So my "pahr stern" is leaking like a sieve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way (within reason) to rebuild the pump or do I have to buy a new one.

I already poured a bottle of that fuct up syrupy stuff in it. Still leaks....

Yes. There are an awful lot of results on the search 'rebuild power steering pump'.

Purrin that muhlasses in thar hain't gonna hep you nun.

Need ta put in new seels.

Take it out an' rebuild it or buy a new Juan.

Also it should have Dexron III or equal in it, not that clear "pahr stern flooid" stuff.

or buy a new Juan.

And don't forget to consult the Factory Service Manuel.

bbc1.jpg

Ive got a rebuilt one and a take off one here. PM if you are interested to have one to rebuild beforehand then swap.

I picked a reman up from the Autozone.

I'm curious why people say to use atf versus power steering fluid? From my point of view I'd like my ps fluid a different color so I know when it leaks vs my transmission

I'm curious why people say to use atf versus power steering fluid? From my point of view I'd like my ps fluid a different color so I know when it leaks vs my transmission
I think they’re ***cing with me on that tranny fluid suggestion.

Check on the FAQ and the owners manual. The power steering system uses automatic transmission fluid.

I think they’re ***cing with me on that tranny fluid suggestion.

Alot of people talk about only using atf in their power steering instead of actual power steering fluid.

Check on the FAQ and the owners manual. The power steering system uses automatic transmission fluid.

I don't have an owners manual and I'm positive my fsm does not say to use atf

Alot of people talk about only using atf in their power steering instead of actual power steering fluid.

I don't have an owners manual and I'm positive my fsm does not say to use atf
Page 198 of my owners manual
D37CCAB0-1A18-43F2-AD49-06F1D947B98A.jpeg

And just for good measure. From the FSM, page SR-6
94091A18-3F0F-44F9-B1C6-D7F6DD00F071.jpeg

I was just looking at mine tomight to confirm transmission oil and saw the same for the PS.

So how about the reason to use atf versus power steering fluid other then it's what the factory recommends?

So how about the reason to use atf versus power steering fluid other then it's what the factory recommends?

Toyota recommending it, is reason enough for me. After all they engineered the power steering system to operate using ATF as stated in the owners manual and FSM.

Toyota recommending it, is reason enough for me. After all they engineered the power steering system to operate using ATF as stated in the owners manual and FSM.

Toyota recommends ATF as a refill, they came from the factory with power steering/hydraulic fluid. They are close, but ATF has a bunch of additives that are not needed in a pure hydraulic system. For relatively light use ATF works, when used harder, hydraulic fluid works better, less cavitation, etc. Have resealed a bunch of them, the ones that have run ATF are always dirtier, more varnish, gel, hydraulic fluid units are much cleaner.

Our default fill is Mobil DTE light, good stuff, but not easy for most to get, plain P/S fluid (not the type for Honda, Audi) works well and is easy to get. The only time I put ATF is when nothing else is available, like on the trail, when back home flush that sh*t out.

I believe they say to use atf because it's easily accessible compared to power steering fluid. I run I think it's prestone Asian power steering fluid in mine. I have some aw32 and aw46 hydraulic fluid at my place of employment that would work also I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom