How bad is it, Doc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed “a spot” this afternoon and I’m a little concerned. I caught a rust spot on the frame today that I hadn’t really noticed due to its location. Not sure exactly what to think of this one so I figure I’ll post up here.

Vehicle: 1997 LX450 with 192k miles. Been garaged in my ownership the last 5 years. Midwest vehicle but good example of a “clean one”.

Location of the spot: passenger side rear frame. Outside.

It’s more than surface now. What’s the diagnosis? What’s the best way to take care of this so it doesn’t get worse?

000315CD-9849-40B0-995B-7AAEB3360306.jpeg
028CCBD5-DAC1-48EB-BFC7-045E74A7CA90.jpeg

Wire wheel to see how deep. It’s an odd spot to rust from the inside. But if you can get down to raw steel. Just paint is and keep an eye on it.

Or other response is it’s scrap. I’ll buy it from you. At double scrap rate...

That is from rubbin your tire - clean it, get into it if you can, paint the spot, check over it after wheeling to make sure its coated.

Eliminate it to the point of bare metal. Chemically treat it, fill with metal, chemically treat again, primer, paint/other exterior coating.

That is serious rust. Sell the truck now. You should not have to deal with that, since it's only 22 years old.

Replace the head gasket immediately!!!!

Haha sounds like the prognosis is pretty good. I'll wire wheel it after my Labor Day trip.

It's definitely caused by the lack of cupholders in this thing... the head gasket was just replaced and I hit the dash to get my D to work.

Replace the head gasket immediately!!!!
Yeah that's likely the real culprit. That spot in particular is a unique cold spot next to the leaking exhaust vapor where moisture condenses and erodes the frame.

The rust doesn't look too bad but the head gasket is likely toast. Read up on the forum for other people's experience.

I have (had) the exact same spot on mine. Midwest (WI) vehicle - 314k on it. Basically ground it down with the wire wheel brush, Pressure washed the inside of frame the best I could and "coated" it with implement primer and paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom