Builds 1976 FJ40 Build thread, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
So a few questions,

When I sandblast the frame, my welder wanted to remove the motor and dissemble the frame.
I kind of chickened out so I included a video and my question is can they media blast inside the frame or something I need to know? Sure would be a great time to swap frames and make this smog free, but I have the smog parts.

00j4.JPG

t.JPG

ad6b7855bbde90b453b135228828a2fc01359b4b-1.jpg

Your "welder" is a ****ing moron.
I wouldn't even sand blast that frame, taking apart is foolish at best.....at most take the two braces off the rear and clean, otherwise wire wheel the frame and spray it with rattle can chassis black.

Ok, well great. I although frame off the guys blasted the frame or you just saying my frame is in great shape?
I really need some advice, not a "Frame war" hahah pun intended.

I should mention the "Blasting" on the frame is already paid for and being done by another shop.

@Costline, and yeah iv never had as much issue on any website more so then this one, lots of burnt feelings. name calling and iv always flipped out and @#$@#$%%!!! But not every one can work on cars and I dont know anything! I think mechanic brains are different then musicians and artists. Wrenching is a skill, a talent.

Last edited:
I love that second pic. Looks like you’ve got all the components arranged in disassembly order? That will help in reassembly! Is that your shop? I could put every tool I’ve ever owned in that tool chest lol. Another key to being a good mechanic - tool hoarding!

I just cleaned my frame up with a scraper, wire brush, power brush and degreaser (with pressure washer). Then I just used rust converter (literally finished coating this morning) and will overcoat with rattle can paint. But my frame was in a lot (lot!) worse condition than yours, including needing some pieces replaced and some welding on the inner frame box. Fair amount of residual pitting, er “texture.” Since you’ve already committed to your frame blasting just go with the flow, it will last a long time and you can have confidence in its functionality.

on edit - just noticed the pressure washer - bath time!

I used that set. Not 100 percent bolt on replacement but close. Should be easy enough with body off the frame.

What the other guys are saying is that it is an awful lot of work, (man hours), taking that frame apart. Just count the rivets!
As good as it looks I would go ahead with the blasting plans, see how the rear cross member and supports look. They are simple to replace and not that expensive.

Now, unlimited funds and a concourse style restoration is a different matter....

I have used that body mount/bushing set before and do not consider it cheap. It worked as expected and there really aren't many other options out there in a kit. Horse stall mats are an option if you'd rather not spend money on a kit.

Also, on separating the frame for blasting...I would not go the extra miles unless the frame had issues with swelling in these sections. Since you do already have the tub pulled, it's not that much extra work to pull the drivetrain to have the frame blasted. I wire wheeled a frame once and then ended up having it blasted and painted. Looked better blasted and I will never wire wheel a frame again if pulling the tub.

I ordered glass, the blaster turned out to be a little bit of a tweak.
My paint guy was pissed, they did not wash off the dust. And it took for ever.
Well all the rust is gone, so win/win and it was only $1400. I would have rather used the $1700 quote over two days not one 18 hour session.

They used Dustless Blasting - DB800

There are some bits not even done but its going to be ok, just a little more work for the paint and body, they were mad..

~HOWEVER~ My welding guy said the guy knew what he was doing, did an "OK" job.. just a little bit of screw ups making drama.

No drama as long as it got primed last night.

Wow they are still at it months later. They dont like me hanging around the shop haha. No I been there a few times.
My $5000 is going to be gone soon, my other bank has $1500.

Then after this its on to my 58 VW bus.

Then its off to Columbia and Costa rica where ill ship out 2 BJ40s and if in luck a FJ45.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom