mechanical pump to electronic pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a roller rocker 2lt and I was wondering if it is possible to convert to an electronic pump? My reasoning is I hate fiddling with my truck and it's so underpowered for what it should be. I've already asked all the questions and gotten all the answers I can, and I suspect it's simply a shoddy reman pump. What all would I need for the swap (sensors, wiring, ect)? and is there any benefits?
PXL_20240309_203343804.jpg
PXL_20240309_201253407.jpg

My reasoning is I hate fiddling with my truck

Conversion to a completely different fuel pump system is not likely to improve that. You'd be opening a massive can of worms. Lots to figure out, source, modify, adapt, then troubleshooting to get it all working seamlessly.

If you're adamant your pump is no good, you might be better off trying again with a different pump builder, rebuild or replace your current pump.

Might be time for a different truck?

If you don't like fiddling with your truck then you should not consider adding an electronically controlled fuel pump installation.

Complete wiring loom change, addition of ECU and a host of other sensors. I'm not sure the the OHV 2LT ever got EFI, so potentially even worse than converting an OHC 2LT.

Get a proper shop to set up your injection pump - once done there is no 'fiddling' necessary. I'm not sure of the back story but usually the pump is about the least likely part of the engine to cause bad running/smoke/power loss. Compression, timing, injector and turbo condition should be ruled out first.

Last edited:
Most people go the other way and convert from electronic to mechanical. agree with the comments above figure out what's wrong with it (if anything) 2lts are are not fast.

i had the exact same engine in an LJ73/5 speed, it was about the same power as my BJ73 non turbo with the 3B2 engine, (faster version of the 3B due to the rotary pump) It wasn't a speed demon but it was enuf power for the weight of the 4runner drivetrain on rural roads imo. How's the fuel pressure going into the pump ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom