Mechanical fuel pump wiring connections 2L-T (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks and friends,

I'm checking to see if anyone can tell me how to make the wiring connections for a mechanical fuel injection pump.
I have replaced an EFI pump with a mechanical pump, the fuel shut off is simple enough, I don't know what to make of the "Pick up Sensor (w/o TCV)" wiring, my manual dose not show or indicate what that "Sensor" is for or how it functions. (It must have something to do with the governor).
My pump dose not have the TVC, HAC, or even the idle up for AC (may have to add it later).

Can anyone share what this sensor dose and or how to connect it?

Any links to a manual on the subject would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

Pretty sure the pick-up sensor in the mechanical pumps is for your tachometer. But I'd have to look into it more to be able to tell you more definitively.

Hi Nick,
I had the same thought just after posting this, I'll do some digging, I need to find a wiring diagram for a 92 Surf and I haven't been real successful, I did find one but I'm not sure of the year "Hilux" it refers to.

Thanks for responding, Allen

I owned a 1990 Hilux Surf with R150 and mechanical injection 2LT-II for a little less than a year. I recently sold it to a fellow, and have been helping him with some of the mechanical repairs it needed (part of the sale deal). One of the things it needed was the injection pump re-sealed as the original factory seals were leaking.

The buyer removed the pump, and I re-sealed it for him. So I got pretty intimate with the pump in the re-sealing process. Been a couple weeks, but I recall the only electronics on the pump were the fuel shut-off solenoid in the pump head, the tachometer pick-up (sticks out the side of the pump that faces the block), and a throttle position sensor (used for emissions purpose only). We actually removed the throttle position sensor as it's used to control the EGR which I'd removed before the sale anyhow.

I'll look around for some info, but I did go by the factory 2L/3L/5L manual as well as the 2LT-II supplement which gave me all the info I needed.

If I were you, I'd try to find an example of someone else converting a 2LTE Surf to the 2LT-II engine. There should be an example of exactly how you need to change the wiring.

Heard from a fellow in NZ, he confirmed those wires are for the tack, he also informed me the tack on the mechanical pumps uses a different pulse than the unit on the EFI pumps, I'll start the search for a proper tack next.

I will say one thing for the adventure, getting it to a place were it runs and drives will be much more satisfying than just installing a proper engine in the first place.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom