Stock or 2.5 OME Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to replace current suspension on my new cruiser. it's riding at about 2.5" right now with stock shocks. Not sure where the springs came from. Ride is very bumpy and uncomfortable at times. Currently considering either a stock height or 2.5" Medium OME suspension kit.

Does a stock lift run considerably smoother? I like being able to get underneath the truck easily, but ride quality and stability may be more important. We don't take the truck offroad too often (yet). If we were to offroad it would be overlanding/camping. We'll be taking it to the mountains to ski frequently during the winter. We'd like to put a roof rack and rooftop tent on some day, but no plans for armor.

I've read a lot of threads on here, but I can't decide whether to go with the stock height or 2.5" Medium lift.

I've had both OME 2.5 med and OME stock height springs, can't say one was more smooth than the other by my seat of the pants measurement. I have OME stock height now and I would characterize the ride as firm, but at least two and half shades under being too firm.

I've had both OME 2.5 med and OME stock height springs, can't say one was more smooth than the other by my seat of the pants measurement. I have OME stock height now and I would characterize the ride as firm, but at least two and half shades under being too firm.
Well, I wouldn't be doing the OME suspension in the first place, but regardless I wouldn't do stock height if there are any plans for trail use in the future.

The biggest thing that will affect "smooth" ride vs "harsh" will be related to the shocks.

You get what you pay for, but if you stay stock height and stock replacement sprigs, go with the Tokico stock shocks.

I'm happy with my TJM progressive springs and TJM adjustable shocks. Dialed down its a smooth soft ride, if a bit floaty. I firm them up for long freeway stretchs.

Need to replace current suspension on my new cruiser. it's riding at about 2.5" right now with stock shocks. Not sure where the springs came from. Ride is very bumpy and uncomfortable at times. Currently considering either a stock height or 2.5" Medium OME suspension kit.

Does a stock lift run considerably smoother? I like being able to get underneath the truck easily, but ride quality and stability may be more important. We don't take the truck offroad too often (yet). If we were to offroad it would be overlanding/camping. We'll be taking it to the mountains to ski frequently during the winter. We'd like to put a roof rack and rooftop tent on some day, but no plans for armor.

I've read a lot of threads on here, but I can't decide whether to go with the stock height or 2.5" Medium lift.

There are two advantages for the stock height over the 2.5" lift. First, sometimes that's all the garage you have. And oftentimes downtown in big cities you encounter parking garages that indicate a 6'6" max height. With 33" tires, you will be less than 6'6" with stock height. With the 2.5" lift on, you will be right at 6'6".

The other advantage of stock height coils is that the caster won't need adjustment. From your description, I'm not sure whether the truck is already lifted or not. If it was, the previous owner may have taken care of that. In that case, easier to stay with the lift as you might have adjust things if you revert to OEM height.

BTW, the truck will be perfectly happy running 33s at stock height, if that is a factor.

I went from completely stock springs and stock shocks to OME stock height spring and Bilstein Yellows. The ride went from being floaty and listing in turns & feeling generally very top heavy to being much more planted, being able to feel the road imperfections yet not being too obtrusive, and, taking turns faster, and generally more sporty and controlled. I am pleased with the outcome. If I could do it again, I would probably get even stiffer shocks (bilstein 5100 series) because I want to be able to really feel the road even more, and I enjoy a very firm (some may say harsh) ride.

Bilstein Yellows are a tad (Less than 1") shorter than stock at full extension from what I've been told by others more knowledgeable than I, and the 5100s are firmer, longer, and made for lifted trucks, so its one less thing to buy in the future should you choose to lift it.

I am a bit of a Bilstein fan boy, but YMMV.

Also, I came from lowered muscle cars and lowered hondas with razor sharp steering response so if you've been driving old school Cadillacs your entire life, this may be a little too firm for your butt-o-meter, in which case just stick with 100% stock everything and buy new stock shocks.

greentruck is right, you should check your front bushings to see if they have been swapped for castor corrected ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom