Brake Pads (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I ordered Stop Tech steel brake lines, DBA 4000 series rotors, and DBA 4000 series pads.

The brake lines and rotors came in but the pads have been delayed shipping 3 times. I am now looking at getting the pads end of July. Allegedly.

Does it make sense to wait or should I go with the TRD pro pads?

I find the stock pads plenty grippy plus quiet and clean. Maybe the stop techs are the same only grippier(?). Are you mostly street use? Slotted and or drilled rotors are typically not the best off road - especially in mud. If you are not upgrading the calipers to a big brake kit, I am not sure the difference would be worth it. Even Stop Tech's site outlines "Performance Over Stock" and it is like maybe half a bar above on their 5 bar scale. They don't really tell you what that entails exactly, but they are certainly not hawking a huge improvement. Sounds like you are pretty far down the road though, so I would say wait on the Stop Techs so that if there is an issue you won't give them the excuse of saying you used another brands pads.

I find the stock pads plenty grippy plus quiet and clean. Maybe the stop techs are the same only grippier(?). Are you mostly street use? Slotted and or drilled rotors are typically not the best off road - especially in mud. If you are not upgrading the calipers to a big brake kit, I am not sure the difference would be worth it. Even Stop Tech's site outlines "Performance Over Stock" and it is like maybe half a bar above on their 5 bar scale. They don't really tell you what that entails exactly, but they are certainly not hawking a huge improvement. Sounds like you are pretty far down the road though, so I would say wait on the Stop Techs so that if there is an issue you won't give them the excuse of saying you used another brands pads.
I just have the Stop Tech steal brake lines, not the Pads or rotors. My goal was to go with DBA 4000 series pads and rotors. I have the DBA 4000 rotors, just trying to figure out what pads to use.

As of last week (or maybe the week before) the TRD rear pads were on national backorder with no eta. If you search in here you will find my recent thread. I went with the Stoptech Sport pads, that some say are the same as the TRD pads. Nice surprise was that they came with replacement hardware.

Last edited:
The OEM rotors are the way to go with a LC. You want the solid break rotor for the weight of the vehicle stock. If your adding more weight at any point solid rotors are a must. The OEM's really are the best and much cheaper than the performance brands. Stay away from the slotted or cross drilled rotors. They will warp in a hurry. The DBA 4000 HD is very similar to the OE but cost a lot more. You will notice a difference with all steel breaklines. That is an upgrade. For the pads OEM work great and the TRD's a little better if you can find them.

There isn't much to upgrade on the breaks with these things. The OEM setup is still the best. My wife is the first person that will point out slotted or drilled rotors on a SUV or modified rig. They are not kind words.

Yeah oem is the way. Leave the slotted/dimpled rotors for Supra track days

DBA T3 rotor and XPS650 brake pad. It will put a smile on your face, reduce braking distance and brake fade. Factory brake pad and rotor no match for those.

Gonna have to disagree on OEM being the best. I have DBA slotted rotors and Hawk Super Duty pads, very happy. Much better braking.

Might get the SS lines done this summer.

I am planning brake pads/rotor replacement for my lx 570 2011 , what are some of the options for stainless steel brakelines?
I saw stoptech but they are braided SS, STOPTECH STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED FRONT + REAR BRAKE LINES FOR 08-11 LEXUS LX570 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113207824425
and solid metal line: 3/16 " OD Steel Brake Line Tubing Kit Silver 25 Ft Coils + 16Pcs Nut Fittings | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/363158220966

any preference to which of these is better ?
You can't replace hoses with solid rigid lines. They need to be flexible.

Thanks for clarifying, wasn't sure if folks in the forum go to the length of replacing the whole line and rebaring it with solid line :)

Yep. They make flexible stainless lines. They go from the hard line to the caliper. Stop Teck makes them. A few other brands out there as well. You can get them in custom lengths if needed.

Besides being less prone to rust than OEM the major upgrade is the stainless flex line of the hard line. The tube does not budge under pressure. It's like having a hard line to the caliper.

Thanks for clarifying, wasn't sure if folks in the forum go to the length of replacing the whole line and rebaring it with solid line :)
Oh OK, I thought you were asking about just the hoses that typically get replaced to stiffen braking. It would be a HUGE job to replace all the hard lines with stainless.

Here's what I have saved in my Amazon Wish List for lines, I guess this project will have to wait until next spring:

Fronts: Amazon product ASIN B0049YDMU8Rears: Amazon product ASIN B003K3NC0E
It's nice that the rear set replaces the lines at the calipers, plus the lines that go from the frame down to the axle.

I just had my front pads replaced and the front rotors resurfaced at Ed Martin Toyota by Eric's crew last Friday.

They now feel perfectly fine for a 6,000 pound non-high performance SUV vehicle. Smooooth................Stoppping..............

FYI, the fronts had about 65,000 miles on them...

The rears did not need to be replaced at this point... ( Nice to have honest people at a dealership tell you what really needs to be replaced and what does not.)

P.S. Ed Martin Toyota is NOT a LOCAL Dealership for me, but worth the effort to get the Cruzzzer there.

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom