Fixed top swb list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The first owner of my truck made the bed. The 2nd owner bobbed it. (and cut the top off)

20161011_080214.jpg

Last edited:
@BananaBenderQLD there's aftermarket fiberglass roofs but not factory Toyota

@Searcher356 I think I see where you thought it was a fiberglass roof because it' smooth without ribs, the 62-late 63 fixedtops had ribbed roofs that where fabricated out multiple pieces, late63-64 fixedtops had smooth roofs pressed out of one piece, but both were steel, the only fiberglass ones are aftermarket fixedtop or removable top

@Searcher356 I think I see where you thought it was a fiberglass roof because it' smooth without ribs, the 62-late 63 fixedtops had ribbed roofs that where fabricated out multiple pieces, late63-64 fixedtops had smooth roofs pressed out of one piece, but both were steel, the only fiberglass ones are aftermarket fixedtop or removable top
You're right - I just noticed the "no ribs." I just assumed that "no ribs" meant "no steel." But I never looked closely at the few I have seen. Usually looking at the back window rubber - to ask if they were Repros.
Anybody know of one of our Mudders progress, to have repro's made?

I didn't think there was a fiberglass replacement roof panel for a fixed top rig. the fixed tops are a different size than the removable top roof panel. they are not interchangeable.

I didn't think there was a fiberglass replacement roof panel for a fixed top rig. the fixed tops are a different size than the removable top roof panel. they are not interchangeable.
You can always fabricate a fiberglass roof. Whacking an FJ40 roof to get the corners and drip rails could make it work. The corner radii can be adjusted, once you expose the drip rails. To me, that's what the roof looks like.

@3_puppies there was a fibrglass replacement panel shop in Queensland Australia that made a fibreglass non ribbed smooth roof for a fixedtop, but he told me he sold the mold to a company in the United States called Spector offroad many years ago
If you go back a few posts I posted photos with the difference from a removable top roof to a fixedtop

Who can ping Specter about this? I'm going to try and fix my fixed top roof, but it may too far gone. If there was a possibility of a replacement, even fiberglass, that would be better than nothing.

Who can ping Specter about this? I'm going to try and fix my fixed top roof, but it may too far gone. If there was a possibility of a replacement, even fiberglass, that would be better than nothing.

back 10 years ago when I inquired about one or any replacement, I was told SOL
I'm thinking the fixed top market is very, very small.
Gozzard was/is making roof panels for the removable top models, but they are a different dimension than a fixed top.

@3_puppies there was a fibrglass replacement panel shop in Queensland Australia that made a fibreglass non ribbed smooth roof for a fixedtop, but he told me he sold the mold to a company in the United States called Spector offroad many years ago
If you go back a few posts I posted photos with the difference from a removable top roof to a fixedtop

I had no idea there was a place in OZ making panels at 1 time. We never had access to them in the states.

That is the story the owner of the shop told me, it must have been back in the 90's when he sold the mold, whether something happened to it in transport or it's sitting in the rafters of spectors warehouse, I would like to hear back if someone does enquire about it

Correct me if i am wrong about grills and grill surrounds.
It's my impression that the earliest '45s had embossed surrounds saying "Toyota," like 3fj45-13399 above.
I think the chrome "Toyota" lettering IN the grill mesh only appeared AFTER they stopped embossing the surrounds.
I also think this happened about the time they went from the fixed-top, to the fake windshield hinge but not yet removable top. @'64.
Does this sound right?

It has landcruiser embossed in the bezel actually, I think Toyota stopped the stampped bezel around mid 1963 replacing it with a Toyota badge in the grill, sometime at the start of 1963 the bolt on windshield appeared instead of being welded in, in late 63 Toyota also changed the lower rear panel of the cab from outward ribs to larger inward ribs like removable tops that was around the time from ribbed roof to smooth roof for 64, the toolbox was also changed about the time the bolt on windshield appeared

Catskinner, Bezel is probably a better term. Have you ever seen an FJ-anything that had BOTH the embossed bezel AND the script in the grill mesh? I haven't.
I thought the cab rib panels changed with the removable top. I have only seen one fixed-top with the "bolt-on" windshield, and I'm pretty sure the ribs were like my '63. We compared jack handles so I was right there. But that was 40+ years ago.
I sure don't see many.
Thanks for your timeline. Good stuff.

Just made a deal on this fixed top 45 tonight. I’ve never had one or seen one in person so excited to get it here

A4C18EAA-B7FD-4104-8ED0-89D95DE5D620.png

17372374-7715-4A30-8CF8-4D7E945E8C46.png

83F01C47-C37E-43F0-BC3B-45DC46598D42.png

2B87C5F7-71EB-4921-926F-1D4FF59253AD.png

47AE5F04-3AB9-408B-8AA3-D5822BC8A4CA.png

I now have another frame. This one is registered as a 63 FJ45.
VIN is 3FJ4513666.

Found another one a while back.

FJ45 SWB 63 13666 GeoHaskett US

Oops, looks like I had already sent it in...

I think the list on the front post might need to be updated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom