Updating a 1990's build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the rear shackles are a mess. Lots of thread lock on them, non-greasable bushings with greasable pins, no grease in them and way over torqued = shackles that didn't work and seized pins that are difficult to remove.

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6728.JPG

Cheers

So with that out of the way I stuffed the new-replacement rear axle under it, set the perches and pinion angle, put the weight on it and tacked the perches on. Rear axle since been pulled again and is prepped and ready to go along with front for the 240v machine.

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

Front Ford shock towers modified to suit this build.

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6738.JPG

IMG_6740.JPG

Cheers

Front diff and locker is done.

74 fj40 63.JPG

74 fj40 67.JPG

I also worked on the front housing today. I am a little rusty on the mig, been well over a year since I have done much welding. Nice and beefy in the MC gusset kit, I will likely be using these again on other trucks. I just need to weld the diff skid on tomorrow and the front axle is ready for paint and final assembly.

74 fj40 56.JPG

74 fj40 59.JPG

74 fj40 62.JPG

Cheers

Last edited:
3rd loaded up.

74 fj40 80.JPG

Shock is wrong, the vendor sent me a 068 8" when I ordered a 086 11" but you get the idea.

74 fj40 76.JPG

Just a quick rough measurement, 33*

74 fj40 74.JPG

It is taking a lot of profiling to clear the RCV's. The FROR high steer arms also needed some profiling on the pins, they were just to tight in the bearings. That took me a lot of time yesterday, all good now though. It also took a fair amount of time to shim it up correctly.

Cheers

Got the other side done, same deal as the LHS but more work. Nice to have it done and I am pretty stoked on it! Everything came out perfectly within spec as far as preloads. F/W hubs work like new but they are not! ;)

74 fj40 83.JPG

74 fj40 82.JPG

You can see I have the tie rod in, to fit the drag link I need to get an FJ80 reamer for the pitman arm since it is set up for FJ40 tres. I already have a tubing clamp for the damper and will be moving the original frame side bracket or making my own. In other words, I just need to put in the drag link and I can get a measurement for the damper and order it up.

Both calipers loaded up and torqued on for good. I decided not to paint them. You might notice, I am using a Trail Gear rock ring on the knuckle wiper. I got their seal as well but did not like it, the rock rings however I do like and am using them with the felt kit. You may also notice in some of the pics I have clearanced the rock rings a touch. This is due to contact with the knuckle gusset, I did not want to clearance the gusset so I did it to the rock ring instead.

74 fj40 81.JPG

The Ford shock towers I chopped 3" out of and then welded them back together. Going to tweak placement a touch more and then be ready to burn these on. Oh ya, these are the correct 11" shocks.

74 fj40 85.JPG

74 fj40 84.JPG

Should be starting in on the rear axle tomorrow. I have the rear shock mount for it so probably figure out shock length first so I can order them up.

Cheers

Rear axle is nearing completion.

74 fj40 86.JPG

74 fj40 87.JPG
74 fj40 88.JPG

Tie rod and drag link are built and the pitman arm reamed for FJ80 tres. All I got to do now is build mounts for the damper.

74 fj40 89.JPG

74 fj40 92.JPG

Cheers

I had to make a few small mods to the radiator support so I figured why not paint it too?

74 fj40 90.JPG

The traction bar is also built and painted and ready to install.

74 fj40 91.JPG

Cheers

So obviously no updates in some time. The 40 is still with me, the owner has added some many things and there has been a ton to de-f*ckify. On top of that the FAST has given me some major dramas.

The Cruiser has been on its wheels for three or four weeks now though. Today I got it aligned. I am very happy with where caster has landed.

F45DE3C9-65CB-45FC-AE62-642EC6A0B60F.jpeg

When I finally got the truck on a level concrete surface and was able to take some measurements the truck was a .5* of rake the wrong way. So still a bit higher in the front. I have got some OME rear leaves showing up today or tomorrow to fix this issue. Also, the FJ60 front brakes don’t like the supplied MAF disc conversion kit non-adjustable proportioning valve. It is like 60-40, rear to front right now. I am installing a Wilwood proportioning valve on the rear to dial it in. Other than this, it’s done.

The 40 drives nearly perfect. No bump steer, no wander, one finger on the wheel straight down the road. Zero vibes, stops very well too. Fan and shroud keep the 400 under 200 easily. Suspension works well, flexes good and not bad body roll on the road. Everything clears no probs. Locker works perfect.

I will update with more pics soon.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom