What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so I bought a factory locked fj80 94. It runs good passed smog has a bunch of little things to fix. Then the other day CEL came on. I can’t figure out how to fix it. Now I have a chance to buy a 97 lx450 it has overheating problem, the guy had head rebuilt about 45,000 miles ago. And it also has a CEL light. So I’m wondering if I should buy the 97 fix it and put the lockers from my 94 in it and sell 94. Or just keep 94. The 97 is 2500$ and much cleaner than my 94. I’m completely new to the fj80s I’ve had many mini trucks and runners though I’m wondering how hard the wire part will be I’m thinking I can just pull all I need from the 94 I hope. Please let me know what you guys think

Thanks

I would stay way from an LX450 with an overheat problem. Sounds like the head gasket blew at some point in the past, and unless it's perfect afterwards, there be be other things it needs, like a Radiator, or even another new headgasket. There's a lot of unknowns. The price is right though, but you'll need to spend a bunch of time diagnosing and fixing it.

Good luck. Get your 94 running well, fix what ever is wrong causing the light. Sounds like it's already set up like you want.

What is the CEL code? If a CEL triggered me to buy a new vehicle, I would have about 157 cars by now :eek:

Overheating problems is bad juju for the 80 series. You'll be in for a lot bigger problem than whatever is causing your CEL, most likely.

Yeah from what I've heard/read, the wiring on the LXs can be a big headache. I've got a 94 and greatly appreciate the balance of convenience and simplicity. Are you familiar with how to pull the CEL codes? A lot of the codes on the 93-94 models seem to be with the EGR system and are relatively minor (but annoying). If the CEL on your 94 is something minor, I'd keep an eye out for another 93-94 that could be a donor for interior parts. I sure wish I had that option! Something always comes up.

Like others have said, you really can't make an informed decision about the '94 until you pull the code.

As for the '97, I would be very cautious. Good chance of a head gasket issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom