Simple Tube Steel Sleeping Platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted a few photos in the “What Did You Do...” thread but figured I should put them all together, start-to-finish. Two-piece base for ease. Nothing special but am posting pics to help anybody else looking for ideas. 1-1/4” 14ga tube with 3/8” plywood. Plastic feet pounded into the leg ends to keep from snagging (from Ace Hardware). I’m 6’-5”, 220-lbs and it’s very solid for us. My wife is 5’-nothing and 100-nothing. Former gymnast. They’re feather weights. If you look closely in the last photo, I can still access my Big Gulp sitting in the cup holders on the rear of the console. Ha.

2ns9xdu.jpg

jgpfgn.jpg

mubdvt.jpg

33pa6hl.jpg
2yxqlqf.jpg
w2knes.jpg
281fa0.jpg
whiayu.jpg
2d12ssl.jpg

Looks like a real nice clean install, good job. Guess it would be too much to add wings that allowed access to the space along each side. I'd have to figure out where to put my fridge etc...

Looks like a real nice clean install, good job. Guess it would be too much to add wings that allowed access to the space along each side. I'd have to figure out where to put my fridge etc...

Yes, lots of folks certainly do that. I wanted something extremely simple for some two-up camping.

I'm designing DIY drawers/sleeping platform in my head and this makes me wish I had a welder or the knowledge to use one. Would be incredibly useful and so much lighter than solid wood. Looks great! You'd never guess it was built by a Brown Shoe :rofl::p (Dad was a SWO, I've been hearing jabs at pilots my whole life)

I'm designing DIY drawers/sleeping platform in my head and this makes me wish I had a welder or the knowledge to use one. Would be incredibly useful and so much lighter than solid wood. Looks great! You'd never guess it was built by a Brown Shoe :rofl::p (Dad was a SWO, I've been hearing jabs at pilots my whole life)

Welding is easy :) Pick up a cheap stick welder, an angle grinder with some cut off wheels, get after it! Or come take a trip to AZ and we can fab one up

Ha! Yes, my sleeping platform for my 80 was wooden. It's just never quite as sturdy as some welds. I've only been welding for about 9 months and only 3 or 4 projects. I bought a decent used Lincoln on Craigslist. Works great. I really enjoy it. I do a lot of wood-working too and can see myself splitting time between the two hobbies now. I've had no classes. I just started reading and watching YouTube videos for MIG welding. Lots of good videos out there for the beginner.

My first project was cleaning up some rust on my 80-Series. Probably not the best or easiest starter project! Ha. Turned out fine.

30lm0pw.jpg

fop0ro.jpg

2v7uhki.jpg

what was the reason for pulling the second row and having a full platform over making a platform that would sit level with the second row folded flat?

Personal preference. I wanted to build it as low as possible due to my long torso height when I sit up. Also, we have no kids. ;) The second row seats come out so fast so it's not a huge deal for me to pop them out when we decide to hit the road.

Ok I'm convinced. Home welder will be on the short list of garage additions, right after I build these two new work benches in the next week or two.

OoOo I'm working on some workbench designs right now, what are you looking at doing? I am about to start the CAD modelling.

*cough* you could make them out of steel with your new welder ;)

Soooo.....to totally hijack this thread....let’s say someone that has no business ever welding (me) wants to get some welding stuff on the cheap....to do stuff like this....what do I need? Links would be cool. ;)

Soooo.....to totally hijack this thread....let’s say someone that has no business ever welding (me) wants to get some welding stuff on the cheap....to do stuff like this....what do I need? Links would be cool. ;)

On the cheap? Grab a little flux core buzz box—Century makes one that's sold at Home Depot, and of course Harbor Freight has one as well.

Century: Century 90 Amp FC90 Flux Core Wire Feed Welder and Gun, 120V-K3493-1 - The Home Depot
HF: Flux 125 Welder

Both places will sell the basic safety equipment as well.

They're both flux-core wire (rather than shielding gas, they use flux, embedded in the wire). It makes a mess (you'll want to own an angle grinder), and can't look as good as @harrydunn's work, but for not much cash you can kind of figure out what to do. Youtube is your friend.

Good luck!

Hopefully this jack is OK with @harrydunn since he's the inspiration behind this new wave of would-be welders...

I texted my welder buddy and this is what he told me: (keep in mind he's probably kind of snobby about welding because, well, he's a master at it) "A decent wire feeder will cost about $500. Then a spool of wire about $50 and then a gas bottle about $250ish. And if the machine doesn't come with a gauge then about $100. Then a sheild, about $50. Gloves and tools. You're looking right about a grand for everything. Decent stuff. Harbor freight special will do the job but you'd be very limited to what you can do. Gas less wire feeders suck. "

D3CB5835-C42D-4485-B0D8-83CE7D9F4674.jpeg
Some of his comment relates to the experience while welding, too. I have around $1,400 into mine when you add in my saw. This is a used Hobart MVP 210 with a bottle and all the associated consumables. Going with a MIG (non- flux core) gives you the ability to actually see what you’re doing and enjoy the hobby. Flux core splatters and smokes but will get the job done if you just want to stick metal together.
Hopefully this jack is OK with @harrydunn since he's the inspiration behind this new wave of would-be welders...

I texted my welder buddy and this is what he told me: (keep in mind he's probably kind of snobby about welding because, well, he's a master at it) "A decent wire feeder will cost about $500. Then a spool of wire about $50 and then a gas bottle about $250ish. And if the machine doesn't come with a gauge then about $100. Then a sheild, about $50. Gloves and tools. You're looking right about a grand for everything. Decent stuff. Harbor freight special will do the job but you'd be very limited to what you can do. Gas less wire feeders suck. "

And by the way, if anyone is in the Dallas area and wants to come check out my setup and try out welding, you’re more than welcome.

I learned how on the flux setup, then switched to the setup like Mongoose describes. I have exactly @dchilds setup now, same welder and all. It's a really nice unit (I don't weld professionally, so take it with a grain of salt)

Ha. No problem at all. I love encouraging people to try new hobbies and gain new skills. The more I learn now, the more I’ll have to keep me busy in retirement.

I’ll be honest, you will hate flux-core welding in my opinion. It’s messy. I started with the one mentioned from harbor freight above and returned it the same weekend. However, the price is certainly right for a beginner. I decided to look for a nice used (but older) name brand gas unit on Craigslist. I paid $275 plus maybe $70 for the bottle. Pretty good deal and it welds really well. Miller/Lincoln/Hobart are some top choices.

View attachment 1852364 Some of his comment relates to the experience while welding, too. I have around $1,400 into mine when you add in my saw. This is a used Hobart MVP 210 with a bottle and all the associated consumables. Going with a MIG (non- flux core) gives you the ability to actually see what you’re doing and enjoy the hobby. Flux core splatters and smokes but will get the job done if you just want to stick metal together.

Really liking your Hobart. Those are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom