Review: Power Stop Z36 K4117-36 Rotors and Pads after 68,580 miles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
This is a review of using Power Stop's Z36 Truck & Tow rotors and pads.

2008 Land Cruiser
I installed these in Nov 2019 with 231,000 miles.
Today, the mileage is 299,580. I took photos this morning when I was at Discount Tire. I'll replace in the next week or two with the same kit. They are available from Amazon.

Where I've driven with these rotors and pads:
  • CO 4x4 trails.
  • Both city and highway miles.
  • Snow, mud, dirt, and all types of rain.
  • The Cruiser has been unloaded to fully loaded and everything in between. Several times I've had bicycles on a rear-hitch carrier.
Other info:
  • I drive conservatively in the Cruiser. I only brake hard during emergencies.
  • I coast into stops and down hills. I use the gear selector a lot to help slow down.
  • In hot weather, I lightly pump the brakes.
  • Tires: Yokohama Geolander A/T G015.
  • Brake fluid: Prestone Dot 4.
  • I've towed about 200 miles in this time, heaviest tow about 3k lbs. They were good enough.
  • Not important, but I use my old rotors as wheel chocks.
If I towed a heavier item, I would probably get beefier rotors/pads.

The rotors/pads have worked very well. There have been a few emergency situations such as when a truck pulling a double-wide mobile home swerved into my passing lane on I-80 in Iowa with zero notice, dealing with the Nascar insanity on I-70 in the CO mountains, city traffic in Dallas, Chicago, Kansas City, and Denver, and maybe the most important times of all are when I had to quickly slow down within 30 yards of encountering an exit ramp of the highway because family said they needed a pit stop. They worked great on the 4x4 trails. I will give God the credit for looking out for our safety.

Brakes 1.jpg

Brakes 2.jpg

Thanks for the review!

My LX has had dealer-replaced pads and rotors every 30k, which I suspect is a dealer up-sell and not a wear issue.

Your 68k lifespan seams about right, considering where you have been.

Thanks for the review!

My LX has had dealer-replaced pads and rotors every 30k, which I suspect is a dealer up-sell and not a wear issue.

Your 68k lifespan seams about right, considering where you have been.

Though I'm not an expert, but that set from Power Stop have worked great. Currently the price is about $488 for all 4 rotors, pads, and auxiliary items. What did the dealer charge you with installation?

I took our Cruiser to a dealer for recall work. One service mgr walked around my vehicle for about 10 secs and came to me and said, "You need new tires." He walked away. My service mgr came to me to sign for the recall work. I told him what happened and said, "Is he just trying to get me to spend money? Discount Tire put on new tires two weeks ago."

No idea on dealer charges - the service was listed in the PO maintenance records. Sorry for the confusion.

I did install the Z36 pads & rotors on my F350 and have had such good luck that they will likely find their way onto my LX - but danged if I will pay someone else to do it.

No idea on dealer charges - the service was listed in the PO maintenance records. Sorry for the confusion.

I did install the Z36 pads & rotors on my F350 and have had such good luck that they will likely find their way onto my LX - but danged if I will pay someone else to do it.
So you're a believer too in the Z36! And, you also know how easy it is to install rotors and pads. And like you, it'll be a rare case if I pay a dealer to do it. I have a guy who charges about $100 hourly and he's fast. He replaced the starter in 2 hours and all spider joints in about 1 hour. I'm tempted to have him do the rotors/pads on the Cruiser because he can do it all and flushing the brake fluid much faster than me. But, garage time can also be therapeutic.

I had Z36's on my F150 and liked them. They had more initial bite than the stock pads/rotors and had zero issue locking up 315/70R17's.

I only had them on the truck for 30k miles but they seemed to be wearing well. Towed 5500 lb trailer probably 15k miles with them and they were solid.

62,000 was when I swapped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom