2F Oil Filter Change Without the Mess? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been using Wix filters. These do not puke their contents when you unscrew the filter. I guess that's due to the anti drain back feature?

Last change I ended up with another filter brand. Might be the puking variety so I'm wondering about a way to reduce the mess.

Question: With the filter installed if you poked a hole in the top of the filter would that cause the filter to drain itself back down into the sump?

Thanks

Neither my 62 or 40 are DD's. When I'm about to change the oil, i'll let them sit for a week so all of the oil has drained out of the filter.

I've been using Wix filters. These do not puke their contents when you unscrew the filter. I guess that's due to the anti drain back feature?

Last change I ended up with another filter brand. Might be the puking variety so I'm wondering about a way to reduce the mess.

Question: With the filter installed if you poked a hole in the top of the filter would that cause the filter to drain itself back down into the sump?

Thanks

Short answer is yes stab away. Better off just getting a can of brake cleaner when you do the oil change and just spray it all down when done

weird
never really had a mess..

using the large toyota filters....

:banana:

The WIX filter was faulty. That's why there was no oil in it when you removed it. A properly functioning oil filter should be full of oil when its unscrewed even if the engine hasn't been run in months.

In my experience, (yes I tried it) poking a hole in the top of the oil filter prior to removing it will only make more of a mess when you remove it. The hole will break the vacuum seal (if you want to call it that) that an intact oil canister creates- allowing the oil to flow out freely when you remove it.

The best way I have found to remove the oil filter on a 2F with minimal drips is to first crack loose the oil filter gasket stiction (with an oil filter wrench) when the engine is stone cold by just turning it a tiny bit CCW to break the gasket stiction free. Maybe 1/16th of a turn. The filter is easier to break free when it's cold because the metal expands when it's hot and makes it even tighter.

Get a pair of Bluettes neoprene gloves (or any thick neoprene gloves)- not thin nitrile gloves. They have to be thick because the oil filter will be too hot to hold.

Then heat up the engine for at least 10 minutes of fast idling, then shut down.

You want to drain out hot oil because it drains faster, but more importantly because running the engine prior to draining it ensures that all the moving parts are fully lubricated- because when you replace the oil filter, it will be empty, and there will be a fairly long period of time (in engine start up terms) when the engine will be running without any oil pressure as it fills the filter. A dry start.

Wrap a rag underneath the base of the oil filter and tuck it up under the filter.

Slowly, carefully, unscrew the filter with your left hand. When you feel that the filter is about to be free of its threads, but not quite, stick your middle finger of your right hand underneath the filter to contact the middle. Then unscrew the filter all the way w left hand while quickly stabbing your middle finger on your R hand up into the hole of the oil filter as it is lifted upwards.

If you are quick & not a clutz, you can lift the filter without dribbling any oil. If you are slow and clumsy, you'll make a mess.

The rag you wrapped underneath the filter will catch the few dribbles the filter makes when you pull it (quick).

With all that said, it's still wise to slide a piece of card board under the front of the truck to save your driveway because it's pretty easy to dribble more oil out of the filter than you wanted if you're a little clumsy.

image.jpeg

weird
never really had a mess..

using the large toyota filters....

:banana:
I always used Toyota filters on my 40. They would dump the oil when removed.

Did you let the vehicle sit for a day or two before changing the oil?

The WIX filter was faulty. That's why there was no oil in it when you removed it. A properly functioning oil filter should be full of oil when its unscrewed even if the engine hasn't been run in months.

Then heat up the engine for at least 10 minutes of fast idling, then shut down.

You want to drain out hot oil because it drains faster, but more importantly because running the engine prior to draining it ensures that all the moving parts are fully lubricated- because when you replace the oil filter, it will be empty, and there will be a fairly long period of time (in engine start up terms) when the engine will be running without any oil pressure as it fills the filter. A dry start.

I always do oil changes with the engine warm for the reason you gave.

About the anti drain back valve - Why would that not prevent the filter from draining itself when removed?

I actually ran around warming it up and then let it sit about an hour then went to business
never an issue

and yes there was oil in the filter..but never a mess
just unscrewed filter and put it on the oil cathing container and voila

I do have a mess with the jeep though
and of course it's right over the exhaust

now using aluminium foil over the exhaust area before doing the oil change on that one

I changed my oil cold a few times in the past, learned quickly to warm it up on a short drive and drain it warm to slightly hot... have burned my hand a few times removing the plug. Did my dodge 3500 yesterday and it spit out most of the 3 gallons really quickly. If it was cold it would take much longer and not drain the oil in the bottom of the pan as well. I like to let it drain almost completely to remove as much old oil and any buildup. After your oil change you can dump the oil and check bottom of your drain bucket to see what has settled in the bottom. Hopefully it's all oil and no sign of metal shavings. As far as the mess, I agree with @OSS. I always had a rag around the filter and just tried to keep it around the messy end of the filter. Another tip I have is if you have access to card board then put it under the vehicle when you change your oil. It keeps you cleaner climbing under there as well as the ground after. Just burn the card board after. I'm lucky cuz at work I have a cardboard dumpster so it's easy to get. Also we have a pressure washer with heat and degreaser to clean up afterward. That's just my 2 cents.

I use the large galvanized oil spill pans you can get at any auto parts store for about 12-15 bucks. When done clean it up and leave under another vehicle in garage or your FJ. I like Pig Mat for cleanup-soaks up oil excellent. Comes in sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom