Which RCI Skid Plates work on a 2007 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
2010-Present 4Runner

Read somewhere 4th gen, then another post said 2010-2012 which is 5th gen

RCI is having a 15% off sale so seems like a good time to get them

Does it work with the existing holes or do you have to dill new ones?

Does it block the oil filter? I don't mind a little mess (same as the 100), my 200 series skid plate blocks access to the filter

And would you get the whole skid plate set of just tranny and tcase protection

I just had the 4-th gen set installed on my GX. Aluminum. Bought it 3 weeks ago so missed the 15% off. Bummer.
IMG_20170520_200743-01.jpeg

4th Gen. If you don't have kdss 4th Gen and get the full set. The gas tanks take a beating. If you have kdss just call them. They have options for the gx now.

Their web site answered the open questions
  • Built in oil drain holes allow easy access and ability to change oil without removal of plate
  • Direct bolt on addition to existing factory attachment points, no drilling required

And would you get the whole skid plate set of just tranny and tcase protection

The full skid set for the 03-09 4Runner is what I have. It doesn't come with the gas tank skid. I might consider getting that with the discount.

SKIDS15 is the code

I just ordered the gas tank skid as well

I have the full set for a 4Runner of the same years, bolted right up. Also look at doing a Futumo drain plug, and get a long funnel and cut it for the oil filter, makes for a clean oil & filter change

I have the Futumo drain plug but is there a simpler way to get to the filter without removing the underbody protection?

Yes, get a long funnel and cut it. You loosen the filter just a little, stick this under the filter and loosen the filter, let the oil drain into you pan or whatever you catch the oil with

IMG_0484.JPG

I might have to try that!

it should
Do you think it comes with any hardware? I noticed it looks like I am missing a bolt to the skid under the radiator and that's what got me to thinking about adding some armor.

it should not.

the Futumo valve, just replaces your drain plug. it has a lever than you move to open and drain, once installed, it stay installed.
the funnel is from Walmart and you have to cut it like I did mine, it makes it so the front skid, doesn't have to be removed.

As for missing bolts from the factory skid plate (guessing thats what you have), I am guessing that was a shop person who dropped the bolt and couldn't fine it, so they left it out or they didn't tighten it and it fell out. My RCI skids came with new hardware, and I used lock tight on them, since I hope it will be a while before then come off, the reason for the funnel.

so after three years and two oil changes these skid plates are still in great shape and beefy

Only issue is draining the oil. Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but oil collects on the top of the skid plat. A lot of oil. I wiped down and suffered drips for days before it stopped

The hole is 2.5" and I can barely get my hand in. The suggestion from RCI is to use a Fumoto valve, which I already use on my 200 series. Issue is the hole is so small if I open the valve that way oil would get all over my hand/arm and the skid plate.

Does anyone use the valve and can you easily reach it from the side of the skid plate. I would look but its daughterofromers rig. For some reason after building it for her I ended up committed to life time oil changes as long as she own the truck :)

My other thought is to cut the hole bigger with a die grinder or cut a 2.5" PVC pipe to be one inch longer than needed. But up against the pan on one end, tape the other end to the skid plate and then use the socket to get the drain plug out

or
use the die grinder to make the hole bigger

What have other done?

BTW, like the funnel idea for the filter, I was just laying out old ready to trash rags. The funnel is smarter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom