Squealing Throw out bearing/ pressure plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorslc1977

SILVER Star
Threads
Just finished main seal, oil pan, and seals in Transmission and Transfer case. Everything works just right shifts perfectly, all ranges of Transfer work fine and no leaks! However when engaging clutch there is a squeal just as power is transferred. No squeal when in neutral; no squeal when fully engaged; only when in transition. When engaging clutch with Trans in neutral you feel/hear very lightly the same sound. All new Aisan clutch kit: pressure plate; friction disc; throw out bearing; pilot bearing. Thoughts? Ideas? I think it sounds like bad throw out bearing but it is brand new

Did my clutch this spring, same deep dive as you and had the same experience. I think its the fresh pressure plate and refinished flywheel, should subside with time although mine is still audible. At least that's what a couple other 40 owners said when I asked and had them listen to it.

I hope that is the case I have less than 2 miles on the new parts. I will take it on a shake down cruise this weekend and see if it helps.

OK did some investigating. Drove it Saturday maybe 20 25 miles noise never went away. Pulled inspection cover and took light and looked closely--- The fingers of the pressure plate are all uneven, some are not even touching the throw out bearing. Tonight after work I am going to loosen up pressure plate bolts and re -torque. I think the pressure plate hung up on a guide pin or two as they were tight when they went together. Will post pics ( if I can get them to load) and results after I get off work tonight.

The fingers on the pp are not supposed to touch the throw out bearing, unless the pedal is depressed.

The fingers on the pp are not supposed to touch the throw out bearing, unless the pedal is depressed.

This ^^^ Make sure that NO fingers touch the throw out bearing while the clutch is disengaged. Otherwise you will be replacing your throw out bearing in short order.

Update. Re-torqued pressure plate bolts. All fingers are evenly spaced about 3 - 4 mm off of the throw out bearing when not engaged. Still whines/whirs-- not quite as bad. Shifts and operates flawlessly. I had some chatter in reverse before repairs but having fly machined eliminated that. I am going to drive it a while and keep a close eye. Don't know what else to do.

Brand new Aisan throwout bearing. Honestly it shifts like the day I bought it new. I am going to see if it is a situation like in post #2 ---give it a while to break in.

If the squeal is only on transition, it would either be the disc not seating flat, or the throwout bearing. Maybe the disc has a bit of a high spot that will settle in with some wear. You could let my 14 yo drive it.....she is very good at riding the clutch as she learns to drive a stick! Unless it it pretty bad I would be inclined to give a couple of hundred miles before I pulled the tranny again.

That is the plan. It works so smoothly I am reluctant to redo anything yet. Time will tell.

Don't think it is in backwards. There was another thread where the correct orientation was shown in picture and that is how mine is. Taper side towards the pressure plate

OK another update. After 200 - 300 miles with new clutch combo in place the whirring noise has almost disappeared. Still shifts and engages perfectly. As I mentioned earlier, before repairs I had chatter in clutch especially when engaging reverse and that is all gone as well. I think maye "emac" may be right-- slight high spot in the friction disc.

I don't know about you but I like it when people post updates/ends to threads. In that vein I would like to say that the noise after 1500 - 2000 miles is gone. Very well respected machinist re-surfaced flywheel on clutch job---Aisin parts. Maybe parts just breaking in? Shifts perfectly-- no chatter like sometimes before in reverse.

Several good reasons to report back on an original problem: first the guys helping you would like to hear about the solution or continuing problem. Second, anyone else with the same or similar problem reading this thread years later would like to know if the suggestions proved to be the solution to the problem.

So..............thank-you for checking back in !

Thanks for the report. Make sure you have a clutch return spring installed to pull the lever back after operating the clutch. The PO didn't install one and I am replacing the entire kit just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom