Roof Rack Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update, I got a notice on my UPS account today that Prinsu has shipped the rack and i will have it on 6/12. Maybe they really do have them in stock! We shall see. If i get it next week, this should move up my time tables for determine an alternate spacing method that seals better and provides better weight distribution.

Let us know what you find, good luck.

I also have the Prinsu rack and am very happy with it also CBI's customer service was great. I needed the rack for a trip and they had it in stock and got it to me within a week. I agree I would like a better spacer solution with a little more contact area but the way the rack uses the 4 anchor points along the roof on both sides distributes the weight so its very solid I have no concerns with it. That said if someone machined a block spacer wide enough to fit the rack foot for both bolts that fit in the channel I'd be in for a set :cheers:
I hope you enjoy yours as well @littlegreenmonster :beer:

20180327_075858.jpg
20180408_181448.jpg

I also have the Prinsu rack and am very happy with it also CBI's customer service was great. I needed the rack for a trip and they had it in stock and got it to me within a week. I agree I would like a better spacer solution with a little more contact area but the way the rack uses the 4 anchor points along the roof on both sides distributes the weight so its very solid I have no concerns with it. That said if someone machined a block spacer wide enough to fit the rack foot for both bolts that fit in the channel I'd be in for a set :cheers:
I hope you enjoy yours as well @littlegreenmonster :beer:

View attachment 1718070 View attachment 1718072

Man, they put a fence up around Windsor Ruins? Last time I was there you could walk all around with no obstructions giving you a more personal experience.

BTW, I'm trying to decide on a rack. Any noise with your Prinsu? Would you buy again?

Man, they put a fence up around Windsor Ruins? Last time I was there you could walk all around with no obstructions giving you a more personal experience.

BTW, I'm trying to decide on a rack. Any noise with your Prinsu? Would you buy again?

That would have been nice to see it then. I just did a trip up and down the trace in April and they are preparing for construction to preserve the ruins. The fence was open so you could walk around inside but I don't like it for the picture taking. Still a cool place to see in person.

On the rack noise after just installing it I had a terrible wind noise that vibrated the crossbars and rack but I went back home and made some adjustments to the front fairing and first crossbar so that the fairing deflected the wind from hitting the crossbars and it fixed the problem. You will notice a difference having the rack on there at first but after a short while it becomes normal and you don't notice it anymore. Kinda like going from a road tread tire to an AT tire you notice the difference at first but after a few miles its just the new norm. Definitely would buy it again I like the fact that you can move all the crossbars around to fit your load or trip needs. Next month we'll be taking a family beach trip I'll have my road bike, yakima hardshell cargo hauler among other things strapped to it. I'll take a pic to see how much like a Beverly Hillbilly I'll look like when its all loaded up :hillbilly: On rack options I settled between the rhino rack pioneer platform with backbone mount and the prinsu design but there are a lot of options out there I also liked some of the Gamiviti options. I preferred going with an aluminum material design for weight and weathering in our Southern climate. I saw the prinsu in person on several 4-Runners and Tacos and liked the design so I went that route saved a few dollars vs the rhino rack and to put that towards sliders. Lets us know what you settle on :cheers:

That would have been nice to see it then. I just did a trip up and down the trace in April and they are preparing for construction to preserve the ruins. The fence was open so you could walk around inside but I don't like it for the picture taking. Still a cool place to see in person.

On the rack noise after just installing it I had a terrible wind noise that vibrated the crossbars and rack but I went back home and made some adjustments to the front fairing and first crossbar so that the fairing deflected the wind from hitting the crossbars and it fixed the problem. You will notice a difference having the rack on there at first but after a short while it becomes normal and you don't notice it anymore. Kinda like going from a road tread tire to an AT tire you notice the difference at first but after a few miles its just the new norm. Definitely would buy it again I like the fact that you can move all the crossbars around to fit your load or trip needs. Next month we'll be taking a family beach trip I'll have my road bike, yakima hardshell cargo hauler among other things strapped to it. I'll take a pic to see how much like a Beverly Hillbilly I'll look like when its all loaded up :hillbilly: On rack options I settled between the rhino rack pioneer platform with backbone mount and the prinsu design but there are a lot of options out there I also liked some of the Gamiviti options. I preferred going with an aluminum material design for weight and weathering in our Southern climate. I saw the prinsu in person on several 4-Runners and Tacos and liked the design so I went that route saved a few dollars vs the rhino rack and to put that towards sliders. Lets us know what you settle on :cheers:

Thanks for the info @Volunteer! It’s funny that I happened upon you on this thread because @reevesci just sent me a photo of your rig to show me the stance on the tough dog suspension that I just ordered.

I went with the Prinsu rack about 2 years ago and it's been very useful. I'm running into a problem as I want to get a canoe, and they run about 3' wide. The Prinsu rack on the 200 is 4' wide and we also need the use of a rocket box, which is about 2' wide. That leaves me about a foot short on width, damn.

If the rack cannot suit my needs I may have to let it go. Anyone carrying a canoe on their Prinsu?

I went with the Prinsu rack about 2 years ago and it's been very useful. I'm running into a problem as I want to get a canoe, and they run about 3' wide. The Prinsu rack on the 200 is 4' wide and we also need the use of a rocket box, which is about 2' wide. That leaves me about a foot short on width, damn.

If the rack cannot suit my needs I may have to let it go. Anyone carrying a canoe on their Prinsu?
If you do decide to sell it hit me up, I may be interested.

Question....for those with a Prinsu rack, has anyone installed a Gobi ladder for the 200? If so, any clearance issues with the rack when the rear upper lift gate is open?

You could just buy some 8020.net extrusions, cut it into 9-12" lengths, and bolt them onto the *outside* of the mounting rails. That would get you 5.5-6'. I doubt it would deflect much considering the short lengths. Worth a shot.

I have carried a kayak (on it's side) with a rocket box on the Prinsu and that worked just fine. A canoe and rocket box might be a challenge for most racks. What about just mounting some Yakima or Thule bars across the top of the rack to extend the width for carrying both? 78" bars could probably be mounted - might look a little weird but would be wide!

Question....for those with a Prinsu rack, has anyone installed a Gobi ladder for the 200? If so, any clearance issues with the rack when the rear upper lift gate is open?

I have a Gobi and Prinsu - no issues with clearance at all.

Fast forward almost 2 years. I have a 200 series. My local shop that works on all the modded Toyotas in the area recommended going with front runner due to their endless accessories. Thoughts? Also I really like the look of the expedition style rails all the way around. Has anyone put these on? Height is not an issue for me because I don't garage my truck. I also wanna go with round LED spots up front over a light bar for a more classic look. Not set in stone yet though. Any comments would be appreciated

three years later I am still happy with my GAMIVITI. It comes down to personal preference. You can add accessories to any rack. Which one do you like better?

Capture.JPG
Rack.JPG

IMG_0034.jpg

Sherpa Equip (formerly Rocky Mtn Racks) will hopefully be coming out with a LC200 roof rack this year (I'm gonna try and help play guinea pig). Similar to Prinsu, but with thicker aluminum and better construction.

I get that it's a preference thing. Just wanted to see if now that some years have passed if anyone or two have come to the forefront and if anyone has any buyers remorse. I wish I would bought...

Sherpa Equip (formerly Rocky Mtn Racks) will hopefully be coming out with a LC200 roof rack this year (I'm gonna try and help play guinea pig). Similar to Prinsu, but with thicker aluminum and better construction.

yeah, they aren't going to get anyone to buy it if they don't respond to emails that are sent to them. Not a good look from a customer service perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom