40 running boards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the stock running boards on my 1980 40 seem to be really flimbsy, has anyone fabricated something under them or made a mod to reinforce them while leaving the original look?

the stock running boards on my 1980 40 seem to be really flimbsy, has anyone fabricated something under them or made a mod to reinforce them while leaving the original look?

The stock running boards were plenty stout to use as a step. Not as a slider but certainly strong enough to step on. If that not the case you have a issue with your new cruiser.

There is supposed to be a support under it tied to the frame. Look underneath and check. Should be very obvious. If missing post up on the classifieds that you need them (wanted ad) if none are available for sale already.

Good point about the brace that ties into the frame. If missing need to specify for a 79 or newer. Those changed 1/79 with the redesigned tub/frame.

good news guys, pulled up my pics I took before I took it to mechanic and the frame supports are there. i have a few more pics ill post in a minute!

woohoo you guys scared me

IMG_2398.PNG

im not a purist but on all my trucks i made close copies of the running boards from 1/4 inch diamond plate .

When I bought my rig it had the brace, that the structure attached to the underside of the board had rusted away.

It you wanted to beef yours up while retaining the stock look, you could make a 1/4” steel plate support that fit the bottom (kinda like an insole inside a shoe) then have some 2” channel welded to its bottom to secure it to the frame support. It would still look stock... but wouldn’t be flimsy any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom