What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, because my FJ62 was sitting in a shed for a couple of years untill recently, the engine cooling system is a bit corroded in places😨
20200128_141612.jpg
20200128_141548.jpg

20200223_102737.jpg
20200223_102750.jpg

I'm thinking of cutting the steel heater pipes back to where the wall thickness is good and fitting new longer hoses to fit it back up.
We don't have the oil cooler over here so those spigots are just capped off, so I can happily delete that section right back to near the centre mounting tab. What do y'all reckon? Good idea...or should I delete the steel pipes completely?
Interested to hear what others have done, cheers.
Tim.

AC1CFDE9-6C9C-4169-9512-8F395EC245CB.jpeg

The splash guards in the front wheel wells were gone so it was time to make some new ones since I found some nice 1/4” thick rubber at work. Started by making a cardboard template.
E724DAC9-2DA7-4639-B96A-C618F7FAF694.jpeg

Got it to fit nicely
7EC98802-A14D-4002-A101-534BBC89B877.jpeg

Darth Vader splash guard :rofl:
5258C5C0-AD3F-4A77-8E91-B65DA89337A5.jpeg

Drivers side done
2821425C-F9CE-4C32-B5F9-810E516FFAC0.jpeg

Put in my Halon fire bottle with my Wit's End mount last weekend. Fits awesome, and now I'm prepared in case of a severe emergency. 2.5lb Halon 1211 will put out a pretty beefy vehicle fire.

Extinguisher 01.jpg

Extinguisher 02.jpg

Extinguisher 03.jpg

Extinguisher 04.jpg

Extinguisher 05.jpg

This arvo I started on sorting out some rust on the driver's door around and under the door skin seam sealer. It's been bugging me lately and seeing as how it's Sunday, I thought it would be a good little job that I can do with hand tools so as not to upset my neighbours with the angle grinder, air compressor etc...on second thoughts, bugger 'em :flipoff2:
Hehe, nah, it's not true what everyone says...I'm not a complete pr/ck all the time :rofl: I just used a large flat blade screwdriver and chipped and scraped all the loose paint and rust off, and cut the seam sealer out with my Stanley knife. This is the only door with any rust in it, all the others are mint, and it would appear the reason for this is the door skin was replaced at some stage, and moisture has gotten under the seam sealer and caused corrosion...just can't beat Mr T's factory job! The seam sealer is black, I guess it's Sikaflex or some other urethane, unlike the off white standard stuff, and was definitely not applied as neat and smooth as the factory job.
The following 3 pics are after cleaning it all up and treating with Fertan; which is a type of rust converter that converts the rust (I know, who would've guessed it!) into ferric tannate. It's really good stuff, I've been using it for years, and it's non-toxic, unlike the phosphoric acid type converters.
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG

The next couple of pics are inside the door cavity.
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG

This arvo I started on sorting out some rust on the driver's door around and under the door skin seam sealer. It's been bugging me lately and seeing as how it's Sunday, I thought it would be a good little job that I can do with hand tools so as not to upset my neighbours with the angle grinder, air compressor etc...on second thoughts, bugger 'em :flipoff2:
Hehe, nah, it's not true what everyone says...I'm not a complete pr/ck all the time :rofl: I just used a large flat blade screwdriver and chipped and scraped all the loose paint and rust off, and cut the seam sealer out with my Stanley knife. This is the only door with any rust in it, all the others are mint, and it would appear the reason for this is the door skin was replaced at some stage, and moisture has gotten under the seam sealer and caused corrosion...just can't beat Mr T's factory job! The seam sealer is black, I guess it's Sikaflex or some other urethane, unlike the off white standard stuff, and was definitely not applied as neat and smooth as the factory job.
The following 3 pics are after cleaning it all up and treating with Fertan; which is a type of rust converter that converts the rust (I know, who would've guessed it!) into ferric tannate. It's really good stuff, I've been using it for years, and it's non-toxic, unlike the phosphoric acid type converters.View attachment 2219376View attachment 2219377View attachment 2219378

The next couple of pics are inside the door cavity.
View attachment 2219391View attachment 2219392
Cool stuff if the result is weldable too. I'd like to take each door and TIG all the seams together rather than deal with 32+ year old seam sealer.

Still waiting for my Radflo’s to come back from rebuild/upgrading on my daily GX, so I’ve been driving the 60 daily for a week now. Went fishing today, like I do most weekends. I’m a terrible fisherman, but it’s relaxing.

View attachment 2220300
Now that's a Land Cruiser....and I'm talking about the one on the left, obviously :steer:
Mate, I'm the same as you, bloody love going fishing...but I'm pretty hopeless at actually catching 'em!
You know what they say, a bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work🤣

Loaded her up on the trailer for the first time. My first time pulling 10,000 pounds with a Cummings. Holly faak those 12 valves have torque. No action shots:bang:

IMG_0723[1].JPG

Decided to pull the fuel pump out, as it had a hi pitch sound barely audible, but enough to notice it... been dealing with two DTCs for lean fuel trim for a while now... pump is 10 years old...
Time to rebuild...

20200224_182209.jpg

So recently I've had my speakers cutting out and couldn't figure out why…

IMG_0821.jpg

Turns out 3 of 4 tabs on the PO's aftermarket speakers have broken, it was hanging by the one remaining and one of the terminals was intermittently shorting against the body. I guess it's time to put @TheNeek speaker rings in and use something else?

A few weeks ago I needed to be in Salt Lake City on business, and I live near San Francisco. Normally I'd fly, but I decided the Goat hadn't seen a decent road trip in awhile, and this way I could then head north to visit my son @JohnnyOshow22 up in Bozeman, MT afterward. I thought the 37x12.50R17 Cooper SST Pro's I run for Rubicon trail duty might not make the best road trip tire, and they certainly weren't the best choice for the snow and ice covered roads I knew I'd encounter. So, I picked up a set of Falken A/T3W's in the same size, put them on 4WParts steelies like the Coopers, and headed off. The truck ran great all the way there and back, and the Falken's surely earned their keep.

Cutting through West Yellowstone just before a major storm hits, the heated windshield wiper blades I installed to augment the poor heat output of the defroster are about to earn their keep...

SEP_5972_DxO.jpg

One of the locals...

SEP_6039_DxO.jpg

I had always wondered how much I weighed so I stopped at a random unmanned weigh station in the middle of nowhere, Idaho ... I estimate I was about 500 lb short of a full load of people and gear...

SEP_6052_DxO.jpg

SEP_6052_DxO-1.jpg

I got an early start to the day on my last day headed home, Boise to the Bay Area. I had been driving for a couple of hours under moon and stars, so it felt good to pull over and enjoy the first full rays of light that morning. I'm ready for my next road trip. And Rubithon!

SEP_6077_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Lotta work getting done:

-front rotors + pads
-tie road ends
-shocks
-stabilizer
-knuckle rebuild

Gnna ride like a champ!!

20200228_152148_HDR.jpg

20200228_152234_HDR.jpg

20200228_154303.jpg

20200228_154749.jpg

It was a nice sunny day so I adjusted the brake booster rod to correct a late engagement issue I'd been noticing and took the border collie for a grocery run. I don't have the SST to measure and did my best with calipers, so of course I had to stop on the way to back off the rod a bit once everything heated up. Got down to the Trader Joe's and these folks followed me in:
IMG_0825.jpg

…then on the way out this clean 62 was parked next door:
IMG_0826.jpg

Guess it was a good day for a cruise. Bonus JDM firetruck content, parked at Landcruiser NW:
IMG_0827.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom