Is any one running a NWF Black box Planetary underdrive gear box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do I remember reading of very small oil capacity and overheating issues with this? Or was that some other gearbox?
You're remembering correctly. They've doubled the capacity (still not very much) and added additional ports to run an oil pump to aid cooling. It seems to be OK in low speed off road use, but doing longer road trips is where the overheating was an issue. Hopefully they're getting it ironed out now.

I called and talked to a gentleman at NWF today about a J80 Blackbox that would go between the stock transmission and stock transfer case. The good news is that they have the parts on hand to build one up, you can order it today and have it shipped in a few weeks. The less than good news is you would be a guinea pig from what I gathered. They have not done a complete install into a stock J80, so, there is no detailed write up on all that would be involved. They do not know of anyone who has done this particular install either. On their end (NWF) they have assembled on a bench with the stock transmission and transfer case, not in a rig. The overall length with the two required adapters is about 7". Pushing the transfer case back 7" would require, at a minimum, fuel tank modifications, a shorter driveline, extended shift linkage, extended wiring. Possibly there could be issues with speedo cable length. I am into my transfer case right now doing the 3.11:1 gear swap. I will take a look at things with a tape measure to get a handle on all this would involve. The fuel tank mod's seem like the biggest hurdle.

I called and talked to a gentleman at NWF today about a J80 Blackbox that would go between the stock transmission and stock transfer case. The good news is that they have the parts on hand to build one up, you can order it today and have it shipped in a few weeks. The less than good news is you would be a guinea pig from what I gathered. They have not done a complete install into a stock J80, so, there is no detailed write up on all that would be involved. They do not know of anyone who has done this particular install either. On their end (NWF) they have assembled on a bench with the stock transmission and transfer case, not in a rig. The overall length with the two required adapters is about 7". Pushing the transfer case back 7" would require, at a minimum, fuel tank modifications, a shorter driveline, extended shift linkage, extended wiring. Possibly there could be issues with speedo cable length. I am into my transfer case right now doing the 3.11:1 gear swap. I will take a look at things with a tape measure to get a handle on all this would involve. The fuel tank mod's seem like the biggest hurdle.
Old thread. But im guessing you never got the blackboxc

No, not yet, but still on the list.
I'm thinking about doing this... I'm not worried about driveshafts since I'm going 6" lift and I'll be doing it anyway and have my dc shafts from my mini ready to be cut down anyway.
Extended linkage is an easy fix with a welder. Extended wires is easy with solder and wire.

Not so sure about speedo length or gas tank mod. I'm not opposed to the BFH and massaging it to fit. I was hoping someone was the guinea pig first with the blackboxc. I really don't want it to be me, but it might look that way if it's cheap enough.

Thank you for posting this detailed info. Just want I needed to make it clear what the install would entail. If either you, @OutlawMike or @spyduh, install the black box, feedback and pics would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm thinking about doing this... I'm not worried about driveshafts since I'm going 6" lift and I'll be doing it anyway and have my dc shafts from my mini ready to be cut down anyway.
Extended linkage is an easy fix with a welder. Extended wires is easy with solder and wire.

Not so sure about speedo length or gas tank mod. I'm not opposed to the BFH and massaging it to fit. I was hoping someone was the guinea pig first with the blackboxc. I really don't want it to be me, but it might look that way if it's cheap enough.
The biggest hurdle is the gas tank mods. When I had my transfer case out, I lined it up on the trans jack 7" further back and looked at how much adjustment is needed to the tank. I do not think a hammer would get it done. It looks to me like the entire corner needs to be notched and welded to clear the T-case. I would like to keep the stock tank where it is, as I have an 18 gallon sub tank installed in the back and do not want to put a larger tank back there as the main tank, due to the desire for clearance off road. The other stuff is not a big deal to extend, just little details.

Thank you for posting this detailed info. Just want I needed to make it clear what the install would entail. If either you, @OutlawMike or @spyduh, install the black box, feedback and pics would be appreciated. Thanks
When I do this, there will be a full write up and pics. I wanted to do it this winter, but other projects got in the way.

Yeah, if I decide to go this route I will do a detailed writeup. I took a look a both of my 80s and my 80crawler has more space because I'm running a small Magnaflow muffler. My other 80 is running the factory one. The muffler is one area of concern if running a factory unit.

But the main concern is the gas tank. I can't picture how the factory tcase moved back 7 inches will even fit even if I took a BFH to it. Might need to look for alternative gas tanks. I have access to cheap toyota parts and can source a lot of different toy tanks. Need to ask my buddy which one is the closest to the 80 and then experiment which one fits the best.

Currently building a 4 door FJ 45 on 80 series chassis. Installed a 6 liter LS / 6L90e and HF2AV T-case. Ordering a NWF Black Box to use as an adaptor. Since no one seemed to have an adaptor for a 32 spline output shaft .
I was told by a member here who runs one that those Black Boxes will overheat big time and spew oil thru the seals. That same guy recommends that vents be installed and placed high up to prevent that.
I'll post pics of it when i'll have it installed.

Mine is installed and has fluid in it, but unfortunately it hasnt moved under its own power yet. I've got the itch bad to get it out on the road and trails, just gotta get it wrapped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom