire pressure should i use for P-metric?

4E9ADE74-CC0A-45E5-A94B-6F9FAC92D76A.jpeg

Interesting that stock on the LC300 is 265/65 R18
My 100% uneducated guess is that the new LC300, Sequoia, and Tundra all weigh at least 500 lbs less than LC200. So, maybe, that is why they can get away with 265 tire???

That is my only concern…can LC200 6000 lbs weight be adequately performed on-road with 265-tire?

Does a 265 Michelin tire have more traction surface area than a 285 BFG KO2?

My 100% uneducated guess is that the new LC300, Sequoia, and Tundra all weigh at least 500 lbs less than LC200. So, maybe, that is why they can get away with 265 tire???

That is my only concern…can LC200 6000 lbs weight be adequately performed on-road with 265-tire?

The weight is similar, the 200 Series gross vehicle weight is 7,385 pounds where as the 300 Series is 7231.2 lbs

According to TireRack a 285/60/r18 BFG KO2 has a thread width of 9.7 vs 7.9 for the Michelin. That is a substantial difference. A Michelin Defender in the same size is 8.9".

Last edited:
I’ve run 265/60-18 (common size for Nokian) as my winter size for 9 winters now with no complaints. Prior to this coming summer I’ve run 275’s, only switched to 285’s due to limited availability.

I think we are seeing the trend to skinnier tires (if you can call a 265 skinny) to increase efficiency.

I think we are seeing the trend to skinnier tires (if you can call a 265 skinny) to increase efficiency.
Hmmm interesting…so better fuel economy?

Michelin LTX Trail is 3-4 lbs LIGHTER than even the stock Dunlops i think! It is a taller tire but skinnier. Hmmm, i wonder if this will improve our dismal MPGs?

Of note, the new LC300 also uses 265-width tire as stock.

@gaijin any info/commentary on this size? IF i were to go down this route, then what is tire pressure should i use for P-metric?

View attachment 2977893

It's not P-Metric, it's a Standard Load ISO-Metric.

The RCTIP for that 265/70R18 116T SL tire on a LC200 is 33psi F/R.

HTH

I could be wrong but seem to remember some trims of LC200 in some markets coming with 265s as well.

Edit: 265s were very common on 5.7/4.7/4.6 tundras as well.

I could be wrong but seem to remember some trims of LC200 in some markets coming with 265s as well.

Edit: 265s were very common on 5.7/4.7/4.6 tundras as well.
You think that it will rub KDSS bar?

0ED5CA63-2504-4A60-8754-CD3598DD1D56.jpeg

You think that it will rub KDSS bar?

View attachment 2978225
I don't think it would rub, as that's both smaller diameter and narrower than the 285/70R17 that tons of people run without KDSS issues. Some do get slight rub at the rear of the wheel well if the mud flap is in place and hasn't been modified.

But if you want to compare you could punch that size in to your visualizer.

Note that there are two aspects to the rub usually.. total diameter, and the shoulder of the sidewall just as it transitions to the tread area. As you can imagine diameter and width impact these areas differently. Most people running 285/70R17 have at minimum 10mm more wheel offset than (I'm assuming) your stock wheels, moving their tire shoulder away from the arm, but those 265/70R18 tires give up that much on width in that area anyway.

Usually people don't start having KDSS arm problems until 285/75R17 which is almost an inch taller

I don't think it would rub, as that's both smaller diameter and narrower than the 285/70R17 that tons of people run without KDSS issues. Some do get slight rub at the rear of the wheel well if the mud flap is in place and hasn't been modified.

But if you want to compare you could punch that size in to your visualizer.

Note that there are two aspects to the rub usually.. total diameter, and the shoulder of the sidewall just as it transitions to the tread area. As you can imagine diameter and width impact these areas differently. Most people running 285/70R17 have at minimum 10mm more wheel offset than (I'm assuming) your stock wheels, moving their tire shoulder away from the arm, but those 265/70R18 tires give up that much on width in that area anyway.

Usually people don't start having KDSS arm problems until 285/75R17 which is almost an inch taller
Much appreciated!

4A3A587A-5D54-454B-9D50-98CCABE2E2C0.jpeg

I'm running 275/70R18 Nokian Rotiiva+, they rub slightly at full turn the plastic wheel well, where it is hanging loose because I added a bull bar. I need to zip-tie that back. You should be fine.

Lots of half ton pickups come with skinnier tires than 265/70r18, and they’re rated to tow more than a 200LC. Theoretically cornering won’t be as good but LC’s corner like a school bus anyway. Lots of research on how skinnier tires are better off road in everything except loose sand or high snowpack. With full time 4WD I can’t imagine loosing traction on road with decent tires.
The biggest negative will be getting used to the looks of a skinny tire.

Another stupid Q from me…..is the OEM stock 18” rims ok fitting a thin tire like this?? Looking at TireRack’s specs, this tire is REALLY skinny!

Another stupid Q from me…..is the OEM stock 18” rims ok fitting a thin tire like this?? Looking at TireRack’s specs, this tire is REALLY skinny!
The spec sheet should say what rim widths it is designed to be used with. I can’t remember whether stock wheels are 7, 7.5, or 8”.. you’d need to do some digging. Or others might know better.

But yes you are giving up 20mm of tread from stock width.. almost an inch. I could see the difference between 285 and 275 on my truck, 265 will take that even further.

265 with a good load rating should be just fine. Keep in mind, many 1-ton trucks and vans run 255 or smaller. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this gave you a tiny boost in MPG :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom