265/70/18 on a 2020 LC? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Make that any loose surface including loose deep snow. Floatation on these surfaces is a halmark of a good all terrain off-roader and overlander.

That's a secondary point though. With as much time as we spend on roads, traction for safe handling is probably a good thing.
For loose deep deep snow up here people run more like 475+ width. Hakka 44’s are (relatively) common in the “bush”.

I run 265/65-18 in the winter. A lot of people up here (Alaska) run 265’s. Narrower is better in the snow.

For my rig I would go down to 255’s if Nokian made them in the Hakkapeleta.

In terms of width. Many 1/2 ton trucks come OEM with 255’s a lot more come OEM with 265’s. 3/4 and 1 ton’s come with 245/255/265. Most common I can find is 255 These trucks GVWR are a lot more then a 200 series.
Thank you so much for your response. Have you ever articulated your vehicle with 265/70/18 tires? Does it ever rub, under any circumstance?

I live in Colorado, and it can get quite dangerous here during the winter months.

My goal is to keep the vehicle as stock as possible but also fit the largest tire I can in an SL load rating without any rubbing. I am also a fan of a skinny tire which is why I was leaning towards 265/70/18 for year round duty, including light to moderate off roading.

Thank you so much for your response. Have you ever articulated your vehicle with 265/70/18 tires? Does it ever rub, under any circumstance?

I live in Colorado, and it can get quite dangerous here during the winter months.

My goal is to keep the vehicle as stock as possible but also fit the largest tire I can in an SL load rating without any rubbing. I am also a fan of a skinny tire which is I was leaning towards 265/70/18 for year round duty, including light to moderate off roading.
Why not get Defender in STOCK size and call it a day? 285/60/18 Defender are XL rated. 39 lbs / tire is amazing for its toughness. And maintain stock performance.

I thought about that size that you want, but in the end, i take my LC on long trips…so, want to keep stock performance.

My goal is to keep the vehicle as stock as possible but also fit the largest tire I can in an SL load rating without any rubbing. I am also a fan of a skinny tire which is why I was leaning towards 265/70/18 for year round duty, including light to moderate off roading.
I don’t have first hand experience with 265/70r18 but I feel certain it will not rub. Tire calculators put that at 32.6” diameter. Most 275/70r18’s don’t rub and they’re taller and wider. Most 285/65r18’s don’t rub and they are similar diameter and wider. I would be stunned if they rub.

Between the two I vote 275/70/18. The 265/70/18 I would call too skinny, and I would also not consider that a tall tire. Either should work just fine with stock suspension. They may require minimal modifications to fender liners or mud flaps but nothing to be really concerned about. I have 285/65/18 Nokian Outposts. IMO they run narrow as a tire. I've had tire envy parked in parking lots right next to 4runners or wranglers in particular where their 265 or 275 wire tires look just as wide or sometimes wider than mine (wildpeaks in particular).

I just went outside and measured mine...11" wide on the nose from peak sidewall bulge to peak sidewall bulge (mounted on an 18x8 TRD pro wheel at 35psi). For comparison, Falken states their AT4W 275/70/18 is 11.2" wide. I feel would not want to go any narrower than my current tires and would actually prefer to be wider. Both from a visual and performance standpoint. The Nokians have been great in snow though here in CO.

Pics of my truck for reference (I don't have any good angle pics with the new TRD Pro wheels):

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Last edited:
275/70R18 get my vote. 33.2" fit with minor rub on front splash guards, remedied with a heat gun and 2x4 to reshape them a bit. Some of my previous posts:
200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200-series-tire-and-wheel-size-database.818686/page-80#post-14302723

Cross country road trip to UT, AZ, and CO
Epic cross-country family road trip. IN --> UT, CO (Imogene Pass), and AZ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/epic-cross-country-family-road-trip-in-ut-co-imogene-pass-and-az.1325341/#post-15215918

31k miles on my General Grabber tires. New had 11mm tread depth. measures 8mm tread depth and wearing pretty evenly with 5000 mil rotations.

255/70R18 (32") winter tires about as tall and skinny as it gets in winter tires.
Dedicated Snow Tires - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dedicated-snow-tires.1277260/#post-14313159

Why not get Defender in STOCK size and call it a day? 285/60/18 Defender are XL rated. 39 lbs / tire is amazing for its toughness. And maintain stock performance.

I thought about that size that you want, but in the end, i take my LC on long trips…so, want to keep stock
I don’t have first hand experience with 265/70r18 but I feel certain it will not rub. Tire calculators put that at 32.6” diameter. Most 275/70r18’s don’t rub and they’re taller and wider. Most 285/65r18’s don’t rub and they are similar diameter and wider. I would be stunned if they rub.,
Thanks guys! I really appreciate everyone’s opinions and expertise.

I was thinking 275/70/18 as well, however I cannot find a tire in that size in an SL load rating. On my G-Class, I use 275/65/18 AT3W’s SL and I have gone to some amazing places all over the country and never experienced any issues, so I don’t want to move into a E rated tire.
**read your post, wow! 275/70/18 in SL with General. I wonder if the fitment would work on a 2020 LC 200, since it looks like you have pre 2016 LX. Interesting…

Does anyone share the previous posters opinion that 265 would be too narrow and would compromise safety on road and off road? If so, that would be a big no-no. I think I may settle for 275/65/18 if so, as it’s still a bit bigger and it has performed well for me in the past.

Last edited:
Between the two I vote 275/70/18. The 265/70/18 I would call too skinny, and I would also not consider that a tall tire. Either should work just fine with stock suspension. They may require minimal modifications to fender liners or mud flaps but nothing to be really concerned about. I have 285/65/18 Nokian Outposts. IMO they run narrow as a tire. I've had tire envy parked in parking lots right next to 4runners or wranglers in particular where their 265 or 275 wire tires look just as wide or sometimes wider than mine (wildpeaks in particular).

I just went outside and measured mine...11" wide on the nose from peak sidewall bulge to peak sidewall bulge (mounted on an 18x8 TRD pro wheel at 35psi). For comparison, Falken states their AT4W 275/70/18 is 11.2" wide. I feel would not want to go any narrower than my current tires and would actually prefer to be wider. Both from a visual and performance standpoint. The Nokians have been great in snow though here in CO.

Pics of my truck for reference (I don't have any good angle pics with the new TRD Pro wheels):

View attachment 3552890
View attachment 3552892
Other than the width, how do you like the Nokian Outpost? They seem like fantastic tires, and I like how lighter they are compared to the ridiculously heavy AT4W’s. I also appreciate the Kevlar side wall.

I was thinking 275/70/18 as well, however I cannot find a tire in that size in an SL load rating. On my G-Class, I use 275/65/18 AT3W’s SL and I have gone to some amazing places all over the country and never experienced any issues, so I don’t want to move into a E rated tire.
**read your post, wow! 275/70/18 in SL with General. I wonder if the fitment would work on a 2020 LC 200, since it looks like you have pre 2016 LX. Interesting…

Does anyone share the previous posters opinion that 265 would be too narrow and would compromise safety on road and off road? If so, that would be a big no-no. I think I may settle for 275/65/18 if so, as it’s still a bit bigger and it has performed well for me in the past.
275/65r18 is a very common size for the 200 series. I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275/65r18 (SL) and they have been great.

If you just want bigger than stock, 285/65r18 is another common size for the 200 , although it’s certainly not “tall & skinny”. Most 285/65r18 are LT-E rated, but there are a few SL rated tires in this size including Falken Wildpeak which I believe is OEM on the off-road package Sequoia.

275/65r18 is a very common size for the 200 series. I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275/65r18 (SL) and they have been great.

If you just want bigger than stock, 285/65r18 is another common size for the 200 , although it’s certainly not “tall & skinny”. Most 285/65r18 are LT-E rated, but there are a few SL rated tires in this size including Falken Wildpeak which I believe is OEM on the off-road package Sequoia.
FYI. With 285/65/18, there are some that do rub with stock LC suspension! YMMV

My winter tires are 265/65-18 so ~31.5” on tundra take offs and do not run. My summer tires are 285/70-17 on alpha equipt +35 offset, they rubbed slightly at full lock and I had to heat gun, drill, and zip tie the front mud flaps. If I could have found rims with a better (more + offset) I may not have had any rubbing and the 265 is skinnier. I’m saying it is very likely you will have none.

Other than the width, how do you like the Nokian Outpost? They seem like fantastic tires, and I like how lighter they are compared to the ridiculously heavy AT4W’s. I also appreciate the Kevlar side wall.
I like them! I've had them a little over 20,000 miles now. The only negative I'd give them is they do ride a bit stiff (they are an E load range though) and it took a couple attempts to get them to balance properly. Though I think the balancing issue was more on the original shop I was using...they've been just about perfect since I had discount re-balance them. But otherwise, great winter performance both on snowy roads and deep snow. Ice performance leaves some to be desired, but what AT doesn't? Good in sand when we go camping at lake mac and also on the typically rocky CO trail. I've only ever had them in mud at the local landfill when I was pulling a 6,000 lbs loaded dump trailer and while I was slipping, I didn't get stuck where a lot of other trucks were. Very quiet tire, great dry road grip, wearing evenly and not abnormally quick at all. Good gas mileage too, likely thanks to it's light weight. Tows just fine.

If I didn't desire a larger tire than they offer, I'd buy them again.

Here are my 265’s. To me they don’t look all that tall or skinny. Also First time I’ve driven the LX in 2-3 months, have to pick up a fridge after work.

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

It is stock size on the 300 Land Cruiser and the Sequoia, and up to one ton trucks as mentioned.

Both of which had fuel efficiency as a larger design consideration than the 200.

If you’re considering something like the AT3W in that size, be aware that Goodyear also has the new Duratrac RT in 275/65R18 XL (Kevlar, 3 ply sidewall, comfortable riding carcass and pretty light). Just FYI. Good luck with your deliberations!

If you’re considering something like the AT3W in that size, be aware that Goodyear also has the new Duratrac RT in 275/65R18 XL (Kevlar, 3 ply sidewall, comfortable riding carcass and pretty light). Just FYI. Good luck with your deliberations!
Wow, that’s a fantastic suggestion. Not familiar with RT, is that like AT+ tire? 3 ply sounds great and I checked the weight is just 1 pound more than the Nokians. Really makes you wonder what the hell Falken is doing with such heavy tires…

Really makes you wonder what the hell Falken is doing with such heavy tires…

They give you more tire. Truer to size and among the deepest tread up to 19/32nds.

Yeah, i don’t know…tires are too far inward for my taste. And that was why i shied away from this size. And it looks like you bought the JUMBO sized mudflaps with those tires. :D
It looks worse in the picture.

I run smaller tires in the winter on purpose. On my 33’s I can’t pull in my garage with XC skis on the roof. With the ~31” I can make it in with XC skis on the roof and make it in with the suspension to low with alpine skis.

My +35 rims in the summer trash my paint, and and windshield…. I would love to have a set of more inboard 17” RWs.

Wow, that’s a fantastic suggestion. Not familiar with RT, is that like AT+ tire? 3 ply sounds great and I checked the weight is just 1 pound more than the Nokians. Really makes you wonder what the hell Falken is doing with such heavy tires…
I think RT is code for the latest reason they would like us tripping over ourselves to ‘Replace Tires’. All kidding aside, it’s just an updated version of the Duratrac tire. I have them, and also too little experience with them to judge their relative value. I agree with Teck, Falken offers more…tire. That additional tire mass might be steel, rubber, polyester, or all three - I don’t know. My prior LT tires offered more mass too. Horses for courses I suppose, and plenty of folks love those horses for honest reasons I’m certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom