Bolt on sliders and rust worries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I’m in the market for sliders due to massive amounts of overtime and it seems like all but the 4XInnovations are all bolt on sliders. While I’m aware that removal on the passenger side makes accessing Toyota low hanging fruits of the EPA’s gold standard sniffer purifiers (those pesky cats) much easier, I’ve also seen adverse effects from the bolt on sliders I had on my taco. Water, salt, and god knows what else was able to get between the mating surface and the frame and neither seemed to benefit from the result. Those were All-Pro’s bolt on which had a large plate and more than a bakers dozen bolts going through between the sides and bottom.

So, when I’m looking at the U-Bolt solution, I have nightmares of the U Bolts allowing the mounting plates to shift, wiggle, or otherwise vibrate and eventually cause rust between the slider and frame. Is this actually an issue? Is it addressed by annually removing the slider, sanding and applying the Chassis paint of choice to everything? Are their weld ons aside from 4xInnovations?

Pic for attention
299BA3C1-A39F-477E-9698-B429573DCEA6.jpeg

I have been running bolt on's for 13yrs in CO with no material amount of rust or other type of damage from the bolt on aspect of the sliders. Personally, I don't worry about it. If you want to weld on, take a look at the Trail Gear options. Many around here have welded those up with good success.

I can only speak of my experience. I have some OPOR that I got from Metal Tech years ago. They have taken a pounding without any incident, other than needing some paint touch-up. I recently got a new cruiser and moved them over. There was no extra rust where they mounted to the frame. I did have to replace some of the U-bolts though because they were damaged and could not reuse them.

In the end, I decided to keep the original cruiser and purchased a new set to replace the ones I stole from it. I think these are a good product and a good value.

I do want to clarify that I live in Oregon where frame rust is not a huge issue. YMMV.

I’ve also seen adverse effects from the bolt on sliders I had on my taco.

I am not sure what year your Tacoma was but I know some of the first gen Tacoma's had bad issues with frame rust and Toyota even did a frame recall on some of them. That could have been your problem. I have not had rust issues with my bolt on sliders. If you were really worried about you could lay down an extra layer of paint / por15 under the slider or maybe get a rubber spacer or something. I would be more worried about weld on sliders rusting around the welds.....

I painted the frame where the bolt on brackets touch. Then as I put them on sprayed some fluid film on that same area. No rust after a year a year or two in Ohio rust belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom