Vibration after lift On my 98 100series - help me out!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally had the hundy lifted the other day But now I have a vibration that wasn’t there prior to the lift when I get up to around 50-55mph. OME medium springs and OME torsion bars. (Replaced the rear upper control arms too. No thunk now) New Nitto 275-70-18 tires. I did take the rig back to the shop once to have the tires rebalanced (lug centric) and road pressure balanced, this helped a little bit but the vibration is still there. Especially at highway speeds and getting on the gas peddle.

I did not use the diff drop at the suggestion of the tech I talked to based on my intended use of the rig. Mostly non tech off road use. Nothing crazy.

Any suggestions on where I need to start looking to get this solved? Could the vibration be from not having the diff drop?
Drive shaft issue maybe?

I would pull the drive shafts and check the u-joints for a catch or free play

My 2000 LX470 is having same issue. Just had a install of OME lift and 285/75/16 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. It is when I get on the gas at speeds between 50-65 mph or going up an incline between those speeds and push on the gas to maintain my speed. I heard to replace the ujoints because my balances check good. I just bought some new ujoints, I hope to have those replaced by next weekend. I also had a suggestion that if the ujoint replacements dont work, I should check the bearing in the 3rd member. Hope that helps and if you find the remedy or I find the remedy, let's touch base!

20181110_153544.jpg

Last edited:
Prior to the lift the shop said they thought the ujoints seemed fine. No play. I was just thinking that maybe the drive shaft needs balancing. (Read over in the 80s forum) Again, idk that’s why I’m asking here.
3rd member?

I was always under the impression that These trucks were lug centric. The shop did use the correct lugs and balance. And balanced on the road balancer machine as well.
I will add too, I forgot to mention, when at low speeds 0-45 the alignment is dead on. At the 55 and on, the truck pulls to the right.
But I have to say, I’ve never had a bad alignment vibrate a vehicle like this one is.
I know it’s something I’m gonna address with them but could that really vibrate the car like my discription?
It’s a heavy vibration if that makes since.

3rd member is the "pumpkin" the part on the rear that houses the gear, pinion, locker etc.

Screenshot_20181118-000351_Chrome.jpg

I had a slight vibration when I lifted my 4runner 3 inches. I greased the drive line on it and just drove it. The vibration went away after a few days. I don't know if the u-joints had to get used to working at different angles or what.

I was always under the impression that These trucks were lug centric. The shop did use the correct lugs and balance. And balanced on the road balancer machine as well.
I will add too, I forgot to mention, when at low speeds 0-45 the alignment is dead on. At the 55 and on, the truck pulls to the right.
But I have to say, I’ve never had a bad alignment vibrate a vehicle like this one is.
I know it’s something I’m gonna address with them but could that really vibrate the car like my discription?
It’s a heavy vibration if that makes since.

I feel ya! Same happening to me. I can do a normal acceleration from 0-70mph and nothing. Only between 50-60mph and then accelerate. It's strange and concerning for sure.

Is the 3rd member bearing a common issue with these? That seems like a big job.
Can the ujoints cause this and need replaced if there is no play?
Skinz - did you put on the diff drop?
Or is that just ruled out as a cause?

Is the 3rd member bearing a common issue with these? That seems like a big job.
Can the ujoints cause this and need replaced if there is no play?
Skinz - did you put on the diff drop?
Or is that just ruled out as a cause?

I did not put on the diff drop (maybe phase 2 of upgrades) I'm a noob with the lx/100s. I was told that ujoint are the most common cause but if it doesn't remedy the problem, I should look into the 3rd member to see if the bearing needs replacing. It is a intricate job and I would have someone experienced handling mine if I have to go that route. Hopefully it wont be. The ujoints can be the cause if no play from what I was told cause there is tension from the drive shaft on them and once the shaft is removed it will show if there is movement or even rust/corrosion not visible from outside. Easy fix ujoints, $125 for both labor and about $30 for each ujoint. I will probably do mine myself.

I did not put on the diff drop (maybe phase 2 of upgrades) I'm a noob with the lx/100s. I was told that ujoint are the most common cause but if it doesn't remedy the problem, I should look into the 3rd member to see if the bearing needs replacing. It is a intricate job and I would have someone experienced handling mine if I have to go that route. Hopefully it wont be. The ujoints can be the cause if no play from what I was told cause there is tension from the drive shaft on them and once the shaft is removed it will show if there is movement or even rust/corrosion not visible from outside. Easy fix ujoints, $125 for both labor and about $30 for each ujoint. I will probably do mine myself.
Same here. Noob to the 100s. Didn’t have this issue with my old 4Runner. Maybe some experienced guys will chime in here. Keep me posted on yours.

To much lift in front can cause this. Check that you have around 2.5 inches of droop or more.

So your referencing the front end I assume when you’re talking about droop?
Yep. A number of folks have cranked their t-bars (front) too far which left them with too little droop and had ride issues.

Exact same issue here after rear Springs Installation then TB Crank.

I’m about 1” lower front to rear (rake) and have 2” droop. I’m going to lower the front a little more and see if that helps.

Originally thought it was the new spacers, but still have it after removal.

Last edited:
Yep TBs cranked to high. Dropped them about 3/4 in and all is good to go.
So here’s the next question I have, if I put on the diff drop would raising the front to level doable?

In my experience it's almost always due to not enough rake. I put new rear springs in mine and got the rear back up and the ride is back to being vibration free.

I am starting to agree. I was at 21” Front and 22” Rear, but as I load up the cargo area and hitch hauler I was sagging about 1” (865 Springs). So basically I was level. I dropped down to 20.5” and it’s not vibrating near as much now.
Now I’m going to put my spacers back on and see if they were ever causing a problem to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom