Is any one running a NWF Black box Planetary underdrive gear box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was speaking to a buddy of mine recently who has a custom built rock crawler FJ40 (Sickest 40 I've seen) and we were discussing up grades as always and he mentioned why don't I get the Black box from North west Fab? It's the first time I've heard of it and went and checked out their site and it like like an great option for those of us wanting even lower gearing that have already done diff and T case gears. It is a little pricey after adding the fj80 application t case and tranny at around $2500 but it's the only option out there as far as I know?

So My question is: Is any one on here running this? If so can we get some feedback please?

If not, why the hell is no one running this lol? It looks like a great option for what everyone is wanting with even lower gearing after the T case reduction gears! I'm really interested in this for my 80 and will most likely being adding this to the arsenal of upgrades in the future but I figured I check here first since well this is where I do all my learning haha Mudd's been my Landcruiser university ever since I got my 80 and also the keeps that flame alive that continues to kindle in my pocket;)

Here's a couple link's about the Black box.

BlackBox GearBox - The Latest In Underdrive Technology

BlackBox-c Land Cruiser Edition

Thought's,feelings,feedback :cheers:

So with the black box and stock tc gears you could select 2.48:1, 2.72:1, or 6.76:1 crawl ratio? Those with 3.11 tc gears could get a max 8.46:1?

Expensive option for sure.

BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive

Here's all the info on it from around here.

Thanks for finding that! I probably should of searched a little harder. But it's still good to have it in this section, it looks like most of the interest it got in that thread was more from the FJ40 guys.

You used to be on T4R.org right? I think I remember your old rig, 3rd gen I believe? I spent a good amount of years and $$$ on that forum as well before moving over to Mudd and the LC world.

So with the black box and stock tc gears you could select 2.48:1, 2.72:1, or 6.76:1 crawl ratio? Those with 3.11 tc gears could get a max 8.46:1?

Expensive option for sure.

That appears to be the case.. Great option for whoever wants to make these heavy trucks:pig: climb up up and over stuff easier. Expensive option for sure but it seems to be the only other one out there at the moment.

On a side note is it me or just a coincidence that at the end of @NateMob 's quote it's the same name as your user name @Kaninja ?? Sorry don't mind my ADDo_O

Most the 80 convo was in here but fizzled out after a few years waiting and limited trans applications........ plus the gas tank delimma.

DoUbLEr!!!!

Sounds like it may have been worked out to fit the 440 and perhaps other 19 spline varieties and clear the tank after the pinch weld has been folded over. Maybe.

More ramblings.....
Doubler or nothing....TECH ONLY

@Jkny Yes sir, thats what started it all for me and Toyotas!
15253770673_53a0e7d77f_z.jpg

Last time I looked it was only for the FJ60 part time transfer case.

This would be perfect for someone doing any domestic engine swap. The marks adapter is what $1200, or $1700 to get a double and adapter. Makes me dream of spending lots of money again!

Most the 80 convo was in here but fizzled out after a few years waiting and limited trans applications........ plus the gas tank delimma.

DoUbLEr!!!!

Sounds like it may have been worked out to fit the 440 and perhaps other 19 spline varieties and clear the tank after the pinch weld has been folded over. Maybe.

More ramblings.....
Doubler or nothing....TECH ONLY

Thanks for adding that to the mix! Wowww yeah It definitely looks like it's a lot more involved than I expected :worms: including the amount of extra time and money to modify and change everything for it to work!!!

@Jkny Yes sir, thats what started it all for me and Toyotas! View attachment 1658466

Yeah man Awesome! Thats where it all started for me as well with my 4th gen, good to see you over here..

I have been in touch with Kris from NWF (great guy). The 80 series black box was not ready as of Jan.2018, but it looks like they have it listed for sale so I just emailed him asking to confirm. The right play with this upgrade is to throw an Atlas II behind it, but I believe you'll have to center the rear diff.

I was speaking to a buddy of mine recently who has a custom built rock crawler FJ40 (Sickest 40 I've seen) and we were discussing up grades as always and he mentioned why don't I get the Black box from North west Fab? It's the first time I've heard of it and went and checked out their site and it like like an great option for those of us wanting even lower gearing that have already done diff and T case gears. It is a little pricey after adding the fj80 application t case and tranny at around $2500 but it's the only option out there as far as I know?

So My question is: Is any one on here running this? If so can we get some feedback please?

If not, why the hell is no one running this lol? It looks like a great option for what everyone is wanting with even lower gearing after the T case reduction gears! I'm really interested in this for my 80 and will most likely being adding this to the arsenal of upgrades in the future but I figured I check here first since well this is where I do all my learning haha Mudd's been my Landcruiser university ever since I got my 80 and also the keeps that flame alive that continues to kindle in my pocket;)

Here's a couple link's about the Black box.

BlackBox GearBox - The Latest In Underdrive Technology

BlackBox-c Land Cruiser Edition

Thought's,feelings,feedback :cheers:

On a side note is it me or just a coincidence that at the end of @NateMob 's quote it's the same name as your user name @Kaninja ?? Sorry don't mind my ADDo_O

No coincidence. I think I came up with that parable last year in one of the threads here.

I am still of the same opinion on the 1FZ. My blue sky scenario would be a turbo 1FZFE, hooked up to an A750F, and now I would add an NWF Black Box to that as well......if it ever exists for the 80.

Having had 4:1 crawl ratio in my old XJ, I really would love a similar or better ratio in the 80. The option of high range, super speed crawl, speed crawl, and MEGA SLOW CRAWL with the Black Box would be nice.:steer:

I have been in touch with Kris from NWF (great guy). The 80 series black box was not ready as of Jan.2018, but it looks like they have it listed for sale so I just emailed him asking to confirm. The right play with this upgrade is to throw an Atlas II behind it, but I believe you'll have to center the rear diff.

I talked to him for a bit again today, they have it listed but it's about 2 more months out. They are definitely a little hesitant still just because of the required fuel tank mods, but are still going forward with it.

With the cost of the trans side adapter, I won't lie it has me contemplating a drivetrain swap. GM motor and trans, black box, 80 case.

I talked to him for a bit again today, they have it listed but it's about 2 more months out. They are definitely a little hesitant still just because of the required fuel tank mods, but are still going forward with it.

With the cost of the trans side adapter, I won't lie it has me contemplating a drivetrain swap. GM motor and trans, black box, 80 case.
That's what I wanted to do with my engine swap, but I got tired of waiting and eventually bought the Marks adapter.

I agree it would make a great alternative to Marks if it ever hits the market. I was looking at that for a swap, ending up turboing the 1FZ instead.

Someone mentioned seeing a 203 case as a doubler in an 80 series in Iceland, not sure how it was done, but it has been done. There may have been a kit through AA at one point that adapted it, but if you could get shafts to mate it up the adapter plates would be more simple than some of the other adapters out there.

Not simple or as easy as buying from NWF, but maybe a lot cheaper.

Supposedly the guys at High Country Cruisers have the first 80 prototype Black Box but I really haven't seen many details. You can read the comments here from a few months back:

Any updates on any of this?

Do I remember reading of very small oil capacity and overheating issues with this? Or was that some other gearbox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom