Recurve Dissy or HEI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
on the 84 FJ60, it has been completely desmoged (not by choice, but by how got it) and has a non USA Toyota carb. I have followed some old posts an this subject, but really need to figure a better solution than the stock dissy, because of being desmoged. just to get it on the road to test everything out, I completely cleaned the inside of the Dissy and there was a crap load of stuff in there. I added some stiffer springs and put it back together and pushed the timing to around 10 to 12 degrees. I am not comfortable with this fix because I do not have the proper equipment to make this thing right.
I am leaning toward a recurve dissy from someone who knows this distributor, but I do see some posts on HEI distributors. The stock Toyota ignition seems to be strong in the spark area but I am sure the HEI could be good too.

Reliability is my #1 goal so I am leaning toward OEM. I have an old racing buddy with an old SUN machine, but it is not working anymore. Where can I find a reliable recurve?? OR other solutions??

Recurve a stock distributor. Seriously, don't consider any other option.

Another vote for @FJ40Jim

^^^^ What they said. My stock dizzy (which was re-curved by Jim C) recently lost its pickup coil (aka signal generator). It had 200k miles, was 33 years old, and some of that in a nasty rust-loving environment. I put in a new one, and fully expect another 200k out of it. This is how nasty I let it get and it still ran fine (until the signal generator went tits-up)...
Rusty Dizzy.JPG

Last edited:
^^^^ What they said. My stock dizzy (which was re-curved by Jim C) recently lost its pickup coil (aka signal generator). It had 200k miles, was 33 years old, and some of that in a nasty rust-loving environment. I put in a new one, and fully expect another 200k out of it. This is how nasty I let it get and it still ran fine (until the signal generator went tits-up)...View attachment 1681677

THANKS, The jury is in, and it looks like RECURVE by far!! WOW, I thought mine was the crudiest but that one is even dirtier than mine. That looks like calcium buildup plus the rust. THAT pic is a testament to the power of the OEM Toyota dist!!!!! If Jim C built that one and it is still working, then he be the man!!!
Jim C it will be!!! cant wait

THANKS, The jury is in, and it looks like RECURVE by far!! WOW, I thought mine was the crudiest but that one is even dirtier than mine. That looks like calcium buildup plus the rust. THAT pic is a testament to the power of the OEM Toyota dist!!!!! If Jim C built that one and it is still working, then he be the man!!!
Jim C it will be!!! cant wait
I also had a malfunctioning VSV for the longest time...I'm sure that didn't help.

With Jim, Call him
About Us

If he does not answer leave a message, he does get back to you. PM is pointless on here for him. Otherwise Gmail may work.

Do not be in a rush, figure 6 weeks.

Curious why the hate for the HEI?
Let us count the ways to hate HEI:

Non ball bearing shaft, so it doesn't last forever, though it will make it through GM's 1973 warranty period, which was 12 whole months.

Not waterproof cap.

Tiny coil, cleverly packed inside the hot, vibrating dissy. Frequent failure ensures a ready supply of replacement parts.

Tiny ignition module, cleverly packed inside the hot, vibrating dissy. Frequent failure ensures a ready supply of replacement parts.

Breaker plate drags back & forth, rather than rotating on a ball bearing ring.

Etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom