Rusted Knuckle How Bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently drained my differentials and noticed my front end was green. Reading about it, figured it was the axle seals and the grease and gear oil mixing. In about 3 weeks I’ll be rebuilding my knuckles (first time) I’m just away on travel until then. I took this photo of my knuckle before I left with abnormal rusting. How bad is this? Is this something I should be worried about when I’m rebuilding the knuckle. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
RenderedImage.jpeg

Agreed your diff oil and grease are mixing.
Once you have the knuckle off, you'll have full access to the balls. You can get all that off with some sandpaper or wirewheel. Just need the surface fairly smooth (if it isn't already) for the wipers to make full contact.
Should be fine.

Agree with above.

Post up photos after you've done the initial clean-up and rust removal. If you wanted to go a bit further, some hand sanding with long strips of progressively finer grit emery cloth, that works but you won't be able to remove all the pits (and you shouldn't try to).

Once all you have left are some pits then you can use a phosphoric acid rust killer (Ospho, Rust-Mort, ---) to kill the rust in the pits. After that's all dry (follow the directions on the bottle) you can paint the swivel balls using either Rattle can paint or (better) 2K catalyzed paint and epoxy primer like SprayMax which will last longer.

By the looks of your axle housing the whole thing could be treated, primed, and painted FWIW. If there's anyone in your area that can "sand" blast (media blast using something other than sand) the axle housing, that would be the ultimate way to go.

Last edited:
@zbrad definitely would be interesting to see what it looks like once the knuckle is off the vehicle and cleaned up a bit.

I am dealing with the same thing now. The knuckles are very rusted. I used a wire wheel, composite wheel, sandpaper, and elbow grease. it is still pretty pitted.

Would it help if I put self-etching primer on it? Maybe just paint it with 2-part epoxy (West Systems)? Rustoleum Rust paint? Leave it be?

Do I just sand it more?

IMG_1592 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1594 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1598 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1599 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1600 Medium.jpeg

I am dealing with the same thing now. The knuckles are very rusted. I used a wire wheel, composite wheel, sandpaper, and elbow grease. it is still pretty pitted.

Would it help if I put self-etching primer on it? Maybe just paint it with 2-part epoxy (West Systems)? Rustoleum Rust paint? Leave it be?

Do I just sand it more?

View attachment 3419813View attachment 3419814View attachment 3419815View attachment 3419816View attachment 3419817
I sprayed mine with some ospho then followed it up with 2k eastwood paint works like a charm.

The phosphoric acid products like RustMort (AutoBody supply stores) or Rust Kutter (Tractor Supply), or Ospho (ACE Hardware in the US) help to slow down/kill/convert the rust left in the pits, follow that with a primer and paint. I've used SprayMax 2k Epoxy Primer and 2k Black Topcoat, works very well together. They're not cheap, about $25-30 per can and they have to be used up quickly. Once the aerosol cans are activated the primer is sprayable for a few days, the topcoat for only ~24 hours before it hardens in the can.

Check out Summit Racing. One can of each is more than enough for the swivel balls, if you plan to paint the entire axle get at least two cans of each.

The Spraymax may be the same product as Eastwoods brand, Made in Germany.

Spraymax Epoxy primer comes in three colors, Beige, Grey, and Black,

The Hot Rod Satin Black is close to the original look (not full Gloss)
but maybe is a touch higher gloss than what the axle looked like when new.
FWIW

Follow the directions on all the products (go online to get instructions for Spraymax). It's obviously most Important to clean, clean, clean, before priming and painting, final cleaning with Acetone (the Green can of CRC Brake cleaner or Acetone from a hardware store paint section).

Last edited:

Do I just sand it more?

View attachment 3419813View attachment 3419814View attachment 3419815View attachment 3419816View attachment 3419817
Are you saving all this rust you're removing? You may a a full Jeep's worth by the time you're done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom