Which RCI Skid Plates work on a 2007 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to look up the oil valve to see what it was. It looks like the sell a hose kit to take the oil away from the valve. Might be able to make your own.

I have lots of hose and the valve. I'll keep that in mind. I have a while until the next oil change

I just loosen the drain plug with a socket and extension and let the oil drain down the extension until I pull it away. Or I just have someone else change the oil when it goes for the next upgrade (usual approach).

I have the RCI aluminum skid and splash shield too. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs. For oil changes I always drop the skid plate, takes a few extra minutes at the beginning and end, no big deal. Allows me full access and I can visually inspect everything easily when I am under there. The RCI aluminum plate is easy to handle, my steel armor on my Taco's, that requires the help of a jack.

Nice idea on thst funnel.

I run the aluminum skids. Had them one for about 2 months (only one trip in the woods due to covid).

Aluminum is definitely beefy and fairly light. I'm satisfied with them.

I'm installing my fumoto valve this weekend and I can see the issue of reaching your hand through the tiny hole to access the knob. I may see if a tool can be made to turn the lever from the side, above the plate.

so after three years and two oil changes these skid plates are still in great shape and beefy

Only issue is draining the oil. Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but oil collects on the top of the skid plat. A lot of oil. I wiped down and suffered drips for days before it stopped

The hole is 2.5" and I can barely get my hand in. The suggestion from RCI is to use a Fumoto valve, which I already use on my 200 series. Issue is the hole is so small if I open the valve that way oil would get all over my hand/arm and the skid plate.

Does anyone use the valve and can you easily reach it from the side of the skid plate. I would look but its daughterofromers rig. For some reason after building it for her I ended up committed to life time oil changes as long as she own the truck :)

My other thought is to cut the hole bigger with a die grinder or cut a 2.5" PVC pipe to be one inch longer than needed. But up against the pan on one end, tape the other end to the skid plate and then use the socket to get the drain plug out

or
use the die grinder to make the hole bigger

What have other done?

BTW, like the funnel idea for the filter, I was just laying out old ready to trash rags. The funnel is smarter

As you can tell from this thread, have this setup and I can easily open the valve by sticking my hand in from the passenger side. Never had a problem with the oil hitting the pan

As you can tell from this thread, have this setup and I can easily open the valve by sticking my hand in from the passenger side. Never had a problem with the oil hitting the pan

Thanks for the clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom