2B engine upgrades- need more HP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in the Philippines and have a 75' FJ which had a 2B installed in the 90's. I bought it four years ago and had a restoration done. Everything but the engine. which my mechanic says had been recently rebuilt and runs great but is totally gutless. I had thought of buying a 1HZ-TE or something like that but the cost for the engine alone is 2500-3000 USD and then I might have it rebuilt and pay for the install so I thought to do the following to my 2B:

Mill the head .20
Port the head and exhaust manifold
use 2.5-3.0 straight through performance pipes
Cold air intake

I am not looking to go fast as Cruisers don't do fast but want to get up to speed (80 Kph) and stop all the downshifting on even mild grades.
I guess my question is does anyone think this will give me the additional HP I want?
Last resort is to install a turbo.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Nope, those mods won't get you where u want to be imho. I think going straight to a turbo is the way to go. Just make sure that you don't run the egts too high though, an intercooler is the best bet too. Trust me, it's never going to be fast because it wasn't built to be. It's like trying to wake up a dead horse.

Nope, those mods won't get you where u want to be imho. I think going straight to a turbo is the way to go. Just make sure that you don't run the egts too high though, an intercooler is the best bet too. Trust me, it's never going to be fast because it wasn't built to be. It's like trying to wake up a dead horse.

X2. You’re going to need a turbo and even then you’ll still wish it had more power.

Hopefully your mechanic is competent enough and has checked the basics already including
  • Injection pump spill timing
  • Valve clearances
  • Injector spray patterns
  • Injector crack pressures
  • Air filter is new
  • No fuel flow restrictions
  • No ingress of air into the fuel feed
Other minor things to stay on top of are:
  • Tyre pressures are nice and high if you're running on bitumen
  • Vehicle weight is kept as low as practically possible
  • Roof top tents and racks and other loads are avoided where possible

You could also give the fuel screw a bit of a tickle outwards... it can be set a bit conservatively from factory.

Lets make sure the engine is running bang on etc before determining it lacks the power for you.

Last edited:
Great advice from all. I think you all saved me some cash. Off to the tuners and then see if mama will let Santa leave that tubo under the tree.

Look at @Diesel42 kit... Good price and great fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom