carb rebuild/replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1982, FJ43, partially restored that I brought back from Colombia. My FJ43 runs well but Im a little tired of poring gas into the carb when I first start it. Any suggestions on the best kit or replacement for it would be helpful. The FJ has the original 4.2L in line 6.

Last edited:
you want to chat with @FJ40Jim on this forum

Try the redneck carb rebuild first, when at idle, smother the carb

The red neck rebuild is blip the butterfly then smoother the carb.

If you have fuel in the sight gage and it only starts if you pour some gas into the carb. that sounds like a situation i had, bad accelerator pump in the carb. I bought a rebuild kit for the carb. and followed the youtube rebuild videos posted by pinhead. Mine has a '82 engine.

So just to be clear, like TCEd mentioned, you have fuel in the sight glass but you still need pour some gas in to start??

no on the sight glass, which I am unaware of, but yes to the poring gas into the carb.

I am unaware of a sight glass, but I do pour gas into the carb to start it the first time.

cimg0302-jpg.251065

Sight glass on front of the carb. Normally it shows the bowl half full. With this condition you could still have a bad accelerator pump and need to add fuel or ether to start.

tks, I went out and located it after your 1st response and its empty.

Not uncommon for these rigs to evaporate the fuel out of the bowl when it's shut down warmed up and then sits overnight. Just requires some cranking for the mechanical pump to fill the bowl.
If you have someone crank it for you, you can see the fuel come up in the sight glass. I always hated all that cranking.
If the accelerator pump is bad it will also be sluggish or try to die when you hit the gas pedal heavily.

This was my solution. Works on the two port mechanical pump. Not the three port.
Post #12 in this thread. "Click Here"

I have a 1982, FJ43, partially restored that I brought back from Colombia. My FJ43 runs well but Im a little tired of poring gas into the carb when I first start it. Any suggestions on the best kit or replacement for it would be helpful. The FJ has the original 4.2L in line 6.

Sounds like a neat truck.

There are tons of great folks and resources on the forum here. As @morganism said, @FJ40Jim is a carb guru, and very helpful.

Some other suggestions, since it looks like you're relatively new to the forum:
• Get the factory service manuals for your truck / engine, and read through them. Digital copies can be found in the archives, and most manuals are available in print.
• Check out the FAQ (40-series FAQ) for lots of great info.
• The "search" feature of the MUD forums (upper right corner of your web browser) can be super helpful to help track down info about whatever topic / issue you're researching.

Keep posting, reading, and learning, and have with it!

thanks and I will take your advice and his info has been very appreciated.

This is the appropriate kit for USA... I don’t know if Columbia is different.

@65swb45 (Mark) is another carb guru... both Mark and Jim have rebuilt carbs for me... both did great rebuilds (2 carbs).

I also paid extra for Mark to do some performance modifications... runs like a small V8 and climbs like a scalded goat.

Jim’s in OH and Mark’s in CA.

tks i am printing the recomendations and taking them to my mechanic. unfortunately i have limited skills with much of the work required

tks i am printing the recomendations and taking them to my mechanic. unfortunately i have limited skills with much of the work required

Mark and Jim can work wonders with Aisan carbs... mechanics that don’t know Aisan carbs can work the worst kind of wonders.

Many MUDders rebuild their own, using @Pin_Head ’s YouTube videos... they do a good job of it.

I have old eyes and arthritic hands... I elected to have mine rebuilt by the experts.

If you aren’t gonna use Jim or Mark, you should search for Pin_head on YouTube and watch his videos... you might find this is something you can do for yourself.

Just watch the videos, take “before” pictures, pay attention to detail, be organized and live the dream!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom