School me on mobile hotspots (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm interested in learning what to do when I want to have mobile phone, internet and TV when I'm at a place that has no cell coverage and no cable or fiber provider. Think of a house in the woods. I remember in years past hearing bad things about using something like Dish TV (or whatever it's called now) for wifi. Thanks in advance.

If you have no cell coverage, how is a mobile hotspot going to work?

Might check into Starlink and other satellite-based services. Speed may not be on par with what you're accustomed to, but sat is about the only option when there's no wires or mobile signal. Doubt you'd be able to make phone calls unless using a voip service; and to save some headache, check whether the receiver can distribute the signal amongst your devices (I ASSume they can, but be certain; e.g. the receiver acts as a hotspot).

I thought this was a thread about hiking related chafing.

@little_joe I’m showing my lack of knowledge here. I ASSumed that a hotspot device could reach out far enough to find a stronger signal than might otherwise be present. Words like “have your own network anywhere in the world” are slightly misleading when seen on sites who sell these things, I guess.

I’ll look into Starlink. @elkaholic mentioned that to me earlier, also.

I used to get good reception rubbing 2 coconuts in the jungle. But with no cell or internet, you may need satellite. Garmin does act as a sort of hotspot for iPad and iPhone, links them via Bluetooth. Then you can send text and email, get weather reports. But won’t stream Netflix

Cell towers transmit signal, and Hotspot devices can't create cell signal (to then use) that does not exist. They can help reception in marginal areas though, where your cell phone might not pick up the tower well enough.

Outside of any cell coverage though, starlink/sat coverage is your only bet.

Depending on how weak the service is, maybe a repeater/booster is what you'd need to get you that service. But that would only work if there is some signal for it to boost.

Depending on how weak the service is, maybe a repeater/booster is what you'd need to get you that service. But that would only work if there is some signal for it to boost.
So, let's talk about this now. Suppose there is a constant 1 bar of LTE available on the property. What do I look at now?

The previous owners of the property used Direct TV for television but haven't said what they did for internet or cell. They were old, and there are traditional telephone outlets in the house so maybe they didn't bother with cell phones there.

You can then find the nearest tower (there a few websites out there with locations) for your service. Then get a cell booster that comes with a directional antenna you point to the tower, and plug the system in the house. It amplifies the tower signal and sends it to a repeater that you place in the house or building. The repeater may cover the whole house and then some, depends on what you buy. We mounted one of those on the roof of my office building, worked great. Many manufacturing companies mount those too since the cell signal will not penetrate the building well.

Like one of these:
Amazon product ASIN B08G8N3CCJ

I have a friend that has a device called a cradlepoint. It uses 2 SIM cards, a satellite antenna, and a WiFi router. He can get internet just about anywhere. I’ve been asking him to let me try it out on one of my trips. All hardware is just shy of $1000, then you pay for service on the 1 or 2 SIM cards.different antennas available for better range. He sells them.

So, let's talk about this now. Suppose there is a constant 1 bar of LTE available on the property. What do I look at now?

The previous owners of the property used Direct TV for television but haven't said what they did for internet or cell. They were old, and there are traditional telephone outlets in the house so maybe they didn't bother with cell phones there.
That is enough to boost. Depending on which one you end up buying/how much you want to spend you can get full service or a few more bars out of it. They sell boosters for in home setups similar to the Weboost and things people buy for their cars when traveling. I believe Weboost actually does in-home also, but a trip back to Best Buy might be in order and chat with someone that knows the products better. Or even whoever your cell service provider is, they might offer something for you.

@forrest5000 is selling a weboost setup that would fill that need easily

If it hasn't been said - make sure you check what band/s is/are being used -some boosters only work with certain bands, and some bands aren't on boosters - ie band 71 on T-mobile, which is in some rural/remote areas....... :)

Good news. Sarah found Verizon coverage at our proposed lot to be 3-4 bars throughout the house and property. Downside is that the local provider only offers satellite for TV and internet (but there is a clear 360* view of the sky). Regardless, this won't be the mess I had imagined.

That said, the following should confirm that I won't need to provide a router, right? I've gotten 2 different answers on 2 different calls to ask that question. Damned customer service. :bang:
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 11.28.02 PM.png

Seems you don't need a router, as long as you're comfortable with having them install, set and forget. This is not unlike any ISP offering a complete home solution, which works just fine for most people.

Personal preference, but I prefer my ISP to be a dumb pipe, and I'll set the boundaries on what content, ports, protocols are allowed.

Seems you don't need a router, as long as you're comfortable with having them install, set and forget. This is not unlike any ISP offering a complete home solution, which works just fine for most people.

Personal preference, but I prefer my ISP to be a dumb pipe, and I'll set the boundaries on what content, ports, protocols are allowed.
I'm with @little_joe on this one - but you can always change it out after initial setup if you like........ Also keep checking on Verizon home internet in regards to your location - if it becomes available it will be way faster that satellite, unless you go starlink - have you put your location into starlink as of yet? You can do a pre-register if your location isn't available yet......hth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom