Trustworthy machine shop near Seattle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to tear my engine apart(check out the build link in my sig!) and am looking for the right partner with which to work on the engine. I'm not just dropping it off.

I've got two good leads but am looking for some ideas:

Torfab uses Automotive Machine Specialties in Everett. He has done ~ 2 2Fs for them, recently.
I've also had a good recommendation(from a Mud'er) for Action Machine in Shoreline.

I don't skimp on quality or cleanliness and I'm looking for someone I can trust.

Anybody else?

Thanks.

-Nathan

Can't speak to the quality of TorFab. I have seen some of their work and it looked great.
My issue with them is I stopped by to get them to look at something a few months ago as they are about 3 blocks from my office. The person that needed to give me the price and availability to do the work wasn't in so I left my business card with the guy I talked to. About 5 weeks later they gave me a call and left a voicemail with some BS saying "Sorry I was supposed to call you but we have been really busy. Hopefully we can help you out. Give me a call and I will get you the price." I would never in million years drop my truck or parts off to someone who couldn't be bothered to return a call in that long. I can understand not being able to do a job. I would think less of never hearing a word. But, that is a good way to have your parts drop off into a mechanics black hole that you are forever chasing and getting run around.
And, I am not that kind of patient. Part of me wanted to call back and just give them the ," No thanks, I just did the work myself because i have no faith in you already."
I am in a similar type business, and I can think of no excuse for either just never saying anything because you are too busy to take on more work or getting back within a few days. The idea that someone is just going to be sitting around waiting for you to call them for over a month and then just rushing over to let you do business with them is just nuts.

Just my 2 cents. Not worth much, but it's my first impression of them. They had no idea whether I was asking to spend 500 bucks or $15K with them. I went in actually really hopeful that they ran a tight operation based on the work I had seen.

I've had Torfab work on my rig a few times, and Tor is a great dude. They worked fast and had reasonable prices. He's also an active member of the Seattle Cruiserheads, and has hosted some get togethers at his shop.

Sorry you didn't get a call back, but not really fair to trash a small business publicly over it. Besides, the OP isn't saying that Torfab would even do the rebuild- All torfab did is give him a referral to a machine shop...

I highly recommend Action Machine as well, they did some cylinder heads for me a couple years ago and I worked for another machine shop in the area 20 or so years ago and they were where we took all of our blocks and crankshafts machining. (We did not have the machines to do that work) others I have pointed on their direction have been very satisfied with the results. Plus Rob is a really good guy.

Torfab did me right by taking in my bastardized ‘79 40 having been through 3 shops across the country and turned out a tight machine. Couldn’t have done better myself. Adam has not been consistently prompt, by considering his backlog, I’m pleased with the service.

I’m also looking for a shop for my engine rebuild. I’m a bit further south though. I found this shop through a Google search - Pacific Engine and Machine in Tacoma - and their video online:

With regard to Torfab, does anyone know if they have experience installing the Cummins R 2.8 in an FJ40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom